Is Adobe Fireworks worth it?

JuniorD

Reaction score
I currently have two adobe products, Adobe PS, and Dreamweaver. I was hoping on making nice looking animated edits with the feel of photoshop instead of flash. Can anyone give me some good recommendations on fireworks before I buy it?

zapperpost

Reaction score
I didn't buy it. I am not sure. It doesn't look appealing maybe because I don't need it. Probably not worth the money.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Well, if you really want to see if the product is worth it, visit the link below. Adobe allows you a 30 day period after downloading and installing the software a free trial version of the full product. If you're not happy, uninstall, but if you see that it's worth it and you want to pay up, the program should give you links to buy it.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=fireworks

JuniorD

Reaction score
yeah but i want member critique on it. wanna no wuts good and bad. (ive tried the trial, but i dont remember me on it much and that was a month ago)

Last edited:

vickeej

Reaction score
Unless you're heavily into graphics Photoshop should do the trick just fine. If you have patience you can make some animations in Image Ready that comes with photoshop.

I've not used Fireworks too much so I can't be much more help than that.

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
I've used Firework a bit, and I found it to be easy to use and it had enough features to do what I wanted.

woocorp

Reaction score
I think that Adobe Photoshop CS3 would be better than fireworks, i have had personal experience and i think that photoshop is alot easier to understand.

Just my opinion;)

Hazirak

Reaction score
If you do a lot of web-based graphics, you'll probably find good use for it. Otherwise just stick with Photoshop.

Back when I used Fireworks MX in school, it seemed like something you really only used for web graphics... and it did pretty good at it. Nothing too complex, but also some features not readily available in Photoshop (vector graphics editing, image rollover effects, etc.).

Of course, as said above, a big part of it is also just personal preference.

Disclaimer: I haven't used Fireworks for at least three years, so it may have changed a bit since then.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
I bought it all as part of Creative Suite 3. Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Fireworks, Flash...the lot. It's a brilliant package, although I don't do much work Photoshop. Fireworks is cool though. It took me a while to get used to it because I normally use the GIMP (love that app), but yeah once you get used to it it's really powerful and easy to use. Combined with Photoshop/GIMP I'd say there's not a lot you can't do with it.

-Luke.

Last edited:

kkenny

Reaction score
I bought it all as part of Creative Suite 3. Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Fireworks, Flash...the lot. It's a brilliant package, although I don't do much work Photoshop. Fireworks is cool though. It took me a while to get used to it because I normally use the GIMP (love that app), but yeah once you get used to it it's really powerful and easy to use. Combined with Photoshop/GIMP I'd say there's not a lot you can't do with it.

-Luke.

I'd just say if your planning to buy another CS(X), just buy the suite. Like whatever fits your needs. Theirs one for people who edit videos/audios, one for people who do image design and that sort, and all kinds of combinations of programs you can get for a cheaper price buying in a package then buying seperately.

As for fireworks. Yeah, if you want to mae a good website, then go for it. But fireworks is mainly for web2.0 and that sort, not for photography editing or animating in my opinion.

gnutellapoky

Reaction score
Fireworks is mainly for "cool" web effects like rollovers and basic animations which could get real old if you're aiming for accessibility. It also makes creating banners and simple logos a breeze. Photoshop is more versatile (for the stuff I do anyway) since it can handle bitmaps and vectors to a certain degree. I'd get PS if you have to choose between the two. Then pick up Flash if your budget allows and you have a pretty setup. If you have a strong background in coding (html and css) then trade Dreamweaver for Illustrator and you'll be in business.