My Computer

woocorp

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!, I just made my own computer! it's running awesome. SPECS: cpu: intel centuro duo 2.0ghz hdd: 250 SATA + 1TB external motherboard: MSI p35 neo graphics: 512 Nividia/Gforce Ram: Kingston 2 1GB'S OS: XP Pro & Linux What do you think?

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Very nice =]

I'd suggest you up the RAM to 4GBs and if you're gonna be gaming you'll need at least a 2.6GHz processor to be futureproof, but pretty nice specs. And good on you for sticking with XP, Vista kills both of my 2.6GHz cores and somehow eats 1GB of my RAM lol =P

-Luke.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Nice Specs. I agree with the above poster to possibly see about getting more CPU speed. Otherwise, the RAM should be good. I work off of 3GB with my gaming computer, and it's hardly had to use the paging file. 2GB is the minimum for gaming, even with Vista before things start to get slow. So yeah, if you can, get yourself a faster CPU and another GB of RAM.

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
I can run Crysis on medium and COD4 relatively high with some AA on 2 GB of RAM and a 2.33 GHz dual core.

As an XP user you shouldn't worry. If your were Vista on the other hand..

Zdroyd

Reaction score
"Impressive, very impressive" - Darth Vader

Nice! I have always wanted to build my own PC or Laptop (Mainly because my parents always buy me a s***y computer.)

Its nice to see that at least someone is happy... *Cry*

Also nice RAM! My (s***y) computer only has half a gig! (Which is really, really sad. *Stabbed myself*)

LOL

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
XP or Vista, you still need at least 2GB of RAM. Aero does shut itself off if you are in game on full screen, so don't start accusing Vista of being like that. My friend has a Vista system with 2GB of RAM and it can run games without a problem. When the RAM runs very low, Aero switches off and frees up some RAM slightly.

Jarryd

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Not bad, i will post my specs of the computer i WANT to get when i get home, i am almost there money wise, it's just the fact that finding the parts may prove to be difficult, as i can't seem to find anyone that sells CHEAP xeon's. :p

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
XP or Vista, you still need at least 2GB of RAM. Aero does shut itself off if you are in game on full screen, so don't start accusing Vista of being like that. My friend has a Vista system with 2GB of RAM and it can run games without a problem. When the RAM runs very low, Aero switches off and frees up some RAM slightly.

The problem is that Vista has a lot more pointless processes running in the background, so Vista will eat at least a gig of RAM itself at all times (pathetic, crap idea). Aero is a bloated mess, even on Windows XP I disabled the theme in Display Properties in Conrtrol Panel. I'd choose performance over some theme (I _hate_ Aero) any day.

-Luke.

Last edited:

componentwarehouse

Reaction score
So what if Vista eats another GB of RAM, you can get 1GB of 800MHz RAM for £11 here, and everything seems more expensive in the UK, so in the US it must be almost nothing.And 800MHz isnt slow RAM either...

People are treating Vista as if theyre still running it on the system designed for XP, when for about £22 you could up it to 2.5GB+ (depending on what your started with) and it would run fine.

Alex

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
The problem is that Vista has a lot more pointless processes running in the background, so Vista will eat at least a gig of RAM itself at all times (pathetic, crap idea). Aero is a bloated mess, even on Windows XP I disabled the theme in Display Properties in Conrtrol Panel. I'd choose performance over some theme (I _hate_ Aero) any day.

-Luke.

Yeah before I reformatted my mom's laptop, Vista premium would take 700 MB of RAM (this is after going through msconfig and disabling half the startup processes, ending many, MANY, scheduled tasks, and turning Aero off).

If Windows 7 is released on time, Vista truly will be another Millennium Edition.

I too would rather have performance over graphics and "nice" visualizations. Even if I had the greatest high end components, why have something take up more RAM than it ought to?

Hauzer

Reaction score
It's an amazing computer, I only have 256MB ram (highest in house) and onboard 64 Graphics card. =/