Language Rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
For some reason it seems a lot of people completely skip over this rule even though it has it's own page during sign-up AND it's in the ToS.

To reiterate we only allow sites that are in English, French, or Spanish. In the past we've let some people get by using Google translate or another translating service on their site. Due to this being misused and not accurate we will no longer allow this as of December 1st.

If your site is not in English, Spanish, or French you have until December 1st to either move it somewhere else or make a translation into one of the three supported languages. Again, using a translation service such as Google will not be allowed. This rule will start being strictly enforced as of December 1st under the 0 tolerance policy, this means if you break the rule your site is permanently suspended.

ah-blabla

Reaction score
Could I just confirm that manual 1:1 translations are still allowed? I have one site in English, but with most content translated to German as well. Would this still be allowed?

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, that is fine. Throwing a google translate link on the page is not fine is all :)

felabria

Reaction score
OK, if i have software in english, and Install a Dutch language pack, is it allowed to set dutch as default?

Last edited:

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
If we go to your site and there is not an easily distinguishable way to change it to English, French, or Spanish the site will be suspended.

felabria

Reaction score
:O ok with phpBB you first need to register, so i set Dutch as a option and not default :D

Last edited:

pixxel

Banned
Reaction score
You said that December 1st is the deadline, and I've found that my account is suspended as of this morning. Being unable to log in to cPanel, or ftp, I have no means of updating/changing/translating my files.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
December 1st is the deadline for all those using automated translation to translate from a language that isn't English, French, or Spanish. Currently, if your website isn't in either of those languages, and doesn't offer automated machine translation, you'll be suspended. As of December 1st, it's the same without the machine translation clause.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
There's always been a rule to have the site available in English, Spanish or French, either through being in one of those primarily, or to provide a translated version of the site.

As sharky says one of the big differences is that after December 1st automated translations, such as but not limited to google translate, will not be allowed. Another big change is that after December 1st this rule will also be under the 0 tolerance policy, meaning that breaking the rule will be a permanent suspension, while for now you can get unsuspended and granted a limited time to provide such translation.

Uchiha Sasuke

Reaction score
what about those who have joomla and phpbb. would it be allowed to install a language selection mod to set from lets say Japanese to english before even clicking register. or do you guys jus want us to set our default language in joomla and phpbb to english ?

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
what about those who have joomla and phpbb. would it be allowed to install a language selection mod to set from lets say Japanese to english before even clicking register. or do you guys jus want us to set our default language in joomla and phpbb to english ?

Far as I know as long as -anyone- can use the language switcher, it should be fine to stick it in whatever language you want by default.

I'd still make sure it's easily findable though - some I've seen online use the "flag=language" idea where you've got a row of flags, and you click yours to change language. That'd work cause even if "Change Language" or "Translate" was written in another language, you still try clicking the flag to change it :)

maijksbk

Reaction score
Far as I know as long as -anyone- can use the language switcher, it should be fine to stick it in whatever language you want by default.

I'd still make sure it's easily findable though - some I've seen online use the "flag=language" idea where you've got a row of flags, and you click yours to change language. That'd work cause even if "Change Language" or "Translate" was written in another language, you still try clicking the flag to change it :)
There's always been a rule to have the site available in English, Spanish or French, either through being in one of those primarily, or to provide a translated version of the site.

Last edited:

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score

I am more than aware of this; not sure why you had to quote me as though you were responding to me. Rule's been there since I joined; the part I was replying to was the default language part of the users post that I quoted.

Far as I can tell the default doesn't matter, as long as it's easy to find the button/translate system to change it to another language, and of the options english, spanish, or french must be in there. I could have a site running in Japanese, as long as I make it easy to find the translate button to put it in spanish for instance.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, as long as we can change the language without registering first that is OK. The option to change must be easy to see/find.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
Basically, we must be able to browse through the website in any of the 3 languages without any problem.

magicn

Reaction score
too bad that google transalator may not be used anymore :rant2:
you were good hosting :)

dito7967

Reaction score
too bad that google transalator may not be used anymore :rant2:
you were good hosting :)

Still is... x10 only truley supports those 3 languages though and as far as they can tell the site in english might be talking about something completely different in chinese.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Still is... x10 only truley supports those 3 languages though and as far as they can tell the site in english might be talking about something completely different in chinese.

Which is also why the zero-tolerance rule is in effect - if it turns out someone is trying to hide something in the chinese section of the site and it gets caught, the site goes away. Permanently. No more second chances.

I won't give details, but there's been some other changes going on behind-the-scenes as well. Suffice it to say there's a much better chance of locating sites hiding behind an unsupported language than there had been before :)

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
I am guessing this only applies to free hosting and not paid?

Paid's TOS doesn't contain the word "English" in it at all, so I'm inclined to say yeah - there doesn't appear to be a language restriction at all.

That being said, the obvious still applies - nothing that infringes copyright, and no warez :)

Status
Not open for further replies.