Mystery files in the site web root

Status
Not open for further replies.

lydia09

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
First off, if this is the wrong forum for my very first post, sorry! I looked at all the forums and this seemed like the best one, hopefully I'm right.

So, anyway, my question is this:
When setting up my first web site, I noticed there were a lot of directories (and a file) in my web root that I couldn't figure out the purpose of. These were:

Directories:
_private
_vti_bin
_vti_cnf
_vti_log
_vti_pvt
_vti_txt

File:
_vti_inf.html

Can someone please tell me what these files are? Can they be deleted successfully without compromising a site? All the directories seem empty, so that doesn't give me any hint what they do. I looked at the html file, and it looked like it just dealt with FrontPage, which I don't use; is FrontPage required on the server for something?

Thanks,
Lydia

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi everybody,
First off, if this is the wrong forum for my very first post, sorry! I looked at all the forums and this seemed like the best one, hopefully I'm right.

So, anyway, my question is this:
When setting up my first web site, I noticed there were a lot of directories (and a file) in my web root that I couldn't figure out the purpose of. These were:

Directories:
_private
_vti_bin
_vti_cnf
_vti_log
_vti_pvt
_vti_txt

File:
_vti_inf.html

Can someone please tell me what these files are? Can they be deleted successfully without compromising a site? All the directories seem empty, so that doesn't give me any hint what they do. I looked at the html file, and it looked like it just dealt with FrontPage, which I don't use; is FrontPage required on the server for something?

Thanks,
Lydia

Hi Lydia,

You are right about the frontpage All the _vti folders and files are required if you are going to use the frontpage.

If they are there it is not a problem. Anyway they are not indexed in any where as the .htaccess file is controlling the indexing.

lydia09

Reaction score
Thanks to both of you for your answers; I guess I'll just get rid of those files then. :)

And misson, you're probably right, I should have Googled this, but it was 1 in the morning at the time I posted, so it didn't cross my mind. I liked the animated Google link you had there, it was neat. How did you do that? (or maybe I'll just Google that too, haha!)

Thanks,
Lydia

lukoot

Reaction score
hi misson
I liked the animated Google link you had there to , it was really cool. please How did you do that?

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Alex, let's try NOT posting in one year old topics..

Sound good?

Cool.

Request thread closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.