Necessary Server Folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

grpace

Reaction score
Hi, all !

I was just curious as to which folders on x10 hosted sites are necessary. I see several 'default' folders I haven't seen on other hosts.

If I could get a list of each folder name, what it's for, as well if it's absolutely necessary, I'd greatly appreciate it (i.e. Can I delete it without breaking anything).

Thanks in advance.

vishal

-::-X10 Guru-::-
Community Support
Reaction score
**Moved to Free hosting**

grpace

Reaction score
OK...
So the topic was moved to Free Hosting.

Still didn't answer my question.

Skizzerz

Contributors
Staff member
Contributors
Reaction score
the better question is, what folders are you trying to delete?

EDIT: as a general rule of thumb:
  • If the folder starts with a period, don't delete it
  • If the folder starts with public_, don't delete it
  • If the folder starts with an underscore (like _vti_something), I have no idea what it's used for, but don't delete it
  • If the folder has a fancy icon next to it in the cPanel file manager, don't delete it

If you think that the above list covers nearly every (if not every) folder that is there by default, then you're right. Stuff like that is there for a reason, don't mess with it.

Last edited:

calistoy

Free Support Volunteer
Community Support
Reaction score
This is just from my viewpoint. In the public_html directory (where you upload your site), the only necessary things barring anything I install or upload there are the .htaccess file and the index.html. I deleted the cgi folder because any blogging or cms software I decide to use, it never uses that anyway.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
If you do not intend to use the frontpage extension, you don't really need any of the folders that are present by default in your public_html directory.

Directories that reside outside of public_html, in other words are directly in the root (/home/yourcpanelname/), should not be deleted.

Status
Not open for further replies.