Love the Hosting Hate the Suspensions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Love the Hosting Hate the Suspensions. I hate getting these notices in the email all time that my account has been suspended how utterly lame to make it a requirement to login to your control panel or the forum. I would love to see a change in policy that would encourage the usage of the forum with out twisting my arm behind my back and making me submit to these mundane rules. However it is the best free service out there and I will continue to use it regardless but I do wish that you would exercise a little more professionalism in your hosting rules.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
You are getting something free. No charge.

All they ask is that you log into the Forum once every 31 days. You do not have to post.

You think that is too high a "price" to pay? How important is your site to you? Not worth 5 minutes every month?

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd say it is a reasonable requirement, spend a few minutes each month to get yourself updated with what's going on, what maintenance may be planned etc.

We do not require posting, other hosts do that, and some even given a minimum amount posts per month you must reach to get/keep the hosting account.

I've also seen some free hosts measuring how active your site is in terms of visitors, not sure if they have to be unique but I'd guess they might need to be, which means if your site doesn't take of as you hope for, you may lose it (I've mainly seen this when ads are required though).

We do need some way to measure that you are actively using your account, otherwise we'd end up with several thousand accounts wasting space by just sitting there unattended, and unwanted. Without clearing out unused accounts regularly we'd not be able to offer free hosting under these conditions.

nastus

Reaction score
From when I was back in free hosting here many years ago, I found it odd as well - but then I compared x10 to all the other "free hosting" websites... It really wasnt comparable, you get so much more out of x10hosting and all you have to do is login to the forums once a month for like 5 minutes. Just go read some news, maybe post something - there is a great community around here!

Reaction score
sure I do understand the policy but this is a place for feedback. So I posted the most obvious and I am sure there is a great community here my only thing is that suspending the account is a bit extreme. I have go fishing for logins and stuff and however nice you all are here I have a lot of things to do with my time other than go fighting to recover my account and using my marginal bandwith I only get 5 gigs I 4 spent I am on my last few next month I may loose my internet and when I get it back I would like to find that my account is still online and active. I don't really have much on it just a resume. It would be nice to send a letter every month that contained links to the bbs and a keep account active link maybe. but to just shut down someones site is well not very pleasant. If I go down for a couple of months then what I just get suspended because I can't access the internet. I have a baby and somethings are more important than paying for the service. but I would still like my resume to be online while down. I hope this information is useful to help make x10hosting even better. It is as you have all said the best free hosting available and don't get me wrong I love the service except not being able to email from php and that I do understand and even made a work around. I still get my email.

klinestudio75

Reaction score
The monthly logins are a bit annoying but hey its free so its no big deal as far as I am concerned. its a small price to pay for something like this.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
While I appreciate the feedback the monthly login will not be removed. You're getting something at absolutely zero cost and you have to compromise somewhere, this is it.

What I have a hard time with is understanding why people have such a problem taking literally 30 seconds of their time each month to keep their account active. We need to know who is using their account and who is not, this keeps the servers clean so they run smoothly.

Another thing I don't understand is how people have the time to write up a post complaining about the rule but don't have the time to log in. If you took the time you spent writing this post you could have logged in the forum once every month for at least 6 months.

I will *never* understand why people complain about such a simple and easy to follow rule when they get so much for nothing. I also don't understand why people agree to the terms then come and complain about them... maybe it's just me.

We will continue to enforce this "utterly lame" rule in order to keep your site online and working properly.

xkiller21332

Reaction score
just to clarify, you only need to login to this forum? the main cpanel? or the user account management page?

coz i logged-in to the account panel and cpanel a few days ago and now they sent me a mail saying i've been inactive for 39 days.. lol..

Last edited:

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Only logging into this forum will count towards keeping the account active.

For those who think finding a very small amount time to login here in order to keep your account active:

There's an option to get rid of the need to login once every 31 days, plus get a little boost to your account, our Prime Membership. The price is only $4.95 for a full year.

Last edited:

Lexay

Reaction score
To be honest the suspensions aren't bad, but they are slightly annoying.

Reaction score
While I appreciate the feedback the monthly login will not be removed. You're getting something at absolutely zero cost and you have to compromise somewhere, this is it.

What I have a hard time with is understanding why people have such a problem taking literally 30 seconds of their time each month to keep their account active. We need to know who is using their account and who is not, this keeps the servers clean so they run smoothly.

Another thing I don't understand is how people have the time to write up a post complaining about the rule but don't have the time to log in. If you took the time you spent writing this post you could have logged in the forum once every month for at least 6 months.

I will *never* understand why people complain about such a simple and easy to follow rule when they get so much for nothing. I also don't understand why people agree to the terms then come and complain about them... maybe it's just me.

We will continue to enforce this "utterly lame" rule in order to keep your site online and working properly.

It is just that some times, people may not be able to get access to the internet, always see their email to check on there status or they forget, and that that is what makes this rule utterly lame.

As far as agreeing to terms do you actually know the terms of all the software and all the websites you visit. Ya I didn't think so! So your point is invalid.

You have the right, as it is your service to do as you please but then why do you have a feedback on your BBS?

I know there are better ways to achieve the same objective without constantly suspending sites because they don't log on to a blog. Then you would have happier people using the blog because the truly want to, not because the have to to keep their hosting. It is a mild difference but a difference that makes you look better and hosting more attractive.

