Is religion natural?

24Seconds

Reaction score
I dont think religion is a natural thing, I think its got to be taught. YOu can either be taught that a god exists, or you just die at the end. Thats my $0.02...

What do you think?

Last edited:

Akkarin

Reaction score
Well, you are taught good manners, you are taught how to speak, you are taught how to walk. Are those things not natural then?

I don't know about Religion, but it's part of belief and belief/believing is natural is it not?

Last edited:

Conor

Reaction score
If you have to be taught to do something, technically its not natural.

I think that religion can be natural but I don't believe that someone should be born "into" a religion. For instance someone could have Catholic parents, and they are automatically considered Catholic, yet they don't believe the story. Therefore, I think all children should have the oppurtunity to choose what they want to believe in at a certain age. (say 13)

FeZ.06.925

Reaction score
Its been around for over 2,000 years of human existance.. why would it not be natural?

flapietoetoe

Reaction score
i think religion is natural ... because the human grew this smart ... they needed a drive in life to keep on living , the idea of a heaven if u lived a good live is a good thing to have in ur future ...

the-void

Reaction score
Well, let's look at it from a different point of view. Children depend on their parents for love and support. When they grow up, however, they can no longer rely on this form of protection. Thus, they look up to a "higher being" as a surrogate parent. In this manner, religion provides a sense of security for humans. In some cases, however, religion has been imposed by people in power in order to maintain control over and suppress the common folk.

Last edited:

mattspec

Reaction score
religion/nature used to be closly tied in the middle ages, nowadays we have thins thing called "freedom of choice" some choose religion, some do not, be according to law, many things like not killing another person, these things are calssified as "Natural Law" (usually timeless) basically knowing right from wrong religion these days are like positive laws (things that improve the quallity of life in your surroundings, things ste by the state, things like not smoking in public areas and such) so religion is not natural, it is tought, and you do not choose to believe in it these days, you are tought to believe in is (in most cases) as the parents drag the youngins to church and thats all they know, so they "believe", thats my $0.02

_Xero_

Reaction score
Religion blows. I believe in God, but religion is so corrupt. That is the main cause of war.

Wai_Wai

Banned
Reaction score
If "natural" is meant to be innate, the answer is "no". We need to tell the infants (or at least they have ot learn) about the religions, ghosts, Gods, devils, heavens, hells and so on, or they will never know.

Last edited:

Wai_Wai

Banned
Reaction score
Should I go to heaven, or perferably hell?

Strange to say, sometimes I would like to go to hell.

It is very, very sorry to hear when someone, at the time of death, do not believe in God/Jesus, it will be sent into hell *permanently*. Everything comes to a very dead end. There is no appeal, no bounce-back, no chance, no hope, no future...

How horrible the hell is? As far as I know, it seems to be an absolute misery to live in. You have no way to escape that kind of life. Wanna suicide. Sorry, you are dead already. You cannot end this miserable life. You MUST live with it, and it is *permanent*!

One proverb says, "I need to go to hell. If I don't go to hell, who should go?" It means we should try to sacrifice oneself in order to help others.

Perhaps I shouldn't go to heaven when there are some poeple in the hell. I would like to go to hell and see how miserable these people are. If possible, I *MUST* do my best and help them out. At least give them a chance to get to heaven:
- How about an appeal? Thus the God/Jesus can hear why that guy doesn't believe in you in the first place? Maybe it has its own some difficutlies.
- How about a re-examination? Thus some guys who sincerely regret have chances to rehabilitate.
- Even better, perhaps I should rather persuade the God/Jesus to discard the idea of hell.

Sounds really weird?! But I can't help pondering on this over and over again:
Should I go to heaven, or perferably hell?

Last edited:

Maurice

Reaction score
Ehm. How could hell be bad? It only tortures BAD people. Yah, all hate hell for being good.

Being religious is not natural. The parents teaches you too be it because they are religious themself.

Wai_Wai

Banned
Reaction score
Ehm. How could hell be bad? It only tortures BAD people. Yah, all hate hell for being good.

You are right. Hell is supposed to torture BAD poeple.
I used to tihnk the same as yours.

But the meaning of "BAD" here is diferent form what we mean in daily usage.
To be specific, in religious senses, when you don't believe in God/Jesus, it is regarded as "BAD" (following your wording) and send into hell.
And "BAD" here is nothing to do with your act and virtue.

As long as the conditon "don't believe in God/Jesus" is met, you will be sent into hell.

Try to imagine, when a human is born is somewhere (actually there are many places in the world) it cannot get touched with God/Jesus (easily), no matter how many good acts or how good it is, if you do not believe God/Jesus at the time of death, you will be sent into hell.

It doesn't matter whether you are a good or bad man.

What's more, it is *permanent*.
No way to rehabilitate, no chances for them to get to heaven.
Don't think if you (really) regret in hell, you have a chance to go to heaven. No way. You are too late, sorry. God/Jesus will *never* forgive you.

Last edited:

Wai_Wai

Banned
Reaction score
In short, when someone (no matter how good/virtuous it is), at the time of death, do not believe in God/Jesus, it will be sent into hell *permanently* with NO EXCEPTION. And there is no change of rehabilitation.

