My New Internet Speeds

LHVWB

Reaction score
ADSL2+, in Aus. Normally runs at about 12 Mb's downloads, but at the momment I am in the free period (midnight to midday), so my speeds are slower but all the uploads and downloads are free, I'll make another post later to show my better speeds during the afternoon. Go Exetel!

attachment.php

Attachments

• speedtest.jpg
    speedtest.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 27

LHVWB

Reaction score
Your monthly payment?

$65 Aus ($60 American) per month for unlimited uploads + downloads in the free period (12 midnight to 12 midday) and unlimited uploads the rest of the time with 8GB of downloads a month.

It also includes phone line rental, I am very happy with Exetel. A similar plan with telsta (evil) would cost a lot more. :biggrin:

This is only in Aus though, we don't get great cable but we do get ADSL2+. ;)

Last edited:

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
$65 Aus ($60 American) per month for unlimited uploads + downloads in the free period (12 midnight to 12 midday) and unlimited uploads the rest of the time with 8GB of downloads a month.

It also includes phone line rental, I am very happy with Exetel. A similar plan with telsta (evil) would cost a lot more. :biggrin:

This is only in Aus though, we don't get great cable but we do get ADSL2+. ;)

Cable stinks! Fiber all the way -- I am sure it'll be around Aus soon!

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
The cable stinks in my area as well. I don't know what Time Warner is doing right now, but right now Roadrunner is slow in my neighborhood and pings are very high 300ms+ again. My DSL is still moving along as it has always done.

tittat

Reaction score
Oh Brandon thanks a lot for the credits.I just meant it for a fun....
once again thanks....

Brandon

Community Support
Reaction score
The cable stinks in my area as well. I don't know what Time Warner is doing right now, but right now Roadrunner is slow in my neighborhood and pings are very high 300ms+ again. My DSL is still moving along as it has always done.

I tell you what I used the FiOS speed optimizer it's going faster now.

LHVWB

Reaction score
Cable stinks! Fiber all the way -- I am sure it'll be around Aus soon!

I wish I had fibre, the Australian government is going to put fibre to the street corner or something, which isn't as good as fire to the node, but its better than what we currently get. :biggrin:

But then they are going to do it in partnership with some huge company like telstra or optus, so the company will probably control the network anyway meaning that the prices will probably be awful, with 24 month contracts and other evil things. :happysad:

Brandon

Community Support
Reaction score
Ouch ya this is FTTH (Fiber To The Home) so, still fiber to street corner is nice, I know some other people in Aus your internet is outragus there.

Scott B

Reaction score
My speeds are faster than all of yours LOL:

You don't know how miserable I am :(
I'm pretty sure there's something wrong with those upload speeds

Last edited:

Brandon

Community Support
Reaction score
I didn't know they still had dial up, you need to upgrade:happysad:.

LHVWB

Reaction score
Yeah, the upload speeds you have are quite good, but the download speeds. 3x dialup? :happysad:

If thats dialup then you have awesome dial-up, when I had it (some years ago now), it was 8kb up and down, so usually about 3.4kb per second down.

Here are my speeds during the afternoon (midday to midnight), in my non-free period.

attachment.php

Attachments

• speedtest2.jpg
    speedtest2.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
Dial-up uses compression which will greatly improve the upload speed. On dial-up the last I used it, I got 128kbps as the upload, and 46.2kbps on the download.

Brandon

Community Support
Reaction score
I haven't had dial up since 2002, which is when we got Verizon DSL which I have had until a few days ago. Boy do I remember those days.

kkenny

Reaction score
I always used Pacbell (now known as AT&T) but their internet just plain is BLEH. It's so slow and whenever I do gaming at my friend's house I'm so lag free. My parents are so getting ripepd off. My speeds don't deserve 35.99$ a month bill x)

Brandon

Community Support
Reaction score
Don't you mean Comcast? Yes DSL is starting to get old!

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
Well, when I got DSL, I was just kind of a basic user that didn't slow the line up. Now, I've set up a home network, a few servers and a gaming computer and I pull from the line all the time. Besides, AOL was just getting too expensive for the speed and our phone bill kept getting bigger because of how much we needed the internet, so we got DSL.

Comcast and Time Warner are both rolling DOCSIS 3.0 to compete with Verizon, and giving 50mbps/5mbps speeds to people. FiOS still wins on the upload however, and will soon be destroying DOCSIS 3.0 in speeds thanks to Verizon rolling out GPON fiber giving double the bandwidth of DOCSIS 3.0, and more than 4 times the upload per feed than DOCSIS 3.0, and the only real problem with Comcast is the way they throttle P2P (which can mess up loads of legit things like game patches and paid internet TV) and their 300GB/m download caps.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I wish I could download like that! I just tried it while downloading something and it really killed my test. It said I could only download at 3485 kbps. Normally that number is over 5000.