Manualy Back everything up

Status
Not open for further replies.

lance4681

Reaction score
How can I manually back everything up? I am on a free host and at the moment I am making lots of changes to SQL and the filesystem as I build my site. so how can I make my own backups?

Also are there any free scripts that can make a backup once a day and email them to me that would be cool

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
You'd have to do the backups manually.

I'm sure you could write a script or pay someone credits to write a script to backup your SQL automatically, but zipping and emailing your home directory would take a lot of CPU and RAM. You'd probably get suspended.

You can use the "zip" feature in cPanel's FileManager to make a zip/gzip archive, and download that from your server, but again: It'd have to be manual.

I suppose you could also write a script on your computer that connects to FTP and downloads everything to a directory on your website... But I'd make it only get new files w/ file size changes or content changes. The coding's way out of my league.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I find the best way to back up files on my hosting account is to use an FTP client such as FileZilla or even Windows Explorer to download each file individually. Sure, it ties up FTP slots on the server, but it's least likely to get your account suspended. It's how I back things up. For MySQL, you can use phpMyAdmin or the software you're using MySQL for to perform a database dump to download to your hard drive.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
Another trick would be to create a development environment similar to x10's environment on your local computer, and code everything in your computer, you can have software such as SVN or CVS to version your website. You can edit things as you like on your computer and when you are ready, push everything to x10's server. This way, you don't have as much restrictions (no remote editing, or high cpu usage problems) and if your account loses all it's file, you simply re-upload what is on your computer. This is how I proceed and I found it very handy (after I lost my website a couple times).

Status
Not open for further replies.