News/Announcements read-only

Should the News and Announcements forum be made read-only for regular members?

• Yes

Votes: 52 92.9%
  • No

Votes: 4 7.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Would it be a good idea to make News & Announcements, Server Alerts etc forums so only mods and admins can post there? It's kinda difficult to keep track of what's going on with regards to issues like MySQL when there are so many posts going on about peoples troubles.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
That'd be a nice idea, so I'd have to agree with that. It'd sure cut down on digging through threads to find things.

adrenlinerush

Reaction score
personally i think that major server changes should be e-mail notification... the forum is great for support as anybody can help and takes some load of the staff... and think its ok for server alerts with bugs... but changes I think should be sent out like a week in advance... or change the requirements to not just login but view server changed/updates and have them there atleast the span of required login ahead of time

but then again its free so can't have it all...

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
I know that, but about the e-mail thing, that wouldn't be a bad idea anyways. The e-mails can always be sent out to our forum e-mail address and the website address, just to make sure that people will get it (in case if one mail provider blocks the message for some reason).

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
That's ok for when it's known about in advance, but server alerts can't necessarily be sent in advance. Also, it's nice to have a central area where news items are.

adrenlinerush

Reaction score
well an update like mysql 4.1 to 5.x should be known in advance...
a central place would be fine with no junk... just alerts/updates etc...

moltes

Reaction score
yes, and that's the idea of the first post. To have a forum with only informations, no member comments. For this there is the support forum.
I agree with this idea :)

dbzlotrfan

Reaction score
I think it's a nice idea, along with what (that hosts the various forums/sites/what-not) is up and not.

Jesse

Reaction score
It is a nice idea but where do people post when they have questions regarding the news/announcement?

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
The admin can keep the topic unlocked them, or make another topic for comments and such. That might work...

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
It is a nice idea but where do people post when they have questions regarding the news/announcement?
Usually such questions are "It's not working, fix it please!" which can go in the relevant support sections.

Questions about the news and announcements are not actually news or announcements...

The admin can keep the topic unlocked them, or make another topic for comments and such. That might work...
That's half the problem: It's hard to find updates on the N&A's because of all the other posts that are in the thread.

Last edited:

dbzlotrfan

Reaction score
Would it be possible to make the "forum" were thinking of as a read-only (to us), and have a sub forum that has a duplicate topic (all topics in the main forum get copied to the sub forum automatically(?)) that we can reply to?

I don't know VB very well, it can do somethings IPB & others can't.

Xemnas

Reaction score
I think this is an excellent idea, since people would be able to see exactly what is happening, and not have to sift though dozens of posts to find out what is happening. I have added a poll to this thread.

EDIT: Pinning this as well, if you guys like the idea I'll pass it on to the admins.

Last edited:

anoviceyup

Reaction score
I voted yes. This MySQL situation has highlighted the situation - it's difficult to scan through 30 odd pages of "me-too" posts just to find the latest announcement from Corey.

Archkronos

Reaction score
Yes and no. No in cases like MySQL help here, but yes when, for example it is said DO NOT POST HERE UNTIL WE SAY SO.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Yes and no. No in cases like MySQL help here, but yes when, for example it is said DO NOT POST HERE UNTIL WE SAY SO.
Doesn't that secretly mean "Look, we know there's a problem, so don't post 101 messages saying that the problem exists please?" though?

curt15

Reaction score
I would rather have a topic, saying whats going on from the people upstairs, easier to see whats going on that way, and have a separate topic for, "me too"

Swiblet

Reaction score
I voted yes ^_~ People don't seem to know what it means when there is a support thread and a news thread.

~~B3N

Status
Not open for further replies.