My website

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Genesis Films

To be be perfectly honest there is nothing really wrong with it, sure there are a couple of minor technical tweeks it could do with but apart from that works fine. Visually however it still needs some attention, the colour scheme especially needs some thought.

genesisf

Reaction score
Thank you. As for the design I'm guessing your specifically talking about the films section although there are other places that need work.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm afraid I have to be a little less kind after looking under the hood. It's only the very forgiving nature of browsers that allows the site to work at all.

There's a pretty good chance that I'm not seeing the same site that you are. You see, I have my default font set to something that allows me to comfortably read ancient academic papers in the browser, and since you're not controlling the font at all, I'm seeing very different "pages" in the main page area, the tweets and the feed. But as cybrax noted, the visuals are just a matter of tweaks.

The real problem is the HTML itself. It's not all wrong, but it's "all wrong", if you follow my meaning. Please don't take this personally—none of us started out as experts. It's just that if you get things as right as they can be now, you won't find yourself battling with inexplicable problems later on.

The first thing I noticed is that you don't have a document type declared. That means that the browser doesn't know what rules it should be playing by, so sometimes it will zig when you expect it to zag. There have been a number of different "flavours" of HTML over the years, and each of them come with a set of expectations. When you don't use a doctype, the browser will just assume that you want to play by the rules as they were back in about 1998, when the web was wild and free and every browser did something a little different. There are a number of different doctypes you can use, but unless you really have a need to support Internet Explorer version 7, I would suggest using the latest version:

HTML:
<!DOCTYPE html>

That goes right at the top of the file, before the <html> opening tag.Once the browser sees that, it knows what rules to use when putting the page together, and all current browsers will do pretty much the same thing. (There are some limitations with Internet Explorer 8, but none that you need to worry about at the moment.)

The next problem is that you've got the <head> inside the <body>. And the <title> is outside of the <head>. Neither of those are allowed, and they can cause some pretty nasty problems. The top part of your home page should look like this:

HTML:
<html>
<head>
   <title>Genesis Films</title>
   <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="GF_webdesign.css" />
</head>
<body>

The only thing that should come before the <title> in the <head> is any <meta> tags that would alter the way the page renders (usually the character set if you're using Unicode). You've also got parts of a table in your footer that don't belong—you can't have table rows or table data cells without a table for them to live in, and there's nothing table-like about a one-line copyright notice. Just make that a paragraph instead. That's it for the basic structure, but there are other things you're going to want to fix before you get too deep.

You're using CSS styling, which is good, but you're using local, inline styling which is bad. You're going to want to move all of that off into your stylesheet. The problem with local styles isn't that they're wrong, but that if you ever decide to make changes, you need to make changes everywhere. When things are in your stylesheet, you only have to edit the stylesheet once and the whole site is updated. There are also some really neat tricks you can do, like inserting content. Take the hyphens between your menu items, for instance. If you ever decide to change the order of things in the menu, you have to manually make sure that the hyphens are in the right places. You can handle that automatically in the stylesheet, and leave the hyphens out of the HTML. It will be worth your time to learn how to use CSS well; it can save you an awful lot of time and effort in the long run.

genesisf

Reaction score
Thanks I never knew about.

HTML:
<!DOCTYPE html>

Although I just started HTML a month ago this is my first website. Also with a little work (It's 4:43am) I was able to get a lot of my styling in the css file only things left to do are the video pages, the font, and some little details (like the hyphens) but all the other stuff should be good.

Last edited:

eggo9432

Reaction score
The site works, but it seems to load rather slowly for being so simple, so try to make your code a bit more efficient, and minimize image sizes. For example, this image can be resized to save space: http://genesisfilms.x10.mx/outbreak.jpg. I would also suggest making the site more visually appealing, as right now it is lacking. Good start so far, and good luck!

ellescuba27

Reaction score
Why

in

the

html

is

there

double

lines

between

every

tag
And also, the red links on the Behind the Scenes page reminds me of a wiki where all the links are broken. At first, I thought they were... As well, links should be underlined, as most links on most sites are, and people may think it is normal text otherwise. Other than that, it's great, nice site.

genesisf

Reaction score
The site works, but it seems to load rather slowly for being so simple, so try to make your code a bit more efficient, and minimize image sizes. For example, this image can be resized to save space: http://genesisfilms.x10.mx/outbreak.jpg. I would also suggest making the site more visually appealing, as right now it is lacking. Good start so far, and good luck!

Thanks, working with a couple new styles That's why it's a mess right now. ellescuba27 It makes it easier for me to concentrate. Thanks will change those soon.