Living forever and war?

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
After my previous thread about living forever, I saw that most of the people that wanted to live forever would use that power to help others. That's when the other question hit me. Would there be wars if we all live forever?

Last edited:

SniperFox

Reaction score
There would probably always be war. Whether or not it's the same as it is now ( As in two countries or more fighting each other ), I don't know - but there will always be people who disagree on ideologies and beliefs, etc.

But there will always be fighting, unfortunately. Though probably on a much lesser scale - since we all wouldn't die, we'd realize it's just a waste of time and quit it, maybe - but there'll always be that one guy who brings up some old crap and starts it back up, you know?

bhupendra2895

Reaction score
Conflicts are ultimate truth of this planet.Humans will continue to fight due to difference in their ideologies.Since you have added living forever concept, I would say may be one day whole earth can be united in future due to a mega disaster but they will continue to fight with aliens (Surely there would be aliens in other solar systems, we can't deny that) .I think next war for us is to conquer the space, if we live forever.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Ideology is a good story to tell the masses, I suppose, but war is ultimately about wealth and resources. And living forever is going to make resources scarce in ways we really can't imagine from our current perspective. In my lifetime the population of the planet has doubled (and the population of your country, Bhupendra, has very nearly tripled in that same time) -- and that's just because of an overall decrease in infant mortality and a small increase in global average life expectancy. The projection is that we'll be at 10 billion or so in another forty years, and that really doesn't take into account the possibilities that radical advances in medicine might well tack twenty or more years onto the average life expectancy.

If we all live forever, if death is something that only occurs rarely, and then only from massive trauma, we're going to have to put an end to this "having children" habit some people have. Conserve as we might, sooner or later there isn't going to be enough rice and beans to feed everybody (meat will have become a super-expensive luxury, and the oceans will have been fished clean). And that will all happen years before we are able to terraform and migrate substantial numbers to another planet.

Hunger is a powerful motivator. Crime will increase first, and food theft will go from being a forgivable offence to the moral equivalent of running a major drug ring. (And the Javerts of this world will not throw themselves into the Seine to avoid arresting the Valjeans.) Eventually, tribalism will rear its ugly head -- the reason we're starving is because they can't keep their population under control! War is inevitable.

And the worst part of all is that we won't learn a thing from it. The scale of war that will occur will kill off billions -- enough to temporarily stay the crisis. Oh, we'll build memorials and sit through moving and passionate films about the horrors of war and how it must never happen again, but that is the least we can do -- and therefore the most that we will do. Will we look to the heavens and plan ahead? Not a chance. No, we'll complain about taxes and the waste of resources being funneled into a pointless space program after sending another dozen robots and a token astronaut or two to Mars, then sit back, watch whatever passes for "television entertainment" in that future, and slide obliviously to yet another food crisis.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
There will always be conflict. Human nature requires us to want to be at the top, and not everybody can be at the top.

As to living forever, I wouldn't like to live while all my friends die, again and again.

~Callum

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Why is there always some excuse for war? Some say it's "human nature", some say it's "god". Those are excuses made to justify the war, not the causes.

bhupendra2895

Reaction score
Why is there always some excuse for war? Some say it's "human nature", some say it's "god". Those are excuses made to justify the war, not the causes.
When we say its human nature then cause does not hold importance.War is not a battle, it is a set of battles.Therefore I said
Conflicts are ultimate truth of this planet.Humans will continue to fight due to difference in their ideologies..
I used the word fight not the word war.

What you wrote is 100% correct, in the history of mankind there is cause behind every war and no war is fought without any cause.God and human nature are excuses for fighting a war.But if I say the word fight, hatred instead of war then it becomes human nature or God gift.

GtoXic

x10 Support
Reaction score
There would probably be a war that rages on forever because no one can die. Although, it might stop if someone makes a treaty etc etc etc etc

~John

Last edited: