Is Wireless n worth the extra cash?

componentwarehouse

Reaction score
Hi

Im looking into buying a new wireless router, to replace our current old b standard one. I know a fair bit about the wireless n, but is it worth the extra £50 for each adapter? We have 3-4 computers online at once, and some files transferred around the network/streamed video and plenty of youtube.

But we only get 8Mbps from our ISP, so will it actually make a big difference?

Thanks
Alex

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
If you're doing a lot of heavy transfering of files throughout your network, or you get fiber optic internet (in the future) OR you have a need for range, go Wireless N. If not, go with Wireless G or a Super G router. I'm only running Super G at my house (does 108Mbps instead of the standard 54Mbps for G routers) and it runs nicely on my 7.1Mbps/1.5Mbps DSL. When I get Fiber optic, however, unless I find a way to tweak the wireless so that I can get more throughput than 50Mbps over the wireless, I might have to get Wireless N. Otherwise, go with what your needs are.

Wireless N for speed and range
Wireless G for cost and standard needs.

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with Smith.

If you really need N for say, gaming or uTorrent or somthing, i would go for it. However, because of its high speed and range, it may cause software issues.

If you just need more range on your router, try these tips from Computer Shopper Magizine from June:

ComputerShopperMag said:
1. Move your router to higher ground. The signal will radiate downward instead of hitting your foundation.

2. Use a signal extender / repeater. This repeats the signal being broadcasted by your router at a faster rate.

3. Use high gain antennas. Con: Only focuses the signal in one direction

Good luck buying!

--Leafy

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
Bah I think all this 802.11g and 802.11n is rubbish.

I've played on an 802.11b wifi connection and an 802.11g wifi connection and I didn't notice any difference in sniping in COD4 (40ish ping both times, same server)

I personally get whatever is cheapest. However if you do get an 802.11g, I hear it's not a good idea to have 802.11b devices connecting to the same wireless router.. something about slowing speeds down.. don't remember exactly, but I suggest you google it

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
uTorrent and gaming does not need Wireless N. Wireless N is if you have loads of computers on the wireless transferring loads of data over wireless, or for Range. Gaming is based on of course how good your signal is to the router, your ISP (crappy one or a great ISP), internet speed, and the networks you're connecting to or other people are using to connect to you.

Also, uTorrent is about NAT table size. The larger the table, the less likely it is for torrents to lock up the router. I've been able to do well over 2,000 connections here for a Linux Distro using a router/firewall solution I had created for me on a Linux box. If my Linksys WRT54GX were to even try to do that much, the thing would cap at 130 connections, and then any more connections, it would lock up.

Last edited:

carvers

Reaction score
If youve got no dead spots now with b and don't transfer a lot of files internally then you might as well go for g, as the bottleneck is the 8mbps from the ISP which even the best wireless router in the world cant fix. But if you share files over your network internally, internally log onto a server or want to work in the garden then n might be a good option. As more and more laptops are coming with n builtin now. My Dell (xps m1330) has it and its worked well with netgears but ive not had the oppourtunity to test it with others yet. Finnally if you want to use wireless VOIP the n routers tend to have better QOS(quality of service) features to prioritise voice over data.

In the end its balancing the money with what you actually need, only you can decide.

Ben

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
accually, n makes gaming faster. you can also post like lan partys and such. but. w/e

Shellshockr

Reaction score
Depending on how fast you need your web browsing to be, wireless N is a much faster medium compared to B or G, and much better range. Not much of a need on surfing, but I believe you will experience better online gaming and stuff. Also VOIP calls will be better than before. Cheers.

componentwarehouse

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info - much apprechiated.

The reason I thought about going for n is my new laptop does have N built in so... One other question, if I have say 2 wireless n devices on the network, and 1 wireless g, will the network speed by n or g? Or will the speed be 300Mbps to the n and 54Mbps to the g? Or does it all run at the slower speed?

Thanks
Alex

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
The N cards will connect at 300Mbps, while the G cards connect at 54Mbps. The wireless speed on the N cards will be reduced to hold the G clients, but as soon as the G devices disconnect, you'll be back at 300Mbps.