Low cost or free ISP recommendation?

dawns123forum

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good low cost or free internet service provider?

This would be for someone that does not have internet access in their home, is on a very fixed income, and would like to surf the net without having to go to their public library to do so.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
:confused:

zen-r

Reaction score
Don't you think you ought to say what country & region this is for?!! ;)

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I guess you don't have much experience in how it works and I have to agree with zen-r, you have to tell us what country & region this is for, but be careful cos letting everybody know where you live could turn out to be a privacy or even security issue.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Well, really unless your neighborhood by any chance has a free connection that comes via a WISP (Wireless ISP) or if you're in an apartment that has a T1 line for the tenants to use, you'd have to look into a budget DSL or cable connection. These connections shouldn't cost any more than $20, and are hopefully unlimited data usage providers as well who don't throttle.

If you or the person who you're looking for doesn't have Cable or DSL available to them, they're stuck pretty much (dial-up still requires a landline, and given the telco you'll be paying at least $20 a month for that plus the dial-up service). Of course, if the person has a wireless card on their PC, perhaps a friendly neighbor who has a router will let you/whoever use their connection.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
These days, I believe that free internet doesn't exist. Although you could connect to a neighbor's WLAN...

dawns123forum

Reaction score
thanks for your comments.

leviathon, you are right, I don't have the slightest idea what to advise her.

I remember back, a long time ago, there were companies like netzero and juno that offered ad-splattered dial up for low cost. I thought I could suggest one of them to her and a google search brings up alot of stuff. But, I can't tell if it is unsavory or not. I thought maybe someone in this community might have had more experience in this than me.

She lives in the US, so any ideas would be cool, but if there isn't really anything out there, she will just have to continue to go with her senior club to her library.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
thanks for your comments.

leviathon, you are right, I don't have the slightest idea what to advise her.

I remember back, a long time ago, there were companies like netzero and juno that offered ad-splattered dial up for low cost. I thought I could suggest one of them to her and a google search brings up alot of stuff. But, I can't tell if it is unsavory or not. I thought maybe someone in this community might have had more experience in this than me.

She lives in the US, so any ideas would be cool, but if there isn't really anything out there, she will just have to continue to go with her senior club to her library.

In all seriousness, if she wants internet from home find a budget dry-loop DSL/cable connection. They shouldn't cost any more than $20 a month. Even then a neighbor might be friendly enough to let her use the Wi-Fi. For the dial-up, you still have to probably pay $23 a month for the land line to use it over anyways.