Network in vista doesen't work

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
It shut LAN off every exact 5 minutes. Is it because Lenovo don't allow thinkpad users to use the windows function and we need to use their faulty software? Any ideas? There are no errors whatsoever, it just shuts it down exactly after 5 minutes

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
If it's not the router crashing or a bad Ethernet cable, pop in some new drivers. You shouldn't need to use the company's software, as even then, all you need is a simple 32KB file and Windows has the right stuff in it to get going.

On the drivers, I know that a lot of PC makers use outdated drivers and the such, even on new builds so you might have a buggy one. I've seen many Dells that have the first driver out for their device and it makes the computer unstable, especially when it comes down to gaming as the driver keeps crashing out.

Last edited:

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Well, 50% of my class has this problem, but some are lucky not getting this.

GBH187

Reaction score
It shut LAN off every exact 5 minutes. Is it because Lenovo don't allow thinkpad users to use the windows function and we need to use their faulty software? Any ideas? There are no errors whatsoever, it just shuts it down exactly after 5 minutes

What do you mean lenovo want you to use their faulty software?

are you actually talking about wireless and not a LAN ?

perhaps you should try and update your wireless drivers and if you are in fact in a large class full of people talk to your schools network administrators about their wireless access points.

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Well, we bought a D-Link router to LAN with games, but some people, including me, can't play because the lenovo software turns off the radio communication. I always need to close the game, then press FN + F5 to get up some lenovo junk where you need to turn it on again.

This happens only when the connection is local only with no internet

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Did you try the power settings in that software? If worst comes to worst, see if uninstalling the software will let Windows manage the connection entirely, or see if plugging the router into some form of connection would fix it.