Looking for good ISP for trying out a home server

taha116

Reaction score
So ive tested it out and its runing fine... my problem is the transfer speed wich is like .4-.6 MBPS Im looking for someting atleast 3 + to 10 (uplink) and a decent download would be nice as well. If it helps im in canada. Any suggestions ive treid for a couple days and couldnt find anything sutiable.

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
You would probably need fiber optics if you want faster than 1 mbps up

taha116

Reaction score
Can you be more specific? I know what fibre optics are but if you could explain better how i would do that and give me a company name or two that would be great.

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Can you be more specific? I know what fibre optics are but if you could explain better how i would do that and give me a company name or two that would be great.

idk, I don't live in Canada, but I do know you need to drag a fibre optics cable to your house before you can use it, if it hasn't been done already.

taha116

Reaction score
Umm well that shouldnt be to difficult or expensive should it?

Anyone else got anytihng?

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Umm well that shouldnt be to difficult or expensive should it?

Anyone else got anytihng?

I'm pretty sure laying fiber optic lines is an expensive task. Usually a phone or cable company does it.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Check with your existing ISP and see if they offer a BUSINESS plan.

Personal plans don't have much upload because there's no reason you need to be uploading at huge speeds (fast enough for a video game, but not for a server). That's also because if you read the terms from your ISP, you'll probably notice something like "Running a home server is not allowed with this service."

Course they probably won't hunt you down, cause it runs so slow it won't matter.

But yeah see if they have a business plan for your area; the business plan -should- have much faster upload and if you're lucky won't require any extra hardware to make it work.

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
You're not going to get much more with DSL. Are you sure there isn't a cable internet provider you could switch to?

taha116

Reaction score
I keep looking around most of the popular ones seem to have business plans with higher download speeds and still bad upload speeds...

Ive looked at a couple more, What does x10 use? how do they pull it off?

zen-r

Reaction score
Ive looked at a couple more, What does x10 use? how do they pull it off?

I'm sure that is commercially sensitive information.

There are spies everywhere, you know.

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if you are planning to set up as x10's chief competitor! ;)

taha116

Reaction score
?????????? why wouldnt that suprise you? and why do you always think the worst of me? comon man i want to try runing secure server at home thats all.. I like the idea of do-it-yourself when it comes to that kinda stuff thats all... but i get what youre saying these are punlic forums.

pceasies

Reaction score
Like others have said, your best bet is to call companies that offer access in your area and ask about business plans/plans with a high upload.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Depending on what you're trying to do, you're going to want to get a dedicated Fiber Optic connection. Cable, DSL and even T1 will probably not cut it at all. x10 is in fact running servers inside of datacenters. Each server would have a 1Gbps Ethernet port, with the datacenter having 10Gbps+ of Fiber Optic bandwidth with several peering points.

Really, the cheapest way to run your own server would be to buy/build a server and colocate it in a datacenter nearby you, or of course rent a dedibox/VPS from someone. But if you do want the extra bandwidth in your home, look into companies like Cogent and Level3, and other Tier 1 providers. Here at my home, I can get a dedicated fiber line for $5 a megabit (upload and download) plus payment for the fiber line to be ran from the fiber cable running to the Telephone/DSL remote to my home (telco fiber for remotes, should be able to use it for business purposes) and the equipment such as the ONT. Obviously the reason I can get fiber so cheap is because I can get it from Cogent, and because I'm near a major exchange point for their network, and fiber optic cable is within walking distance of my home. Though yet again I'm in the US so things may be different.

But really the only company that I can see that will supply you with anything would be Bell, and even so, they'll probably put you on their GAS network which will most likely still have throttling on it, unless you live in a major internet exchange such as in Toronto, then you might be able to get other companies such as the Toronto Internet Exchange company to give you fiber.

May I mention though, if you're running something super light, your upload right now should be just fine. Back when I first started my site, I ran it off of 768kbps download/128kbps upload on a DSL connection before I boosted the line to 3Mbps download/768kbps upload, and later on to a provisioning of 7.1Mbps download/1.5Mbps upload (on x10Hosting at this time) with an upload double of where it should be. My ISP does state in their TOS that servers should not be ran on the connection, however my ISP unblocked port 80 a few months ago (all ports are WIDE open now!) and they run their own server via the modems on their newer modems now, and since I run servers all the time on my connection, I'm pretty much safe to say that they don't care. I haven't heard a peep out of them in the 4 and a half years I've had DSL here, and they haven't done anything to my line as well.

Last edited:

zen-r

Reaction score
?????????? why wouldnt that suprise you? and why do you always think the worst of me? comon man i want to try runing secure server at home thats all.. I like the idea of do-it-yourself when it comes to that kinda stuff thats all... but i get what youre saying these are punlic forums.

Lol.

You just don't understand when someone else is joking, do you?!

Here's 1 other example of many recent similar situations, this time between yourself & ichwar ;

http://forums.x10hosting.com/off-topic/99625-x10-forum-changes-2.html#post559422

Tip : if you don't understand the use of humour, it sometimes helps to look out for smilies that people might post at the end of their message, like these ; ;) , :biggrin: , :lol: , :naughty: etc.

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
Lol.

Here's 1 other example of many recent similar situations, this time between yourself & ichwar ;

http://forums.x10hosting.com/off-topic/99625-x10-forum-changes-2.html#post559422

Tip : if you don't understand the use of humour, it sometimes helps to look out for smilies that people might post at the end of their message, like these ; ;) , :biggrin: , :lol: , :naughty: etc.

Lols should I start trolling the forums now? :biggrin:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Lol.

C'mon zen-r, quit picking on taha all over these forums or I'll extend my picking on you out of the forum games section. :biggrin:

zen-r

Reaction score
I'm certainly not picking on him.

He just seems to take offence at everything that is written with humour, with the intention of putting a smile on people's face (including his own).

Anyway, didn't you see the link I posted? In that thread, you "picked on" taha116 twice (ie. you twice used sarcasm, with the intention of making us all smile).

(So as not to take this thread off-topic, I'm ending my part in it here. If anyone has anything more to say about this, please take it to the http://forums.x10hosting.com/forum-games/58657-new-biggest-thread.html ) :)

taha116

Reaction score
Thanks Smith for the super-long post that i had to take 3 different brakes inbetween while reading.

Zen-r stop bulling me:tear:
Ich thanks for telling him to stop:bowrofl:
Smith what does trolling mean?:confused:

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
Thanks Smith for the super-long post that i had to take 3 different brakes inbetween while reading.

Zen-r stop bulling me:tear:
Ich thanks for telling him to stop:bowrofl:
Smith what does trolling mean?:confused:

If you know what an Internet Troll is, you'll figure it out quite quickly. Basically it's someone who is in your face all the time and is always saying "No don't do this!" or "This Sucks!." Urban Dictionary can give you a better definition than me.