Mono Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramjam50

Reaction score
I signed up for your service to create a TV website that can take podcasts and play them in embedded players. I need to use an aspx script provided from http://www.codeproject.com/KB/aspnet/PodcastToPlaylist.aspx to create the playlists. In running the script I receive the following error:

Server Error in '/' Application
Compilation Error

Description: Error compiling a resource required to service this request. Review your source file and modify it to fix this error.

Compiler Error Message: CS0234: The type or namespace name `Linq' does not exist in the namespace `System.Xml'. Are you missing an assembly reference?
/RssToPL.aspx

Show Detailed Compiler Output:

Version information: Mono Version: 2.0.50727.1433; ASP.NET Version: 2.0.50727.1433

Linq was introduced in .net 3.5. The old version of Mono that you are using appears to only support .net 2.0 .

Request that you install the latest version of Mono from http://www.go-mono.com/mono-downloads/download.html .

This will also help you to avoid problems with all the new generation of applications for .net 3.5.

Thank you for your great service.

It is much appreciated!

Zubair

Community Leader
Community Support
Reaction score
The Server of our Hosting is linux and we run ASP.NET using mono.

may be your script requirement does not meat with us..

or this is a script error. contact script provider about that

ramjam50

Reaction score
The Server of our Hosting is linux and we run ASP.NET using mono.

may be your script requirement does not meat with us..

or this is a script error. contact script provider about that

Thank you for your reply. I have tested the script at a friends host which supports .net 4.0 and it runs perfectly. I cannot recompile the script for .net 2.0 for your old version of Mono as I do not have Visual C nor the source code.

You run an old version of mono which is 2.0. Modern ASP applications need the 2.6 version at least which supports .net 3.5 and the soon to be released higher version which supports .net 4.0. The latest version of Mono is freely available at the Mono site.

Can you consider installing please?

Jarryd

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Hello, currently due to a lot of upgrades coming up it's not a priority. Although i'll have a talk to the admins and see if it's possible to upgrade. :)

psycrosis

Reaction score
The mono releases and the .net releases no longer correspond. Mono as of version 2 supports Linq to Xml and mono 2.6 support alot more of .net 3.5 features.
In order to not get that error you need to make sure you have something like this in your web.config file.

Code:
<compilation defaultLanguage="C#" debug="false">
      <assemblies>
        <add assembly="System.Xml.Linq, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" />
      </assemblies>
    </compilation>

That is necessary to let the compiler know to add the System.Xml.Linq Assembly which the script is referencing. Even in mono 2.6 it won't run correctly without that added to the the web.config file and give that error.

Status
Not open for further replies.