Mac or PC

BentFX

Reaction score
I've never driven a Mac, yet I do think they're great, given the positive press they receive.

I dual boot XP and Ubuntu. I like the open architecture of PC's. My three desktop machines are all home built. Two are completely scrapped together from other peoples junk.

I probably won't ever own a mac desktop machine, but would love a macbook portable. If I could afford one :)

Parsa44

Reaction score
I think PC is much better since you have that extra freedom, also most games are for windows.

hermitobserver

Reaction score
I hate Macs because they are too "idiot-proof"... There isn't as much freedom as there is with PCs and Linux. The only plus I can give Macs is that they have a lot of cool free downloads from apple.com. Windows has some ok microsoft.com has some ok downloads, but none as cool and new as some for Macs. BTW: I am a PC and I wear a suit.

scottnj

Reaction score
I've never driven a Mac, yet I do think they're great, given the positive press they receive.

I dual boot XP and Ubuntu. I like the open architecture of PC's. My three desktop machines are all home built. Two are completely scrapped together from other peoples junk.

I probably won't ever own a mac desktop machine, but would love a macbook portable. If I could afford one :)

It depends on what you need to do with it. (And in the case of Macs, how much you want to spend on it.) Windows are great for the average person and for most everything you do. I would side with them like 85% of the time.

However, Macs are VERY reliable and VERY good for graphics editing, video editing, and audio editing. Not only do they come with the free starter programs (garageband and IMovie) but if you were to put Avid, Finalcut, and/or Photoshop on there you would absolutely love it. But like I said, they carry a heavy price tag.

But me, on the other hand, and dualbooting Vista :)mad:) and Ubuntu:)biggrin:) on my laptop.

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
I am an avid mac user, however, I don't want to seem like the stereotypical 'PC hater'. I respect and use both Mac and Windows and I understand the appeal of Linux. I have been using mac since the time they still had floppy drives and have only ever had one Windows machine: a Windows 95 laptop. Obviously, this doesn't put me in the best position to evaluate both sides but I do regularly use Windows away from home.
My personal opinion is that Macs are the 'ideal' machine and OS for general use and being 'creative'; they are ideally suited for personal use at home. However, the lack of expandability is a problem, unless you opt for the expensive Mac Pro. Windows, in my opinion, are in their element in the workplace where, in most cases, a Mac simply wouldn't cut it and would be too expensive. Also, I can't visualize a Mac being used to drive machinery or getting 'dirty', as it were. The only workplace that Macs are really the better solution is in any of the design trades, i.e. Graphic Design, Web Design. It is this division that separates the two systems and make them individual. I must admit that I love the Mac user interface and the real ease-of-use; but if I had been using Windows for this long would the inverse be true?
In terms of bundled software, Macs really shine through and, despite what some say, there is software available to do most things. On Windows, however, the gaming is far superior to anything an average spec Mac can offer, partly due to the expandability of the systems. The 'Boot Camp' software on Mac is also particularly helpful as it really opens up the opportunities for what some call a 'closed system'. Dual-booting eliminates the need for two separate machines. We Mac users may act as though it is some amazing new tech, but I know that it has been readily available in Windows and Linux for ages.
The Mac design is iconic and links pretty well with the GUI. With Windows, the quality of the design is really only limited by how much you are willing to spend on the exterior looks; the same applies to Linux machines. In some rare cases, those of us who argue that 'Windows Vista copied Mac OSX' are correct, but only in a very few examples. I don't like to think that I have been 'brainwashed' by the Apple corporate identity and I hope I have not become one of the stereotypical Mac users that despise all things non-fruity.
I have mentioned Linux very little as anything I say would likely be misinformed and not give a real representation of the diversity of the options offered.

Overall, I am a Mac user, but I understand the necessity for the use of alternate systems and the advantages of using them.

homer693

Reaction score
I prefer PC because it is most supported by programs and software developers, I prefer linux too because it is open-source so you have a lot of freedom and can change any part of the OS as you like, If mac's weren't so expensive i would buy one as they sound very good

Any_Key

Reaction score
I tried going to mac, just to check it out in college (we all make mistakes in college) and I quickly went back. The only Mac I own is currently running Linux.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axC-7O4Yq-w
That's more or less how I felt. That and Photoshop is not a game.

In all seriousness I didn't find the OS all that appealing and decided not to deal with it. It's not as crash proof as some would lead you to believe, the knowledge base at the time sucked and for the most part Apple refused to acknowledge anything was ever wrong.
Sure there are less viruses, but that's because mac makes up less than ten percent of the market.

That's just my experience and personal preference. I know people who are happy using a mac for basically everything they do.

