Mysql Database suggestion

CWeb Creative

Reaction score
Since having a few small db's isn't very much load on a server why not go from counting mysql databases by the number of them to adding their size to the disk space usage on your account. I figure that since now you have the mysql server remote that it should be no problem as far as performance. Please take my suggestion into consideration or tell me why this would not work for you as i know it can be done with cpanel.

Edit: this applies to free accounts mainly but paid should be considered

regards,
Wiivsps3

Last edited:

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
cPanel/WHM uses the "mySQL databases" and etc as variables in different packages. Making it infinite would just make people go crazy and stuff, honestly. Plus we couldn't change how cPanel works if we wanted to (and we do..). It's all encrypted.

CWeb Creative

Reaction score
No i mean i've seen hosts do it my way before and they aren't having any problems. Not all people would go crazy. Just the abusers that already abuse the service.

Edit: anyway its not the databases that cause load to the servers its the size and queries

Last edited:

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
We have 5 free servers with over 2,000 accounts each...

A lot of them would abuse it.

CWeb Creative

Reaction score
Well then atleast rase it from 3 because that is a bit low and i know from personal expierence with the business that it isnt hard to do better and yes i know that you can get the double all package but still make is a nice number like 5, 10 or 15. Yes you have a lot of accounts but you also now have remote mysql servers and dipending on whether they are any good they should be able to handle a bunch of databases.

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
There's honestly no point for multiple databases. The only reason I use them is to separate my data from my users that I host. Most users can survive on three databases and using DB prefixes. Especially since most users are newbies at this stuff and are only looking to host a forum or otherwise.

I have 10 dbs. I use 4 of them.

CWeb Creative

Reaction score
Well theres no point in not allowing 2 more. Its a lot easier than doubling disk space and i bet you that if you ask users that they would be for it and if you use db_prefixes it tendis to get messy for things like a forums and wordpress. Yes, a lot of your users are new at this but why not give those who aren't a chance to actually make use of the disk space for good purposes rather than hosting a random file, or leting it sit there unused. An example is that on my site i have wordpress mu, drupal, and mybb. Mybb and drupal are seprate at this point because i am working on a bridge script that doesnt require them to be in the same database. I would like to add another script for a clan site. I am using 200 and some mb's of disk space and on average about 2/3 of my bandwidth but all of my mysql db's. It wouldn't be any trouble to double mysql db's like you did the disk space.

Last edited: