Need a little help

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Although I am clueless about JavaScript, I recommend you be more specific about your question.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
And please do note that Java and JavaScript are two completely different languages -- some platforms (notably IBM Lotus Domino and OpenOffice.org) use Java as a scripting language, so there is actually a difference between a "Java script" and "JavaScript".

walidno1

Reaction score
http://www.w3schools.com/ for the beginners?! or if u need to do a specific function through javascript in your website then there are loads of free and easily modifiable scripts out there. I use one to cycle images per 3 sec in my site(www.myriad.x10hosting.com) and its absolutely free. You can find similar ones. Just a heads up, if u are like me who dont really need to learn javascript by heart!!

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score

Again, not necessarily. This forum isn't restricted to help with scripts running on x10Hosting, and there are both "Java script" (using Java as a scripting language on another platform much as you would use VBA on Windows or AppleScript on a Mac) and "JavaScript" (the Netscape proprietary version of, and the common name for, ECMAScript).

I have done rather a lot of both over the years -- the two-word version on OpenOffice.org (now Apache OpenOffice, LibreOffice and IBM Lotus Symphony) and IBM Lotus Domino, and the one-word version in client-side browser code (naturally), Apache CouchDB and Rhino. In fact, I've probably written more "Java" code in JavaScript using Rhino over the past few years than straight Java, thanks to IBM's implementation of Java Server Faces (XPages) on the Domino platform.

Yes, it does get confusing, and that's why I asked. Programming is about stating things precisely.

And can we please stop sending people to W3Schools? If you have the capacity to program at all and you're having trouble with JavaScript, it's probably because of sites like W3Schools (and most of the books I've seen that were written before about 2009). It can be a handy reference for DOM bindings, but it's a lousy place to learn the language -- the site's authors obviously don't really understand the language; the code is more-or-less Fortran or VBScript written with a funny syntax. JavaScript is a wonderful language that is very much an event-driven dialect of Lisp (with a funny syntax for Lisp). If you want to learn JS, then try JavaScript: The Good Parts by Douglas Crawford or Eloquent JavaScript (there's a free online version).