music?

hey101

Reaction score
I have music on my homepage. Gearsoffear.elementfx.com

well I cant get the music to play in Firefox. It plays fine in IE but most of my users use Firefox and i cant get it to play. I would post the source but im using my laptop and my desktop has the index file on it. Any suggestions on how to fix?

My homepage isnt done as im currently making a new one but i just stuck a temp one up so i dont get in trouble. :)

I just want to know what to edit so i can make sure i havve it right in the other homepage.

crisp

Reaction score
I haven't played around with music files in webpages for a long time, however, this should cover most browsers (replace mytune.wav with the path and filename of your music file of course)

Code:
<embed src="mytune.wav"></embed> 
<noembed> <bgsound src="mytune.wav"> </noembed>

FWIW, background music, especially the kind that can't be turned off, is best avoided IMO. You can't account for your users taste in music, and as such, your choice may drive them away. It also creates extra bandwidth requirements for very little gain in terms of adding anything of value to your site. Admittedly, there are times where it might be appropriate, but in most instances, it's an annoyance.

xmakina

Reaction score
Consider, rather than a background song, use a player (flash or wmp) instead. That way users can choose to have the music playing or not.

Also - don't forget some users will be running with noscript so if your music is hidden away it won't play and the user won't be able to start it!

hey101

Reaction score
Consider, rather than a background song, use a player (flash or wmp) instead. That way users can choose to have the music playing or not.

Also - don't forget some users will be running with noscript so if your music is hidden away it won't play and the user won't be able to start it!

what would you recomend as a good music player thats easy to setup and install