Last edited:

peterhsieh

Reaction score
WEll here i have a small extraction of what I said in my favourite OS topic:
"Mac OS X: Well Well.. if it isnt the MACINTOSH.. competitor...
Mac is a great operating system, and as all do, it also has flaws... What I like .. especially about Mac is there is no other companies involved in the hardware...(some say that there is no competition.. which i believe is true also...if you don't know what i mean just move on ^-^). No Kernel panics (well so far.. oh and also.. kernel panics are the equivient to BSOD). Most people dislike macs because they believe that macs controls are just unlogic.... Well let me ask the question... If Everyone used a Mac.. and suddenly microsoft started making computers... would you think windows controls are logic? The fact is that we like what we learn from.. we also dislike changed.(that phrase there starts TONS OF MISCHIEF, from wars, to fights you name it) I use to hate macs.. why? the same reason.. it just seemed not right. I mean who uses a mouse with 1 BUTTOn.. that crazy. =-=.. but when I forced my self to try.. guess what im using a mac to type this right now ^_^... i am obsesed with macs.. People need to accept the changes give it try, and then see if you like mac or windows... I not saying that you must change.. but give it a try.. your not going to loose anything right?... you might loose time. but u gain experience.. thats what counts.. (as you can probably tell by my humongous post.. im a mac fan ^-^)"

So as you probaby can tell I like mac.. but I would like to say.. If you start off with a mac. you most probably like mac.. if you start off with a pc (most people) you will stick to pc.. It whether you bother to give it a try is when you change to the opositions OS ^-^// Note I use to hate macs... but now.. well im typing with a mac.. so yea.. you can guess...

The final decisison is based on your choice.. (to change or not to change.. that is the questions)

Thnak you for reading my arguement
Peter

axesdenyd

Reaction score
I have both...

But in fairness, I have to say that my PC systems, run Unix...

To anyone that says "there's not as much software" for a mac? Then you haven't looked very hard. Macintosh has some of the highest grade software available. A LOT of time, and effort goes into every part of the OS X operating system.

When you buy a mac, you're buying a computing experience... When you buy a PC, well you're honestly not guaranteed of anything really. What software will work with your hardware, will your operating system even recognize your hardware, or will the author even care enough to provide you drivers.

I know when expanding my mac, my system will know what I'm putting into it, and that it will continue the excellent experience I've already been enjoying.

As for games. EA Games has MAC versions of 95% of their catalog. So, I'm not sure how that's an issue. And if you're a game developer, and you're not willing to write your software for 22% of the home computer market. I dont' want your game anyway.

Linkz0rs

Reaction score
I'd like to have a Mac, tried it in the store before and liked it quite a lot.
I however, don't have the money to afford one. :(

I'd like to get one of those iMacs, you know.. Everything built into the monitor lol.
I've been using PC all my life, but would LOVE to have a Mac... :rant2:

sycosyxx

Reaction score
I love a Mac. Great stable system that performs well and has the best video and graphics software capabilities. When I worked for the Warren Tribune that was all we worked on and I grew to love them. If only I could afford a Mac I'd have one right now but until then Linux is by far my OS of choice. Runs great, free of charge in most cases, easily customizable and it will run on any computer system built.

kyuusei

Reaction score
I have both...

But in fairness, I have to say that my PC systems, run Unix...

To anyone that says "there's not as much software" for a mac? Then you haven't looked very hard. Macintosh has some of the highest grade software available. A LOT of time, and effort goes into every part of the OS X operating system.

When you buy a mac, you're buying a computing experience... When you buy a PC, well you're honestly not guaranteed of anything really. What software will work with your hardware, will your operating system even recognize your hardware, or will the author even care enough to provide you drivers.

I know when expanding my mac, my system will know what I'm putting into it, and that it will continue the excellent experience I've already been enjoying.

As for games. EA Games has MAC versions of 95% of their catalog. So, I'm not sure how that's an issue. And if you're a game developer, and you're not willing to write your software for 22% of the home computer market. I dont' want your game anyway.

lol. Macs crash too. Believing otherwise just makes you look stupid. Macs are just so dumbed down that the average retard can't break it as easy as they can when confronted with options and menus in Windows.

I can do everything you can do on a Mac. In fact, I can do it in many different ways with many different programs, either expensive or free.

Gaming on Macs is ambitious at best and realistically stupid. Even Mac advocates, when asked about gaming say "get Bootcamp, install XP and game on that".

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
I'd like to have a Mac, tried it in the store before and liked it quite a lot.
I however, don't have the money to afford one. :(

I'd like to get one of those iMacs, you know.. Everything built into the monitor lol.
I've been using PC all my life, but would LOVE to have a Mac... :rant2:
This reminds me of the new series of Windows advertisements, where Microsoft is going off the fact that their computers are just plain cheaper, and normal people with normal lives should buy PCs because it's for normal families with normal incomes, which is also the majority.

PC=]:thefinger
Any particular reason why? Any supporting arguments to back up your statement?

foreverb

Reaction score
Okay, where to began :p

Everyone in my house besides me uses Mac OS X, and I did for about a year as well. It took me forever to find a free FTP service, because if you search you don't find FireZilla, but just a bunch of other ones that COST.

I used Windows, well still do, for a really long time. I love how I can find any application I could dream of, and free. However after beta testing Windows 7 I became a windows nerd! Until... last Wednesday windows 7 beta crashed and deleted everything on it's portion of the hardrive that wasn't running :(

So now I'm on Mandriva, so far so good. I really only program my websites, hacking tools (another website stole my script so I like to show off the back doors and release it for everyone else too :p, guess I probably can't host that here haha), and then Google apps such as Google Docs and Gmail. So I'm more of a "net centric" user now.

Windows 7 still is my faviorte, but it's a little bit unstable :'( it boots up and shuts down faster then Mandriva, but it still lives, in it's one GB portion...