Meat eaters / Vegetarians / Vegans. Why are you whichever you are?

Agenator

Reaction score
Meat is not healthy.
In fact, it shortens your lifespan by about 7 years,
and for all the men out there: It causes impotence.
Only if you eat massive quantities. You still need a fair amount of protein in your diet which the easiest way to gain is from either eggs or meat. I prefer meat. I can understand vegetarianism and respect it but I feal that being a vegan crosses the line at least for young children becuase they don't get all the nutrients they need in their diet....

unpixelatedgamers

Reaction score
I suppose with our higher intellect and moral code than all kwnown animals we should find some way to get along without killing animals for food.

But equally, we'd then have to kill more plants. Just because plants are more different to us than other animals, we seem to treat them very badly. They're still living things, so who are we to exact such a dire existance upon them?

So, in my view, why not spread the damage across both types of living thing?

Indeed, without our omnivorus nature, many animals and plants would simply not exist. I suppose Cows still would, as people would probably still drink milk. But chickens? All gone. Can't pluck them for feathers, as we don't use them anymore, and its rather painful and unproductive, can't kill them for meat, and definately can't eat eggs; they're little baby chickens.

If there is some devine power that created us and didn't want us to eat other animals, surely they would have made us herbivores? And if the eventual abstinence of meat was a test of our divinity, we've either failed already, or we still have many centuries to go.

In the here and now, I'm a meat eater (and plant eater) as that is what my body has evolved to sustain itself on, and it provides the simpliest and easiest way of keeping up all my nutrient levels.

Slothie

Reaction score
I eat just about anything.

Why am I what I am?
Because I enjoy eating food that tastes good. If a steak tastes good, I'm there, hell if Spinach tasted good, I would be eating it.

holeepassion

Reaction score
One point is we should think about is that how would the poor animals raised and caged for food think ? How about how it would feel that its life cut short

Don't we all fight for the same things like freedom ? to live as long as we can ?

We may think they do not feel much as we do not understand them. There are lots of touching stories on how dogs save human beings, cows with tears before being turned into a piece of meat.

There is a research that our intestines are not designed for meat eating.

Just food for thoughts.

However, we have the free wills to do what we want to put into our mouth.

It is a pity that some animals do not have the same freedom to choose :(

Last edited:

ryoko126

Reaction score
Why should humans be excluded from eating meat? Bears eat meat. Wolves and others in the canine species eat meat and no one even bothers to try to convert them.

Perhaps you should be looking at it a different way. Like the Native Americans. They hunted for food and clothing BUT they used everything of the animal from the meat. To the skin. To the bone as a tool. Also they were give thanks to the animal out of respect. No one nowadays says that that way of life is wrong.

Perhaps the real shame in how we are isn't that we eat the meat. It's the other things like, Killing for sport, or killing an elephant for his tusks and just leaving the poor creature there.

aquila

Reaction score
as long as it looks good and it's tasty i will eat. although i could give up vegetables and just eat meat , i don't think i can give up meat for vegetables. there really isn't a right or wrong whether we should eat meat or not. do we ask whether it's right or wrong for a lion to eat meat. that's just the way it is, part of the evolution process. we have evolved to find whatever source of food we can gather. while i have no quarrels with veggans i do have a problem with some of them behaving as though their way of eating is somehow morally more acceptable than a meat eater. we eat what we can to survive and be healthy. that said, i do believe that moderation is a word we should use more often cos we're running out of cod from overfishing or other problems that may occur when society wants one kind of meat more than others or just eating too much of it. problems like overcrowding in animal farms is not only cruel to the animals but breed all kinds of diseases.

voice

Reaction score
After reading all the posts, i've seen some very interesting points brought up. i believe my favorite post was from The_Magistrate.

I am an omnivore. That said, I eat fairly little meat. Why? Health concerns? Nope, I've managed to get nice and fat on a mostly fruit, vegetable, and grain diet. The dairy products probably help me out there. Cruelty concerns? Nope, I'm fairly callous when it comes to the "humanity" of animals. Why, then? It's expensive to eat meat all of the time.
Besides, our bodies are ingenious enough in design that we can easily adapt to changing diets. We are built so that we can eat a variety of foods, and so we are built for survivability. Some scientists would say that even now, our bodies are still adapting to allow us to eat a greater variety of foods. It has been suggested that lactose tolerance in adult humans is, on the big scale, a fairly recent adaption. Is it so far fetched, then, to think that there was a time when we couldn't eat meat? But now, we can, and we have greater survivability as a species because of it.

I am an omnivore because I am an opportunistic eater. There it is, plain and simple.

-Jake

satbir

Reaction score
Ok. To start with - I am Vegetarians.

Why I do not eat Non-Veg:

- Feeling for animals > No. Though I cerainly like to see animal survive and live their full life but then as everyone said, it is survival of fittest. If we do not eat them, may be some other animal will eat. Also food chain is designed in such a way that living things higher in chain have to eat lover in chain to keep balance.