It is how the hell actually operates.
So you'd better believe in God/Jesus or you will suffer *permanently* *without any single change to rehabilitate*. Don't think if you do many good acts or are being very virtuous, you can be exempted form the hell. No, you can't. You *must* send into hell.

In hell, it is nothing but sufferings. There is no chance, no hope, no future, no life. You are fated to be a *perpetual* loser.

Believing in God/Jesus is the only way toward heaven. There is no substitute, no exception. Simply thinking you can still go to heaven "if you do tons of good acts WITHOUT believing in God/Jesus" is absolutely wrong. You will just be sent to the hell and it is *permanent*.

Don't make you regret in future. Act now and believe in God/Jesus. You'll save the troubles in* permanent* sense!

Last edited:

komodolinux

Reaction score
well another slant.

a religion could be seen as a means to answer the unexplained.

ie the sun comes up. why? because a god is racing a chariot across the sky. or firing a fiery arrow. or whatever.

instead of asking is religion natural. we should ask is curiosity natural?

i would say yes as even babies show curiosity without being taught to.

Mentalist

Reaction score
I think it is natural to yearn for a deeper connection with existence -- to find something to grasp onto; something that gives one's life meaning.

From this yearning, religion arose.

Consider early mankind -- they attributed the workings of nature to the gods -- there was a god of thunder, a god of rain, a god of the sea, a god of love, etc etc. It was only natural to relate these wonders of existence to separate and powerful beings.

Religions sprung up everywhere, with each religion claiming it knows the truth. Religion has power. Most churches around at the time gained power in the dark and medieval ages by threatening eternal damnation and suffering on those who did not truly believe. It worked. The higher church officials became as powerful as kings, and as wealthy.

It has always been funny to me when someone living tells me what it is going to be like when I die. They honestly haven't got a clue -- near-death experiences notwithstanding. They have been taught since birth to believe in a specific chain of events -- whether that chain states that they shall be judged whether they are worthy of the Kingdom of God, or whether they will be reincarnated, or whatever specific religious beliefs they hold.

No one will truly know, until death comes.

BYOBForums

Reaction score
Religion causes War. Agreed. Some radical group dislikes the stance and angle of certain other groups and sets out to attack them. Simple. Religion causes War.

My opinion on Religion is this:

I think that there is a Creator. We cannot have been crafted by anything other than a careful hand. I should know. I have a microscopic Thyroid imbalance. A drop less of the stuff and I would be about 6 inches shorter. I find things like that amazing. Facts like the Sun, which makes up 98 percent of our Solar System. Imagine that! Earth is pretty damn huge. Apply that to the millions of the stars in the galaxy, and remember that the Sun is just a normal, boring, standard star. There MUST be other life out there. There MUST be. The Universe is too big to have been thrown together by some of the other crackpot theories out there.

I believe that the whole Bible and the whole network of religion was concocted to prey on our vulnerability. One of my great failings in life is that I cannot come to a decision on Religion. I have a strong case for believing it, as I have a strong case for rubbishing it completely. I don't understand how people can blindly follow an organisation that they have no proof of, where I can also question myself for not using the mind that *something or someone* gave me, and make a judgment.

That is my opinion. Do not question it, because it is my freewill opinion. I do await more of your opinions on this though. I am a little confused in this sense.

Wai_Wai

Banned
Reaction score
No one will truly know, until death comes.
Well if you believe someone's death is simply dead and nothing more, there is no heaven/hell. No the so-called spirit. You will never know what death is since your mind is stopped when your death comes. you simply can't retrieve data at that moment.

So you will truly know nothing even when you are dead!.

Wai_Wai

Banned
Reaction score
I believe that the whole Bible and the whole network of religion was concocted to prey on our vulnerability. One of my great failings in life is that I cannot come to a decision on Religion. I have a strong case for believing it, as I have a strong case for rubbishing it completely. I don't understand how people can blindly follow an organisation that they have no proof of, where I can also question myself for not using the mind that *something or someone* gave me, and make a judgment.

Religion is not about proof nor truth; it is about belief and trust.
Logic is no place in religion!!

Simply believe it. That's it! Don't question or argue it. If you do so, it is already a sin. It is an insult towards the mighty God/Jesus. Do you realise you have already done something very wrong?

People's wisdom is limited; God/Jesus wisdom is unlimited. God/Jesus is human creator, so they know everything, including things you don't know. So if you make judgement based on limited knowledge or data to challenge God/Jesus, you must fail eventually.

Wai_Wai

Banned
Reaction score
Therefore don't ever think of using our stupidity to challenge or question God/Jesus.

Try to understand God/Jesus, but *never* challenge/question/criticise the mighty God/Jesus, or do anything which negate God/Jesus

If you (keep) do(ing) so, God/Jesus will *never* forgive you when you are dead. You will go to hell *eventually*, and you will be in a very dead end.

Kurther Reich

Reaction score
Think of it this way... If it had to be taught, then how did the first person "learn" it? It's put in us to be curious about our world, how did we get here, what are we here for, how was all of this made. I belive In God, as the creator. And more and more we learn, creationism is more suported. I know people will battle this, but just answer this, tell me something The Bible has been wrong in.
-Reich