New, odd email

masshuu

Head of the Geese
Community Support
Enemy of the State
Reaction score
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 02:05:00 -0700 (PDT)
Reply-To: Mary Abery <@rogers.com>
To: _@sfu.ca
Subject: My Donation

Dear Beloved,

I am at the end of the road, and about to donate a huge sum of money through you. I promise that your assistance would be rewarded.

Remain Blessed
Mrs. Mary Abery
Very odd. Thats the university that my Canadian friend goes to.

Last edited:

wvupcjo

Reaction score
That is rather strange. I almost think it might be a scam, but at the same time, it being from a actual school email its hard to tell. Did you reply?

masshuu

Head of the Geese
Community Support
Enemy of the State
Reaction score
It almost sounds like my friends writing, although he hasn't responded to me.

bhupendra2895

Reaction score
It may be your friends, but I recieve such emails daily.From Zimbombay president's relative to Nigerian presidents and FBI also wants to give me money, which is awaiting custom department verification.Recently I won a microsoft lottery.

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
It sounds like something I wouldn't want to respond to. Unless you know who the person is, I'd delete the email and forget about it.
Lists of student emails are probably very common at universities (people get paid to put them into a big list and sell them to other people)

masshuu

Head of the Geese
Community Support
Enemy of the State
Reaction score
got a second one today, so i doubt it is him.
To: <_@gmail.com>
Dear Beloved,

I am at the end of the road, and about to donate a huge sum of money through you. I promise that your assistance would be rewarded. This email was sent through one of my personal assistant (Kim Duncan). Please contact me via my private email address below for more information:
PRIVATE EMAIL: @rogers.com

Remain Blessed
Mrs. Mary Abery
Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in this e-mail from Children's Hospital & Medical Center is privileged and confidential and is intended only for the use of the addressee(s) indicated above. Use or disclosure of information e-mailed in error is respectfully prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender and immediately delete the original message. You may also report this by calling (402) 955-6700. General business inquiries may call (402) 955-5400.

I'm almost willing to reply just to see what happens.

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
Sender could be spoofed...

Call Children's Hospital.

masshuu

Head of the Geese
Community Support
Enemy of the State
Reaction score
I sent a reply to the original sender. Did some searching, apparently this wouldn't be the first time an email like this has been sent from a hospital without someone knowing their email was used.

Basically asking if they send that email and if not to forward my reply to their IT.

Last edited:

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Oh, that's a 419 for sure. In the quoted first instance, well, Simon Fraser is in Shaw Cable's territory, not Rogers', so although the mail appears to originate from British Columbia (west coast), the reply-to address is in Eastern Canada. If Canada were the size of, say, Belgium, no big deal, but we're talking about a four-day commute here -- a bit much for an older woman at the end of her life, don't you think? The only new twist here is that you need to reply to the first part of the sob story to find out that there's a family squabble going on over inheritance, so the donation has to be made through somebody else's bank account and could you please send me your account information so I can deposit my vast wealth...

GtoXic

x10 Support
Reaction score
It may be your friends, but I recieve such emails daily.From Zimbombay president's relative to Nigerian presidents and FBI also wants to give me money, which is awaiting custom department verification.Recently I won a microsoft lottery.

wow, send me microsoft's money XD

bhupendra2895

Reaction score
wow, send me microsoft's money XD
This is one step process.
Just post your email address on the poker sites and other spamming sites(often ugly looking and require you to signup to get the free content), you will win so many lotteries like me.Good luck Frozenmafia
and same to you Alex. :-D