- Moral reason > No. I do not feel it is morally wrong. May be because of above reason only

- Religious > No. Though Vegetarianism is preferable in Hinduism but there is no ban on that and many of them do eat non-veg.

- Family restriction > No. Though all members of our family are vegetarian but there was no restriction on us to be Veg.

Then what - It is merely our bringing up, society in which grew, requirement of weather there which made us Vegetarian. And once we became Veg, we never felt to be changed over to Non-Veg.

So it is as simple as that.

bigmanbfa2

Reaction score
I'm a meat-eater just because I lack the motivation and willpower for a vegitarian or vegan diet. Also, with the loss of an entire food group, the compensatin in beans and such is deffinately not the most appealing aspect to a healthy lifestyle through veggies.

spaceforce

Reaction score
I know I will probably come across as stupid or ignorant, but I think the whole meat-eating/vegetarian argument is a load of rubbish.

To not eat meat is to deny your body the essential things it needs to survive; so vegetarians have to take pills to replenish their body of the stuff that they need through eating meat - wouldn't it be nicer to eat meat, than swallow a nasty, tasteless pill?

Also, I don't believe that eating meat harms my life expenctancy at all. As long as you have a balanced diet, you should be fine. And, I would rather die a bit younger enjoy meat than living an extra few years and never eating meat.

For people who do it because they think it's cruel, that fail to realise the whole concept of how the world works. Animals eat other animals so get over it.

agaitu

Banned
Reaction score
i am at present omnivore but in future i may become vegeterian because
when i go to buthcer shop when i see him killing those animals i think
why to eat by killing other animals when we have the other equal source of nutrients --plant material even it has more fibre content that will help us in intoxication ,free bowel movements,but we have to cheque the usage of pesticides in agriculture
other reason i have read somewhere that eating some eggs effected with some bacteria is the cause for heart attacks and cancer this occurs when the hen eats the bacteria
and even taking the improperly cooked pork or beef causes some diseases

jinx001

Reaction score
well i guess i'm the one that stick out like a sore thumb around her because i dont eat meat. i cant say that i dont for any good reason other then health. its not religious or cultural. Nor is it something i was raised to do as my family aside from my sister which followed me, all eat meat. i cant say that i feel like i'd die or get sick if i did. i think its more about restraint in my case. by the way i havent ate meat for about 6 yrs now and cant say i miss it...really if there something around that u dont, cant, or wont eat u just find something u do, can, or will!!!!
Edit:
I know I will probably come across as stupid or ignorant, but I think the whole meat-eating/vegetarian argument is a load of rubbish.

To not eat meat is to deny your body the essential things it needs to survive; so vegetarians have to take pills to replenish their body of the stuff that they need through eating meat - wouldn't it be nicer to eat meat, than swallow a nasty, tasteless pill?

Also, I don't believe that eating meat harms my life expenctancy at all. As long as you have a balanced diet, you should be fine. And, I would rather die a bit younger enjoy meat than living an extra few years and never eating meat.

For people who do it because they think it's cruel, that fail to realise the whole concept of how the world works. Animals eat other animals so get over it.

this is so not true. the hardest thing to duplicate in an omnivorous diet versus a vegetarian diet is the FAT in the meat. there is something in nature to replace every other vitamin or mineral in the meat and if u'd like to find something that tell u different with supporting facts i'd love to see it. i dont fault u for eating meat or can even say that its wrong. i know its something i chose not to do but i also know that i'm way more healthy because of it. i just believe that when u look at the 2 and compare HEALTH one is far more beneficial then harmful.

Last edited:

shopamer

Reaction score
there's no right or wrong to veg vs meat. veg just taste better and are better for us. i get more energy and am more awake and alert after eating veg than meat.

Namjies

Reaction score
maybe you feel less energic and awake after eating meat, but thats in shorter terms. Meat takes several hours to digest, and its heavy, so it kind of get you sleepy, but afterwards, real good. As long as you don't eat too much meat, because then you'll be tired because of bad diet. A well equilibrate diet would be way better. Beside, why vegetarians deny that eating meat is good. Animals can, and we are animals. More than that, we're less cruel than other animals when killing our food. We kill it fast. If they want, I can try killing cows with my teeth and nails, but I can't guarentee the cow won't have to suffer several days before its death, thats good for my jaws also, they might suffer as well. Thats like saying we could feed a lion with salad. The lion will simply let himself starve to death. I can understand that we're not only carnivorous, but eat of everything, but thats no reason to stop eating meat. We're made to eat meat along with other things. Solving the animal bad treatments in some of the Livestocks farms would be real nice for me, but I'd never advise to stop eating meat. Maybe eat meat less often and take more substitute to meat, but never completly stop eating meat.