linux users

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdw999

Reaction score
Been using Ubuntu for a couple years, just installed the latest (Intrepid 8.10) and no big issues so far. For me, Ubuntu hits a sweet spot of usability and power. If I want to be lazy and stick with a point-and-click, GUI way of doing things I can. I keep a shortcut to a terminal on my toolbar, for those times I want to embrace my inner geek, or because sometimes, for some things, the CLI is faster or easier.

The only shortcoming of Ubuntu, in my opinion, is not really a shortcoming of the distro itself--the lack of professional-grade applications for non-computer-specific uses. This is beginning to change, but slowly.

I work on my Ubuntu partition about 80 percent of the time, but there are some things I do that are easier on the Windows side. For example, there is no tool comparable with either Snag-It or CamStudio. Sure, there are plenty of ways to do screen captures using free or Linux-compatible tools, but nothing that compares to either of those in terms of ease of use or features.

Just my $0.02.

Last edited:

eagles051387

Reaction score
Been using Ubuntu for a couple years, just installed the latest (Intrepid 8.10) and no big issues so far. For me, Ubuntu hits a sweet spot of usability and power. If I want to be lazy and stick with a point-and-click, GUI way of doing things I can. I keep a shortcut to a terminal on my toolbar, for those times I want to embrace my inner geek, or because sometimes, for some things, the CLI is faster or easier.

The only shortcoming of Ubuntu, in my opinion, is not really a shortcoming of the distro itself--the lack of professional-grade applications for non-computer-specific uses. This is beginning to change, but slowly.

I work on my Ubuntu partition about 80 percent of the time, but there are some things I do that are easier on the Windows side. For example, there is no tool comparable with either Snag-It or CamStudio. Sure, there are plenty of ways to do screen captures using free or Linux-compatible tools, but nothing that compares to either of those in terms of ease of use or features.

Just my $0.02.

well try out kde install kde-core and install only programs that u want and or need. i understand where ur coming from im a gamer and thats even harder. desktop has windows and tbh vista isnt bad but would be nice they make more games for linux or at least start making ports of the games to linux. i have customized kde desktop aka kubuntu. i loving it not all that excess backage and stuff can still be done with the command line if u prefer over gui. regardless if gui is available. i started with kubuntu when edgy release was around. im using kubuntu intrepid 64bit and im hooked on it

kkenny

Reaction score
Over a half a year old thread. Topic closed...

Status
Not open for further replies.