MySql Connection String

fenris

Reaction score
Hi,

Im attempting to create a VB program that connects to one of the MySql Databases that are hosted on my site.

I tried using my website URL for the server name but cant seem to connect.

is there any way i could get the information needed for the connection string?

xPlozion

Reaction score
x10's mysql servers only allow a connection from the same server. you have to set the host to localhost.

you could make a script that would require some sort of authorization, then have that parse the mysql commands and give you feedback from it.

fenris

Reaction score
is there any way then to get a remote connection to the MySQL database?

or is every connection only from the server side?

Im trying to develop a application that would have to send mysql commands to the server but it would involve a connection from the users machines to the database. Is that blocked by security or is it a option i overlooked somewhere?

Last edited:

xPlozion

Reaction score
yes, all incoming connections to mysql are blocked by their firewall. even if you've got a php script, you cannot use ***.x10hosting.com to access the database.

but try the way i suggested, by using a php script to do that server side, and have some sort of authentication to prevent unauthorized mysql access. the only thing is that built in db functions would render useless and you would have to use custom code to work with it.

Last edited:

xmakina

Reaction score
The other option is to have a PHP file on the server that simply executes $_GET['comm'] and pass the GET parameter (that is the stuff after *.php?) and use your VB app to open that page with a webbrowser object.

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
Meh... Technicly.

You can fool the server into thinking its from localhost, but I wont go into it. xD

Shadow121

Reaction score
Guys, you can setup a remote-MySQL thing in cPanel. allow your IP Address to connect to the server's MySQL by going to: yourdomain:2082/frontend/x3/sql/managehost.html

then you can add your IP. the connection string would be:
Code:
server=yourdomain; user id=your_user; password=your_pass; database=your_db; pooling=false;

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Guys, you can setup a remote-MySQL thing in cPanel. allow your IP Address to connect to the server's MySQL by going to: yourdomain:2082/frontend/x3/sql/managehost.html

then you can add your IP. the connection string would be:
Code:
server=yourdomain; user id=your_user; password=your_pass; database=your_db; pooling=false;

Has been tried and fails; unless your IP is already excluded from the firewall, the SQL server will not let you connect.

The firewall isn't tied into the cpanel in any way, shape, or form, hence the problem - you can get cpanel to allow it, but the server itself won't even see the request because it'll get blasted by the firewall first.