Main domain change

Status
Not open for further replies.

geyser.too82

Reaction score
Hello,

I am moving the content of my current website (bards.fr) to another server, and will be using the main domain of my x10hosting account (free so far) for a new project, under the name vidite.li

I have already set up the DNS for vidite.li to point to x10hosting's servers. Could someone change the main domain for my account? cPanel login is geyser, current main domain is bards.fr, should be changed to vidite.li

Thanks,
Sergey

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Your main domain must be one of the x10Hosting-provided subdomains (you can request a different one, but it still has to be an x10Hosting subdomain). External domains need to be set using a Parked Domain/Alias or an Add-on Domain.

geyser.too82

Reaction score
Well, this is embarassing.

My free x10hosting subdomain used to be ksp.x10.mx, but it is no longer available. As far as I understand, it was replaced with bards.fr when I requested bards.fr to become my "main domain" back in February 2011. At that time, an x10hosting account could have a "main domain", along with parked and addon domains (currently, it seems only "addon" and "parked" domains can be managed from cPanel; "main domain" used to be there as well, but not anymore). And the way that "main domain" worked back in 2011 is that, once set up, it completely replaced the .x10.mx subdomain, and the .x10.mx subdomain was permanently deleted. There's a note on that behavior here:
http://www.ehow.com/how_8185640_use-own-domain-x10hosting.html
and also somewhere in x10hosting's own documentation, although I can't find where right now.

Anyway, the point is that I no longer have a x10hosting-provided subdomain, or, if I have one, I have no idea what it is. ksp.x10.mx, which was issued to me when I first registered, was discarded after I set up bards.fr as the "main domain". Since that time bards.fr has also been the host name that I used for FTP (initially I would FTP-connect to ksp.x10.mx but, after the main domain switch, ksp.x10.mx no longer worked as the FTP host, only bards.fr did). It all felt OK at the time, and was in fact rather convenient, but now that I want to move my bards.fr content elsewhere and use x10hosting for another project (vidite.li), I am kinda stuck.

1) The main handle for my account's directory (e.g., for FTP) is bards.fr, and I need it to be something else, because bards.fr is going to be pointing elsewhere. I'd be OK with either the main domain changed from bards.fr to vidite.li, or reverted to an x10hosting-provided subdomain.

2) Apparently, for my account to be in line with the current practice, I do need a x10hosting-provided subdomain, however I do not seem to have one at the moment (there used to be ksp.x10.mx, but it's gone). If it is possible to give me such a subdomain, please make it geyser.x10.mx

Thanks,
Sergey

geyser.too82

Reaction score
OK, found the x10hosting documentation about the "main domain" and how setting one up (when it was allowed) had the effect of removing the x10hosting free subdomain: http://x10hosting.com/wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Use_Your_Own_Domain&oldid=971

So my question/request is - can I get rid of bards.fr as my main domain, and get an x10hosting subdomain instead (say, geyser.x10.mx)? That way, I would be on the same page as all the users who joined after December 2011, and I would set up my new domain (vidite.li) by parking it.

If getting a new x10hosting subdomain is somehow problematic at this point, then I would ask to change the main domain bards.fr to vidite.li

Thanks,
Sergey

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi Sergey,

Sorry, we did make some changes a while ago, and we can't change main domain names to custom domains anymore (due to some problems this was causing internally). I have, however, changed your account's domain to geyser.x10.mx. Please add your .li domain as a Parked Domain. ;)

As a side note, our wiki is outdated and no longer being maintained. Up-to-date information is available from our Knowledge Base:
https://x10hosting.com/support/domains/add-domain-name

Thank you,

geyser.too82

Reaction score
Thanks Dead-i,

Point taken about the wiki being outdated, but digging up its late-2011 revision looked like the best way to explain why I no longer had a x10hosting subdomain. Anyway, geyser.x10.mx will do just fine.

Regards,
Sergey

Status
Not open for further replies.