Need Clarification on TOS Again... =/

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkX3536

Reaction score
Hmm... *Reads through the TOS and AUP* I need help with some parts again...

1. From TOS:

* Script Hosting: Space provided by x10Hosting is to be used to create a functional website, we do not allow bots, content scrapers, or any other script that runs continuously on your account. Any scripts that are executed via cron or manually must be directly related to your website.

Does anyone have more examples of such scripts?

2, From TOS:

* Shoutbox\Chat Scripts: Use of these scripts is strictly forbidden due to the amount of MySQL queries they take. Accounts found with chat scripts or shoutboxes will be suspended.

If this is the case, am I right to say that commentary systems (like those you see in blogs @ Blogspot) are also disallowed?

3. From AUP, under "Materials Protected by Copyright"

You may not publish, distribute, or otherwise copy in any manner any music, software, art, or other work protected by copyright law unless:...

Well, if I put up screenshots of shows/videos/games that I have played with, will I be faulted by this clause?

I guess that's all for now... Thanks!

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
Script hosting would be something like running a bot such as supybot from your hosting

Comments systems are allowed, as they don't use AJAX

Only if you're breaking copyrights

~Callum

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
comment systems to a blog or other similar systems would be more similar to a forum thread that's being replied to rather then a chat.
Chat systems would be automatically reloading ever so often to make it more like real time chatting.

Generally screenshots are not a problem, although technically they could be violating copyright laws.
I have yet to see an official complaint regarding someone posting screenshots or similar (for instance taking a photo of a book, to post together with a review of the book, could fall under copyright laws, but is generally allowed by the book companies)

Last edited:

darkX3536

Reaction score
Script hosting would be something like running a bot such as supybot from your hosting

Comments systems are allowed, as they don't use AJAX

Only if you're breaking copyrights

~Callum

1. Hmm... Ok...
2. Am I right to say that AJAX-related stuff are disallowed?
3. I see... That will be a tough one to determine though... :eek:

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Look up "Fair Use" online; chances are your screencaps fall under that, although it may not hurt to add something like "Screenshots property of <yournamehere>, <gamename> is property of <original developer here>, all rights reserved."

IGN and other sites tag their screencaps as theirs, so the first part replicates that, and the last part makes sure everyone knows you're not actually affiliated with the game site in question.

More than likely it's all Fair Use, but it never hurts to check :)

As for 2, AJAX itself is not disallowed, however BE CAREFUL WITH IT - it's extremely easy to accidentally make it reload pages over and over and over. This would be bad since it'd hit you with a high resource usage suspension; fixable, but not healthy. :)

darkX3536

Reaction score
comment systems to a blog or other similar systems would be more similar to a forum thread that's being replied to rather then a chat.
Chat systems would be automatically reloading ever so often to make it more like real time chatting.

Generally screenshots are not a problem, although technically they could be violating copyright laws.
I have yet to see an official complaint regarding someone posting screenshots or similar (for instance taking a photo of a book, to post together with a review of the book, could fall under copyright laws, but is generally allowed by the book companies)

1. I can see why chatboxes are'nt allowed now... =X
2. Whoa... It's complicated, eh? *Places similar status on Facebook entry on Copyrights*

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Not entirely sure it's actually that complicated, but the words they use to describe what's legal and what's not certainly is.

Which is a shame - it'd be so much simpler if it was just "The screencap is yours, but you must make it known what it's actually from" - that'd be so darned easy to do :)

darkX3536

Reaction score
Look up "Fair Use" online; chances are your screencaps fall under that, although it may not hurt to add something like "Screenshots property of <yournamehere>, <gamename> is property of <original developer here>, all rights reserved."

IGN and other sites tag their screencaps as theirs, so the first part replicates that, and the last part makes sure everyone knows you're not actually affiliated with the game site in question.

More than likely it's all Fair Use, but it never hurts to check :)

As for 2, AJAX itself is not disallowed, however BE CAREFUL WITH IT - it's extremely easy to accidentally make it reload pages over and over and over. This would be bad since it'd hit you with a high resource usage suspension; fixable, but not healthy. :)

1. Seems to me that so far, my usage will come under "Fair Use"...
2. Well, I won't touch AJAX for now then... Not too sure how to use PHP in the first place anyway :tongue:

---------- Post added at 01:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

Not entirely sure it's actually that complicated, but the words they use to describe what's legal and what's not certainly is.

Which is a shame - it'd be so much simpler if it was just "The screencap is yours, but you must make it known what it's actually from" - that'd be so darned easy to do :)

That's why I had to start a thread on it... :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.