Language support

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtfmx10h

Reaction score
Hello,
I've been starting to use your hosting last week and I really must say this is the best one at the field of free hosting plans, and I've tried a lot of them past two weeks.
Couple of days ago I changed my mind about the content of my future web-site due for personal reasons, but the main difference is it won't be in English.
I used the search at the support forum, and found out there is an option to use a google web-site translator. In order to avoid rules violations and suspension of my account, I would like you to confirm it's really ok and fine by you.
The solution made by translate.google.com/translate_tools tool and provide an java-script and html code for drop-down list of around 90 languages.

Of course it's not the best thing ever, but as I mentioned before, I really do like your service and wouldn't like to leave. Hopefully this matter can be solved.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
The translation must be manual, you would need to maintain the site in both languages yourself. Often those automatic translators do a poor job which is why we at this time require you to do it manually rather then rely on an automatic translation option.

rtfmx10h

Reaction score
Thanks for a quick answer, Anna.
What if the manual translation not differs much of the automatic one?

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
As long as it's understandable, it'll be okay. The problem with machine translations (which are getting better) is that they don't understand idioms and names. People do. When Google runs across the equivalent of "it's raining cats and dogs", it makes the sentence about falling animals instead of heavy rain. And sometimes when the machine runs into a name or an uncommon word (or uncommon form of a word), the "translation" stops and it produces gibberish, trying to fit that word into a sentence it "thinks" it would understand if that troublesome word weren't there. If you know English at all, you also know that that's not what you (or your contributing author) wrote in the original language, so you can correct the problem, even if the resulting English is a little bit awkward. Someone checking your site for content problems who doesn't know your language can't make that correction (especially if they don't know the writing system). So yes, a manually-corrected translation that begins with a machine translation would be acceptable - it might even be better English than some native speakers of English produce. (The admins care about the nature of the content, they're not grammar or spelling police.)

rtfmx10h

Reaction score
Sorry for a delay.

I'll try to do my best then, in order to make it available in proper English language.

And thanks for your answer, essellar.

AngusThermopyle

Reaction score
Please note:

Terms of Service
The terms of service has been updated, it's mostly the same, don't do illegal things and we're good. :) A big change is that we no longer have a language restriction, tools for translation have come a long way since that was initially made a rule and I no longer see a point in preventing people from creating sites in their native languages.

Source: Corey's post of March 29, 2015

rtfmx10h

Reaction score
Oh, wow. Thanks a lot, AngusThermopyle. I did missed this one.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
A lot of people did I think, it was one of the more sizable changes we've made in a long time (the language restriction was there when i first joined in 2005 - 10 years ago) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.