New VPS Service!

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for all the interest, here are some clarifications.

You will have access to HyperVM which lets you reformat your VPS at anytime back to the base OS. So if you really mess something up software wise you can login and reset it. It also gives you some access to other controls for your VPS like rebooting it if it hangs.

Regarding cPanel. cPanel created a special low memory usage VPS version that only uses 96MB of Mem. (http://www.cpanel.net/products/cpvps/). This CAN be used with your VPS but is not free. It would cost $12\mo extra for the WHM\cPanel license through us. You are of course welcome to get the license somewhere else.

If you choose not to go with cPanel we can offer you another control panel free of charge (lxadmin). Screen shots and information on it can be found here: http://lxlabs.com/software/lxadmin/screen/

Burstable Memory VS Dedicated Memory.
--You are allocated a certain amount of memory that is guaranteed to be there. If the system has free memory you are allowed to go over the guaranteed amount to your burstable limit. Sometimes when you're installing something or the server is under heavy load you need extra memory allotment for a short period. This gives you the extra memory but does not cost extra.

Multiple Accounts
Multiple account restrictions are ONLY for free accounts. You can have 5 paid accounts and 1 free account, or 5 VPSs 5 Paid Hosting accounts and 1 free account ;)

-Corey
-Corey

Last edited:

Scott B

Reaction score
Yay!
I am currently on paid hosting but will probably upgrade to a VPS when I need it since the smallest one is only $2 more per month

Nathan H

Reaction score
w00t i am SO getting one of these
i might go to bank drop some money off and get one now
Edit:
Will namneservers like BIND be allowed to run on the server? or is there no limitation
Edit:
How long do these take to activate?

Last edited:

Sohail

Reaction score
This host always gets better and better ;) It's always full of suprises too :) Congrats x10Hosting.

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
w00t i am SO getting one of these
i might go to bank drop some money off and get one now
Edit:
Will namneservers like BIND be allowed to run on the server? or is there no limitation
Edit:
How long do these take to activate?

Yes, you can run BIND but I recommend you get 2 IPs for nameservers.

They will activate after you pay in most cases. Adding cPanel might take longer.

Nathan H

Reaction score
email recieve thankytou very much :D:D now to figure out how to use it
Edit:
i know it says the VPS is unmanaged but how do we install other OS' for example a linux distro with a GUI and VNC?

Last edited:

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
email recieve thankytou very much :D:D now to figure out how to use it
Edit:
i know it says the VPS is unmanaged but how do we install other OS' for example a linux distro with a GUI and VNC?

You would go to OS Templates, select an OS template. Login to SSH, install the GUI, etc you want and then you'd be all set. None of the templates come with a GUI by default. Also if the OS you want is not there let me know and I will try to get an image for it up as soon as possible.

Nathan H

Reaction score
Would it be possible to build an image for the server (using a virtual computer on my home PC) and then upload this image?)
Sorry i have never even heard of these before i brought one

Nathan H

Reaction score
it would be a linux distro with a GUI and VNC active i would be making sure that the resource useage is as low as possible (limiting the virtual machine) and everything is either opensource or free. Just cause i know for me (a newbie to VPS) it would be much easier with a UI to the VPS than a command line shell)

Nathan H

Reaction score
With a VPS your guarenteed space and memory so any memory intensive php script will run faster. as for loading faster, im not sure, you'll probably have CPU priorety over freehosting, but im not sure how the servers power is shared

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
My site is mostly html

I'd stick with your current paid hosting account then. There's really no reason for you to require a VPS unless you use vBulletin or need custom software to be installed :)

-Luke.

kkenny

Reaction score
I'd stick with your current paid hosting account then. There's really no reason for you to require a VPS unless you use vBulletin or need custom software to be installed :)

-Luke.
I agree.

One question, can we run Shoutcast or anything of the such on the VPS?