is it possible to run a full store site here

ggames

Reaction score
i'd like to make a website like amazon.com or newegg.com

tell me what i need, and how to install it and use it. thanks.

aliasneo

Reaction score
Possibly, but for commercial purposes I'm sure a premium (paid) service would be preferable for all involved.

ggames

Reaction score
how would one go about making a site like this?

does this site do actual processing. i mean can i make it so customers orders get processed here?

what do i need to do to get started? where do i download all that i need and how do i put it in here?

I am new to building websites. Guidance will be well appreciated.

jpr28056

Reaction score
I am running Prestashop which is offered through softaculous or fantistico on your cpanel. It is a very simple store that processes orders and can be tied to paypal. Go to the prestashop website and there is a lot of good information there. If you want to see what a working store looks like cling on the link in my signature.

ggames

Reaction score
what's the best free commerce software that can be deployed here.
i am looking to make a site very similar to amazon.com in appearence. i want it to have all features like visitor's ability to comment on products, and social features like adding to facebook/twitter/etc and emailing to friends.

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
OSCommerce and Zen Cart are two other good free ecommerce programs which I think are also available through Fantastico. As suggested in previous posts, I suggest you do some reading before you start this. And I would also highly recommend upgrading to paid hosting as you will probably want a dedicated IP and private SSL in order to increase security on your site and achieve higher customer trust.

Zubair

Community Leader
Community Support
Reaction score
***Moved to Off Topic***

priyaa161

Reaction score
I think you should learn some basic HTML, CSS, JavaScript and PHP before jumping in such a high end website creation, otherwise You'll left with a website which even a child can make by clicking on some options to install.

ggames

Reaction score
how long do you think it would take to learn all those? and what are the best resources to learn from? money is not a factor.

good suggestion. but i have very limited time. i have to finish this quickly and start generating revenue. thanks.

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
I have setup a few ecommerce websites. It is really not the kind of thing that can be done quickly. Even if you use the default Fantastico installation of one of these programs there is still much that needs to be changed, customized and personalized. You will need to setup all of your products, setup shipping modules, and setup payment modules just to get things started.

priyaa161

Reaction score
I have setup a few ecommerce websites. It is really not the kind of thing that can be done quickly. Even if you use the default Fantastico installation of one of these programs there is still much that needs to be changed, customized and personalized. You will need to setup all of your products, setup shipping modules, and setup payment modules just to get things started.

Oh. I was not aware of that. But I'm not suggesting him to do all programing by himself. But he must be capable of adjusting it's look and controlling some functions by tweaking codes to give his website its own distinct appearance.

I'm sure many engineers are working under Amazon and he wants to make something like that............

jpr28056

Reaction score
OSCommerce and Zen Cart are two other good free ecommerce programs which I think are also available through Fantastico. As suggested in previous posts, I suggest you do some reading before you start this. And I would also highly recommend upgrading to paid hosting as you will probably want a dedicated IP and private SSL in order to increase security on your site and achieve higher customer trust.

Only problem is you can't get into Fantastico or Softaculous right now. They haven't worked in a couple of weeks.

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Things like this always makes me laugh. You have no web design and development experience, you don't know anything about eCommerce and you want to make an amazon.com clone in minutes and get revenue ($$$) fast ... while using free hosting and free opens source software (meaning you don't have to invest a penny). Well that's just silly, to put it mildly.

You'll need experience, a good payed hosting and excellent marting skills to pool that of by yourself ... or you can pay somebody to do it for you ;)

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
Only problem is you can't get into Fantastico or Softaculous right now. They haven't worked in a couple of weeks.
OSCommerce and Zen Cart can both be downloaded and installed manually. It is not difficult is you have some very basic skills and this is my preferred way of installing most software. Fantastico and Softaculous are options for folks who do not want to do manual installs. Did not know there were issues with Fantastico and Softaculous at the present time, but I am sure they will be working again soon.

priyaa161

Reaction score
OSCommerce and Zen Cart can both be downloaded and installed manually. It is not difficult is you have some very basic skills and this is my preferred way of installing most software. Fantastico and Softaculous are options for folks who do not want to do manual installs. Did not know there were issues with Fantastico and Softaculous at the present time, but I am sure they will be working again soon.

What benefits you are getting by downloading, uploading, editing, creating database and users from cPanel. I'm wondering to know.

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
What benefits you are getting by downloading, uploading, editing, creating database and users from cPanel. I'm wondering to know.

CPanel's function is to automate and simplify certain common website management chores. Some folks might dispute that cPanel actually does that:smile:

the_site

Reaction score
Couldn't you just have items for sale and put prices on it, then set up paypal buttons next to them?
Its not an ecommerce store, but could that work?

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
Couldn't you just have items for sale and put prices on it, then set up paypal buttons next to them?
Its not an ecommerce store, but could that work?
Sure. That is an easy way of doing it if you only have a few items to sell. One would still have to create a professional looking website and create the Paypal buttons, but it would work.

ddcddc

Reaction score
This is pretty interesting. I was looking into starting an e-commerce site a while ago. Kinda fizzled out, but lately I have been contimplating gettign into it again. Thanks for all the info!