This is the big point that a small difference would make. Say, I am a prospective customer and would be considering using your hosting on a paid basis (after all that is your objective is it not!). Then I must consider several things that I observe about the hosting service like how nice it the customer service to deal with? I would give you fail here. how fast is the server uploading and downloading files? download good upload slow 50/50 here. From what I have observed so far is: "that your probably only good as a free service". Is that really what you want the world to see about x10hosting? You should make a good impression on clients as a service and as an administrator. I tell you these thing's from experience as the owner of BestBusinessHost.com I have to deal with business constantly and I use feedback to fine tune and improve my services. I would never consider ignoring any feedback to improve my service because you have to know the primary business focus is always on the customer and never on myself. Or "The customer is always right". Failure to observe this age old rule is to assure failure. From my general observation about your hosting free or not people would most likely leave your service to use another paid service. If you wish to improve your services and turn free users to paying clients then you need to spend more time advertising and less time aggravating customers. I see many complaints on this topic that most people find it annoying but love the free service. That should be a clue to the direction you need to take to convert free users to paid users. Couple that with free advertising instead of sending service cancellation send advertising like " Hey we have the best free service available try our paid hosting to unlock all the services on website". Then offer an incentive like the first year 2.95 for our current free hosting users. If you give people what they want they will come back for more. But like I said your the administrator and you can do as you wish even if it failure that you hope to achieve.

---------- Post added at 11:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

Only logging into this forum will count towards keeping the account active.

For those who think finding a very small amount time to login here in order to keep your account active:

There's an option to get rid of the need to login once every 31 days, plus get a little boost to your account, our Prime Membership. The price is only $4.95 for a full year.

It is very hard to find that information on your website and it is a very good deal. The only thing I don't see is the ability to email from php being lifted so by not seeing that I assuming that is only available to full membership members or maybe not. If send mail were available from php scripts then that would make the decision for me easy and "Hell's Ya!!!" I would pay that right away and so supper happy with the free hosting. I will still probably pay just because trying to remember to logon once a month is not easy with my busy life. I sometimes don't even get a chance to shave for days. I have a wife and a baby and being a computer programmer keeps me so busy I just don't have time to keep up with everything I have already had my account suspended twice and it is not fun trying to go through all the steps to get my account restored. especially when I have much more important things to do with my time like play with my baby.

henk506673

Reaction score
i perrsonaly think that as everyone else does that is is a small price to pay
also i am not sure so dont quote me on this but doesnt it allow for new space to be created on the servers if you are no longer using the account

lslhsys14

Reaction score
Me too. Love the hosting hate the suspensions. by the way, better than host "byethost"

calistoy

Free Support Volunteer
Community Support
Reaction score
It is just that some times, people may not be able to get access to the internet, always see their email to check on there status or they forget, and that that is what makes this rule utterly lame.
Compared to the more serious violations of TOS that cause users to permanently lose their accounts, inactivity is an easily solvable suspension that doesn't cause that. If you forget, then it'll be your reminder. If you don't want it at all, then invest in the better hosting packages such as Illuminated or Premium so you won't be bothered with it. Calling it lame and complaining about it isn't going change the fact that it is a term that you agreed to keep and be aware of.

As far as agreeing to terms do you actually know the terms of all the software and all the websites you visit. Ya I didn't think so! So your point is invalid.
How does your willful ignorance of the terms of service make his point invalid? When you agree to a TOS you give the servicer of those terms the power to enforce them. How is that not clear? The x10hosting free hosting TOS isn't full of hard legalese words. It's actually very simple and short compared to those terms of "all of the software and other websites" you refer to. Just go take a look at it. It's all very clear and in plain language for any native English speaker to understand.

If you don't want to follow the TOS and complain about it, then that really is your problem and not the x10hosting when it is a completely reasonable and simple term to follow.

I have a wife and a baby and being a computer programmer keeps me so busy I just don't have time to keep up with everything I have already had my account suspended twice and it is not fun trying to go through all the steps to get my account restored. especially when I have much more important things to do with my time like play with my baby.
You obviously have important priorities to keep in your life, and I actually admire that. But when you agreed to the TOS, all we can assume is that you read (are aware of) and will follow them in order to keep your account online and unsuspended for any reason. That assumption also reasonably extends to that you are able to make arrangements to keep your account active (aside from not ever knowing your circumstances beforehand). These terms of service apply to EVERYONE. We will work with you as reasonable adults to help you get unsuspended for inactivity if it happens again, but whining at us that the rules you agreed to are lame are only going to make us shake our heads.

I know there are better ways to achieve the same objective without constantly suspending sites because they don't log on to a blog.
What do you think we should do about it? Corey, the owner of x10hosting, has explained why it's done like this. We've already seen many others complain about the same thing. Are you going to make your suggestions, or are you going to continue to remain unhappy about this and complain about it? I really hope that this thread can be more helpful and productive than it started out being and not end on a sour note. I'm curious about what ideas you have about it.

Last edited:

khopcraft77

Reaction score
Is it unreasonable to be forced to communicate with awesome people to get something this good for free? This community thrives, and will continue to do so because of that policy.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Is it unreasonable to be forced to communicate with awesome people to get something this good for free? This community thrives, and will continue to do so because of that policy.

Quick note just to be safe, we don't force you to communicate/post, just to visit. That said, it's surprising how many different discussions one could join into if they felt the need :)

Status
Not open for further replies.