Linux VS Windows

dwd2000

Reaction score
dwd200
you can run a system like ubuntu and use a gui ( ie a mouse)
its like windows and the easiest to use for a windows person

Okay.
Looked into it, downloaded 7.10 for both Desktop and Server editions, burned them, and even light scribed nice titles on them. Just waiting to put a PC together.
I also read that you don't need that much to run them either. The Compaq I got for my wife a couple months ago had 1gb ram (2x512mb). I just got her 4gb (2x2gb) and the store wouldn't take a trade-in, so now I know what kind of motherboard and cpu to get. I just need that and a hard drive. I have everything else.
I'm sure my wife is going to love a fourth computer in the basement. It's beginning to look like the main console in the movie, "The Matrix".
Thanks again for the info.

Stormscape

Reaction score
This is sort of like comparing a motorcycle to a bicycle. Each is good for their different uses. Windows is still a good gaming Operating System but Any POSIX system is looking very rosy for nearly any business environment, with rare exceptions.

excid3

Reaction score
This is sort of like comparing a motorcycle to a bicycle. Each is good for their different uses. Windows is still a good gaming Operating System but Any POSIX system is looking very rosy for nearly any business environment, with rare exceptions.
Agreed, windows has its moments, but so does linux. Compiz fusion cant be beat though!!! :thefinger No way windows can pull this off efficiently: www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4Fbk52Mk1w

Last edited:

Wogan

Reaction score
True - that is the other side of the coin. Luckily, you get to drop those applications you don't need. The major difference between Linux and Windows in this is that you have to pay a lot of money for the Windows equivalent of what Linux gives you for free.

I've heard a lot about Gentoo, but I'm not the kind of person (anymore) that will flip OSs at the drop of a hat, because it might be "cooler" for a "change". I have the XP, Ubuntu 6.06, Kubuntu 6.10 and 7.10 install discs, and that covers all the OSes I will ever need and/or use.

~ Wogan

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
I think it depends on what your going to be using your computer for as to which Operating System you should use. If you want to play games or use programs like Word, then choose Windows. If you want to have a server or need absolute stability but without the cost of Windows, choose Linux (One of the many forms).

GreaseMonkeys

Reaction score
I'm running PCLOS 2007 on my old 1 ghz computer... and it runs faster then my brand new dual core!
Its really functional and so far I'm liking it. All my friends complain that its hard to install applications, but
the package manager that it came with does it for you.
I like it better then windows, cause its lightning fast and I don't have to worry about the blue screen.

Russ

<b>Retired *****</b>
Reaction score
I havent read the entire thread, but i'll jump right in, and say that there is no comparing linux to windows. Linux takes it hands down.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
I don't like windows.

I prefer a Mac or Linux, because its hard to get viruses. As it is, I'm paying $80 a year for a virus scanner. I'm only allowed Windows :(

Scott B

Reaction score
I really want to switch to Linux for multiple reasons, but I'm stuck with Windows because I have dial-up and a winmodem that doesn't work in ANY Linux distro.

FalseHope

Reaction score
I can't say much for linux only they have cheaper servers :) . I only have ever had windows though.

port5900

Reaction score
Windows for alot of reasons. I can run Printers, Scanners, any Wifi card, 99% of programs out there, fix it fast with out going on line for support only to get "Oh blame ATI for not making those drivers, its not Linux's fault" and heres the #1 reason ALL ADOBE PRODUCTS. now if any ones says gimp, its cause you just dont know better.
P.S. ubuntu on my home server but i'm about to replace it with FreeNas.

kkenny

Reaction score
I like Linux more, and people saying that products on Windows that don't work on Linux, they don't know how to use something called an "emulator" such as Wine or Virtual Box.

Linux Servers are also better and easier to use then Windows servers, and they usually cost less.

I used to like Windows, but once I found out that Linux could emulate Windows programs I switched right away.

Dan

Reaction score
I like both!! Though I have to say, Linux is a lot cheaper and bug free which windows certainly is not!!

port5900

Reaction score
I like Linux more, and people saying that products on Windows that don't work on Linux, they don't know how to use something called an "emulator" such as Wine or Virtual Box.

lol come on stop it, lets think logically. When you run some thing off a emulator it runs slower thats #1....#2 Wine cant run CS3 with out crashing. Also Wine is slow on development. Omg how did you know! been there done that. Oh and Virtual Box requires you to have a copy of Windows on your HDD so what the point?

Linux Servers are also better and easier to use then Windows servers, and they usually cost less.
First part true, "usually cost less" never. Cause a Linux tech is hard to find so they demand a premium.

Last edited:

coolnos

Reaction score
Linux for me!!

because since i have old computers @ my place ( except for the laptop that is ) all pentium 2's & stuff, windows xp won't work on them like it should... i only use windows on my server ( win .net server 2003 enterprise ), but the rest are all between ubuntu and suse... ( sometimes i go for gentoo and slax )...

i only keep windows 2003 on because i like to play flight simulator 2004 online and unfortunately neither wine or cedega ran it without crashing + multisim 10 for the university studies which i would gladly get rid of if u have an alternative for linux...

cheers!!

sonicpld

Reaction score
:naughty: Well - MacOS :naughty:

For sure it's something between Lin and Win

Anyway Gamers like me prefer Windows :dunno:

tittat

Reaction score
linux its free but lacks support and updates.
But windows is more vulnerable to virus and attacks.
i cant make an decision

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
lol come on stop it, lets think logically. When you run some thing off a emulator it runs slower thats #1.....
Is Wine an emulator? There seems to be an argument.
When users think of an emulator, they tend to think of things like Super Nintendo emulators or virtualization software. This is the wrong way to think about Wine - Wine runs Windows applications in essentially the same way Windows does. There is no inherent loss of speed due to "emulation" when using Wine, nor is there a need to open Wine before running your application.
Wine isn't an emulator. Are you thinking logically?

Windows is easy but very expensive. While Linux is free.
Actually, I think Ubuntu Linux (and some other distributions) are easier than Windows. You don't have to go hunting online for applications, because most likely everything you need is in Synaptic Package Manager. And you don't have to worry about spyware and viruses like you do with Windows. For an experienced computer user, it's no problem to quickly find and install Spybot & Ad-Aware and AVG Free or Avast. However, inexperienced people usually neglect to get any kind of protection.

And when you install Ubuntu, it usually works how you want it to (open source drivers for your video card are installed by default, but a prompt will ask you if you want the proprietary driver software). But when you install Windows XP, you have to go hunt for sound drivers and video drivers.
fix it fast with out going on line for support only to get "Oh blame ATI for not making those drivers, its not Linux's fault"
Guess what? It's not Linux's fault. If ATI chooses to not make decent drivers, how about getting an NVIDIA video card? Any video card I buy is made by NVIDIA since I want to play games on Linux and don't want to support ATI if they won't make a better effort to support my OS.
heres the #1 reason ALL ADOBE PRODUCTS. now if any ones says gimp, its cause you just dont know better.
What's wrong with GIMP? Why not just use an older version of Photoshop?
linux its free but lacks support and updates.
But windows is more vulnerable to virus and attacks.
i cant make an decision
Actually, most active Linux distributions are updated far more frequently than Windows is. I don't know much about paid support for Linux, but you can get free support on the distribution's forum (such as Ubuntu Forums for Ubuntu support). It won't take long to get a response.

Last edited: