My pc fails to start

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I have reinstalled my heatsink and now my system shut down automatically after 4-5 sec. What should i do

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
It is probably because of heat, Check whether the heat sink is properly installed or not. Generally when ever you remove the heat sink it is advised to re apply the thermal paste.

The Real Rebel

Reaction score
Don't you see anything on the screen when it boots? Does the PC Beep at all?

And if you have meddled with the processor check if it was reinstalled correctly, and make sure you do apply thermal paste, if you don't it could lead to your processor heating up more than it should do which will cause irreversible damage,

Jamie

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I've not applied thermal paste and every thing seems normal for first few sec and then it shut down.

The Real Rebel

Reaction score
did you check the processer? and if on the heatsink metal prongs holding the heat sink in pace or anything metal make sure its not touching the mobo, since it will short and could cause what is happening.

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
What happens when i won't connect cable to mobo cause while removing the cables i have pulled it so hardly.

The Real Rebel

Reaction score
ermm it should have broke, but I'd say your best bet is to go to a repair store and get it looked at because I can't really see a problem LOL!

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
When i try to start, bios say press f2 to load systems default value with 2 small beeps

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
what is your BIOS version and type?

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
American merchandise or some thing like that and i don't know it's version. I have noted one thing that whenever i press f2 pc turns off

phazzedout

Reaction score
Dang barely any info to work on. Well apply the paste, it helps spread the heat. Also tell check what brand and model is your mobo. Check online. Two beeps means something.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Two small beeps on an American Megatrends BIOS indicates memory issues with something on the PC. It can also indicate the PC giving you a message such as what you're seeing. One thing I would like you to try doing is unplugging your PC and removing the battery from the motherboard for 30 seconds and then inserting the battery again. This will clear your CMOS which means you will need to set the BIOS up again. If it still locks up, I'd honestly say check over everything as something is still not right.

Last edited:

tmaloof

Reaction score
you need to apply the thermal past along with the fan that sits on top of the heat synch. it shuts down as a fail safe as not to burn a hole in your motherboard

stpvoice

Community Support Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
Also, try removing the memory, and then re-inserting it.

Ensure the fan connected to the heatsink is plugged into the motherboard, and is the correct way round.

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Now my pc is starting but now one new problem is there. Every time i start my computer i got message "CMOS Setting wrong. Press f1 to run setup and f2 to load default and continue" and when i run setup i find my time and date resetted and also it is taking time to show hardware monitor section. Computer is lacking both speed and stability.
Edit:
@smith, how to remove that battery. It is firmly fixed there. I there any sp. Technique to remove it.

Last edited:

stesouthby

Reaction score
when you was messing inside did you ground your self before opening the case? and also some of them you have to bend the metal up an it just just fall out others you have to push down on one side and the other side pops up an others just use a screw driver an carefully take it out

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
@smith, how to remove that battery. It is firmly fixed there. I there any sp. Technique to remove it.

There might be a little lever where the battery is which is holding down the battery locking it in place. If you pull it back from the battery slightly you should be able to remove the battery.

legendkiller4all

Reaction score
I think its all messed up.... FIRST check memory,remove it ,clean it with a cotton cloth ,reinstall it again.
Check the CMOS battery, heat sink etc.
Now check it............. ok

silkje

Reaction score
i had a similar problem one time i decided to clean my heatsink. once i put it back into my comp it would just switch off, drove me mad! I figured maybe bad memory or psu had finally given out. Then i decided to check out the temps in my bios (had to be quick though as i didnt have much time till the auto shutdown), it turned out that it was overheating and would restart to avoid any damage. On closer inspection i damaged my heatsink pins on reinstallation and so there was no proper connection between cpu and heatsink. i got a new heatsink and all was fine.

The heatsink needs to be firmly in place, ensure it is not lose at all or cpu will overheat and shut down.