Lotus server - Recovering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwilkinson199878

Reaction score
The server seems to have been down a while now, but I just checked there now and it seems back up but there are now files in my home directory and filezilla says that the home directory is not available. It's maybe on it's way to recovery. Hopefully. :)

Anyone else got the same issues?

Last edited:

memoryle

Reaction score
Yes! Lotus was down for I guess around 3hours. :O Some disaster at x10hosting? Lotus is back up but all my files are gone.

spydude2013

Reaction score
same problem.. cpanel works, but site is gone..

cpanel give a error in stats like:

can't create /home/madman/.cpanel/datastore/all_iplist.db: No such file or directory at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/DIp/MainIP.pm line 250
Carp::croak('can\'t create /home/madman/.cpanel/datastore/all_iplist.db: No s...') called at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.2/x86_64-linux/Storable.pm line 76
Storable::logcroak('can\'t create /home/madman/.cpanel/datastore/all_iplist.db: No s...') called at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.2/x86_64-linux/Storable.pm line 258
Storable::_store('CODE(0x2866c10)', 'ARRAY(0x2dc45e0)', '/home/madman/.cpanel/datastore/all_iplist.db', 0) called at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.2/x86_64-linux/Storable.pm line 218
Storable::nstore('ARRAY(0x2dc45e0)', '/home/madman/.cpanel/datastore/all_iplist.db') called at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/DIp/MainIP.pm line 250
Cpanel::DIp::MainIP::getconfiguredips() called at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/DIp/MainIP.pm line 61
Cpanel::DIp::MainIP::getmainip() called at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/DIp.pm line 40
Cpanel::DIp::isdedicatedip(184.154.58.130) called at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/ExpVar.pm line 493
Cpanel::ExpVar::hasdedicatedip() called at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/StatsBar.pm line 63
Cpanel::StatsBar::api2_stat('rowcounter', 'mainstats', 'display', 'hostingpackage|shorthostname|cpanelversion|theme|apacheversion|p...') called at (eval 15) line 1
eval '$dataref = [Cpanel::StatsBar::api2_stat(%{$rCFG})];' called at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Api2/Exec.pm line 87
Cpanel::Api2::Exec::api2_exec('StatsBar', 'stat', 'HASH(0x2d3bb30)', 'HASH(0x2a3d4d0)') called at cpanel line 621
main::real_cpexectag('<?cp StatsBar::stat(^J[tr class="row-%"]^J [td class="stats_lef...') called at cpanel line 3881
main::dotag_finished_headers(0) called at cpanel line 3676
main::cpanel_parseblock('<table width="100%" id="stats_extended" class="truncate-table" c...') called at cpanel line 3627
main::cpanel_parse('GLOB(0x2a3e370)') called at cpanel line 2480
main::doinclude('/usr/local/cpanel/base/frontend/x3/branding//extended_statsbar.h...', 0, 1) called at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Branding.pm line 52
Cpanel::Branding::Branding_include('extended_statsbar.html') called at (eval 5) line 1
eval 'Cpanel::Branding::Branding_include(@{$argref});' called at cpanel line 1152
main::real_exectag('<?cp StatsBar::stat(^J[tr class="row-%"]^J [td class="stats_lef...') called at cpanel line 3878
main::dotag_finished_headers(0) called at cpanel line 3712
main::cpanel_parseblock('<cpanel Branding="include(extended_statsbar.html)">^J') called at cpanel line 3627
main::cpanel_parse('GLOB(0x28d2570)') called at cpanel line 5011
main::run_standard_mode() called at cpanel line 420

cwilkinson199878

Reaction score
I'm getting similar errors. I have also noticed that email doesn't work either. X10 is having a bad day!

emuzikars85

Reaction score
Same here, all files are gone!doese anyone know when (if) the restored service will come back?:confused:

ledz3pp28

Reaction score
Same for me, all my files are gone. Luckily, i made a backup few days ago. I hope our files will be recovered

rock2fun

Reaction score
I am having the same problem still and I didn't have a backup of my own so I am hoping they are able to recover and fix what ever caused this problem.

claserc

Reaction score
Why is it predominantly Lotus that's giving all these problems?? I've got another site on the Boru server and for the past year or so, no problems at all. This is really ridiculous!! We're losing business here!!

cwilkinson199878

Reaction score
I think lotus is back up and running. FTP, HTTP and email seem to be working fine for me. I was in the middle of backing up my site when it went down, which was inconvenient! Lotus has been having lots of problems lately, I hope they get it fixed soon.

I agree with claserc, no other servers seem to have these problems, just lotus!

---------- Post added at 07:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

I am having the same problem still and I didn't have a backup of my own so I am hoping they are able to recover and fix what ever caused this problem.

Usually when this happens the files are never lost, but just to be safe, when the worst happens, make a backup now while lotus is working!!

Last edited:

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Hello,

I believe Lotus went offline due to a problem with the SAN setup. Lotus' hard drive may have lost connection with Lotus itself, therefore making all of your files unavailable. If this does happen again in the future, then please be assured that no files should be lost.

Usually when this happens the files are never lost, but just to be safe, when the worst happens, make a backup now while lotus is working!!
Correct. Files should not be lost, but backups are recommended :)

Why is it predominantly Lotus that's giving all these problems??
Lotus is a 'high risk' server. This means that all/most of the accounts that are in a High Risk country (ie. known for moderate abuse) are automatically placed on this server. This may mean that Lotus may get slightly more abused than the other servers.

I've got another site on the Boru server and for the past year or so
It is against the Terms of Service to own more than one account. Please read the TOS which you read and agreed to when you signed up.

Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Good to hear everything's working again :)

cwilkinson199878

Reaction score
Lotus is a 'high risk' server. This means that all/most of the accounts that are in a High Risk country (ie. known for moderate abuse) are automatically placed on this server. This may mean that Lotus may get slightly more abused than the other servers.

You say here that Lotus is a high risk server, but I am in the UK, one of the whitelisted countries on x10. Have I been misplaced?
If so, can I get moved to another server or am I stuck with lotus. One more question, if Lotus gets abused allot are my files safe? is there a chance of my sql databases for my joomla site being hacked into?

Thanks, Chris

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

Lotus is a bit on the slow side, is there still problems with lotus?

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
You say here that Lotus is a high risk server, but I am in the UK
You might have signed up before Lotus has become a high risk server, or I'm not actually sure if Lotus is just purely high risk users - I think some whitelisted users are also randomly placed on this server. I'm not sure though.

If so, can I get moved to another server or am I stuck with lotus.
Unfortunately it is currently impossible to move accounts from one server to another.

if Lotus gets abused allot are my files safe? is there a chance of my sql databases for my joomla site being hacked into?
No, only your user has access to your MySQL databases. The only possible vulnerability would be if there was a vulnerability in your Joomla site itself (ie. an older version, a vulnerable plugin, etc)

cwilkinson199878

Reaction score
You might have signed up before Lotus has become a high risk server, or I'm not actually sure if Lotus is just purely high risk users - I think some whitelisted users are also randomly placed on this server. I'm not sure though.

Unfortunately it is currently impossible to move accounts from one server to another.

No, only your user has access to your MySQL databases. The only possible vulnerability would be if there was a vulnerability in your Joomla site itself (ie. an older version, a vulnerable plugin, etc)

Ok, thanks, I always keep my joomla site up to date, I currently have version 2.5 which seems to be the lastest.

I've been a member from September, was Lotus a high risk server then?

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

How would people abusing the server, put it down so often. It seems to be down more than once or twice a week!

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Lotus has always been dedicated for "high risk" usage—that's why it was created in the first place. Not only does it tend to get hammered by abusive new accounts (as far as I can tell, there are around seven billion people in the world and only about a couple of hundred million consciences to share among them*), but there are also a whole lot more accounts on that server than on any of the others. In a lot of ways, Lotus is a lot like the short-lived "normal" Free Hosting server Fris—it's really pushing the limits in terms of the number of user accounts and reliable storage, and venturing into territory where there's not a whole lot of "best practices" experience to go by. But unlike Fris, many of the accounts are themselves short-lived, so just cleaning things up once in a while (actually deleting terminated accounts rather than marking them inaccessible) often solves the problem.

The x10Hosting "servers" are actually pretty complex networks of machines, including a load-balancing front end, a cluster of "processing servers" that actually do the heavy lifting, a SAN (Storage Area Network; you can think of it as a ginormous RAID array taking up several server racks that works something like an external hard drive with a really, really fast USB connection if you need a mental picture) and a similarly complex "database server" that acts as if it's installed on the same machine. Keeping all of the parts talking to one another is not a simple task, especially when there are so many accounts to manage.

That said, there's still the issue of your server assignment. It's based on an IP lookup when you sign up, so it doesn't so much matter where you are physically as where your ISP is at the time of sign-up, since the remote IP address that x10 sees will be one of the addresses in the block that the ISP holds. If you are using one of the small outfits that lease sub-blocks from a larger provider, and that larger provider happens to be outside of the UK, then x10 is going to see an address that "belongs" to, say, Sealand or Gibraltar or some such, and assign you to a server based on that information.

* To be as fair as possible, there's a bit of a different sort of ethic in countries and cultures where skirting the system (cheating) is, or at least has been, the only way to get ahead in life. People may be locked in by totalitarian governments, by restrictions deriving from racism or class/caste (and don't let anybody try to tell you that caste no longer matters) or by chronic poverty. For many, it's the "taking a loaf of bread when you're starving to death isn't really stealing" thing. But there are a lot of just plain criminals and posterior orifices out there as well.

Last edited:

cwilkinson199878

Reaction score
That said, there's still the issue of your server assignment. It's based on an IP lookup when you sign up, so it doesn't so much matter where you are physically as where your ISP is at the time of sign-up, since the remote IP address that x10 sees will be one of the addresses in the block that the ISP holds. If you are using one of the small outfits that lease sub-blocks from a larger provider, and that larger provider happens to be outside of the UK, then x10 is going to see an address that "belongs" to, say, Sealand or Gibraltar or some such, and assign you to a server based on that information.

At the time of signup my IP was located in Livepool, UK. I'm in Northern Ireand, (just aross the waterabit)

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Checking your account data, it shows your signup IP as "unknown". That would certainly have landed you on Lotus if it allowed you to create the account at all -- I'm surprised it didn't flag the signup attempt as using a proxy or an anonymizer and tell you to try again using a direct connection, to tell the truth. You might want to try completely backing up your account, then submitting a ticket to see if you can have your existing account completely deleted so that you can re-create it immediately with the same x10 subdomain. That will require a higher level of access to the server than we volunteers have.

cwilkinson199878

Reaction score
I might try that, but will it take long? I haven't had a good experience with X10 support tickets. I never get replies.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
You're not likely to get a reply if your issue is an n-plicate of the same thing that a few thousand other users on your server are experiencing -- literally hundreds of tickets can hit the system within a few minutes, and there simply isn't enough staff or volunteers to reply to all of them. When the issue is unique to your account, you'll get a reply -- but make sure you use the ticket system and not the forum. When it's something the volunteers can't handle, it will be escalated to someone who can deal with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.