Mac or PC

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
I used Windows, well still do, for a really long time. I love how I can find any application I could dream of, and free.
This is obviously because more people program for Windows computers. It's an advantage because of what you stated - there are lots of different applications that you can use. But there is also a bad side to it as well - there are far more viruses for Windows than there are for Macs. Useful applications aren't the only ones people work on nowadays...

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
I would go for PC, because I like the blend of easy/customizable. Windows is easy to use, and the farther you go, the more customizable it gets. If you are not so advanced, don't go any farther. Also, Macs can't be tweaked the way PCs can, and custom building a Mac is a lot harder. Although similar software can be found for Macs for almost any category, it is simply harder to find it an as I have found mostly have less development than Windows software. In its simplest terms, Macs encapsulate too much, Linux too little, and Windows somewhere better.

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
I would go for PC, because I like the blend of easy/customizable. Windows is easy to use, and the farther you go, the more customizable it gets. If you are not so advanced, don't go any farther. Also, Macs can't be tweaked the way PCs can, and custom building a Mac is a lot harder. Although similar software can be found for Macs for almost any category, it is simply harder to find it an as I have found mostly have less development than Windows software. In its simplest terms, Macs encapsulate too much, Linux too little, and Windows somewhere better.
This is odd, I have real issues finding decent software for Windows. A search for software in google for me returns lots of Mac software, perhaps google know what OS we are using? Or, more likely, I am just not looking hard enough :biggrin:

ashhhevil

Reaction score
I personally prefer Windows. I would switch over to Linux but I can do much better multitasking with windows. Macs are just impossible for me to multitask with and Linux kinda has less space per resolution so I feel kinda bloated.

I don't game on PC but Windows has some of the best programs that I like and use everyday. They are possible to run with Wine and stuff but they don't run well on linux. The programs that are keeping me on windows are megui, media player classic (don't like VLC), Notepad++ and many others.

Also because it's actually possible to have portable programs for windows. So if I reformat or sth. I don't have to reinstall any of my programs. I can also go back and forth between XP and VISTA while keeping all the same programs and firefox bookmarks and stuff. it's completely awesome.

And another thing is that there are MANY programs for windows for a specific task, while on linux or mac, I'm pretty much limited to 2-3 programs. So, if I don't like 'em, I am screwed. While on WIndows, I have a choice of many programs. Take Video players for example, I presonally don't like any other program besides Media Player Classic. I have given EVERYTHING a try but they all suck. On linux, I'm limited to VLC or MPlayer. while on mac, I'm just limited to VLC.

And also because Microsoft doesn't release a useless update every year that I have to pay for. All the service packs and stuff are free, which is awesome. And I'm not forced to update to Vista unless I absolutely want to.

I think Ima wait till Windows 7 to update.

And of course, I am free to update my hardware in any way I can.

I use Windows for everyday stuff and linux just for live CD whenever something goes wrong, which has never happened to me but I'm prepared lol.

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
On mac, I'm just limited to VLC.
Quicktime
DivX Player
iTunes
Plex
XBMC
DoubleTwist
Movist
Chroma
Realplayer
Mplayer
and VLC. Hardly Limiting.

zubair12

Banned
Reaction score
I like windows on my personal computer but i am also using linux on my other system...
I made this system a network server

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Maybe this is the wrong place to post this, but this has been bugging me and I might as well mention it in a thread that is almost dead any ways.
Zubair 12, doesn't it seem a bit deceitful to go masking you neobux referal url under the x10 hosting image in your sig? I'm not sure if that is against the rules or not, but it just seems rather low and makes me more likely to go out of my way not to sign up under you if I ever were to try that.:)

zubair12

Banned
Reaction score
Maybe this is the wrong place to post this, but this has been bugging me and I might as well mention it in a thread that is almost dead any ways.
Zubair 12, doesn't it seem a bit deceitful to go masking you neobux referal url under the x10 hosting image in your sig? I'm not sure if that is against the rules or not, but it just seems rather low and makes me more likely to go out of my way not to sign up under you if I ever were to try that.:)

that was just a mistake and i correct it..

xcaliberse

Reaction score
Mac because it is a more stable OS w/ less viruses(for now) and I'm a developer so it makes it even better for me because it has a unix build too.

aaronj10

Reaction score
I am a 'PC' Person, Mac, in my oppinion, is-
A: over rated..
B: TOO COSTLY
C: does not offer as many programs as the PC.
(I.E. Gameing etc..)

xcaliberse

Reaction score
Well trust me once you use all aspects of a Mac you will really think it's worth the price.

secretply

Reaction score
Well I've been using a PC in my entire life and have never tried a Mac. I would love to try one of those one of these days. I have seen Macs at our school and I say they are something else. I'm sure one of these days I would prefer to go with Mac but who knows. Mac has a really high advanced graphic interface while PC has less confusing menus and shortcuts. I would probably go for both, Mac and PC!

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
secretply, why not go with linux? It's totally free, it has nice acesible menus like Windows, but you can customize it to look just like a Mac. Some people get nit picky at some minute details that aren't copied from the Apple platform, but, since it's free it's at least worth a try. Right?

datababe

Reaction score
I think it depends on what you need/want to do. Each platform has some unique strengths (and weaknesses). The only "switching" pain for me came from OS9 and the dearth of cross compatible apps at the time, but OSX and open source expansion pretty much put an end to that. I really haven't come across any show stoppers from a desktop functionality perspective; I can do what I need (or want) to do on OSX, Windows, or Linux.

After that seems to me it boils down to personal preference, at least as far as personal usage goes (unless you're a heavy duty gamer, or deeply into development). But for working purposes, I will always have at least one Windows machine in the mix, as long as we have clients who need support with Windows + MS apps. And I certainly don't see THAT changing any time soon.

(but for polling purposes, put me down as Mac FTW! =) )