News/Announcements read-only

Should the News and Announcements forum be made read-only for regular members?

• Yes

Votes: 52 92.9%
  • No

Votes: 4 7.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dazz

Reaction score
Yep, would be a sure way to stop the 'My MySql isn't working' posts in the thread titled 'Mysql will be down for maintainance' :hahano:

DurbanYouthCouncil

Reaction score
I think this would be a great idea, however there needs to also be topic where users can comment on the announcement/news

wolf693

Reaction score
Yes I know I'm a new member here, but I do want to take part in these things!

I think that would be a great idea! But I have to agree with DurbanYouthCouncil, having a topic stickied to the top where members can comment on the changes would limit some possible confusion with any news going on. But yes, having the News/Announcements forum read-only to regular members would limit the clutter and organize things much better!

robsabla

Reaction score
hither twice for the idea. well done.

not only should they be read only, but RSS format or something similar thats easy to read for N00bs like meself, glad to know other people are feeling the same about the updates and getting info around here
Edit:
I think this would be a great idea, however there needs to also be topic where users can comment on the announcement/news

what the hell would be the point in that? you'd just get people groaning for server down messages, and people just saying it's about time. with all these groanings and complaints, it would just bring some poor server down even more

Last edited:

Xemnas

Reaction score
RSS feeds wouldn't be a bad idea, but how many people would use them?

davearonson

Reaction score
RSS feeds wouldn't be a bad idea, but how many people would use them?

I for one welcome our new RSS overlords. ;) On the other claw, some people may then forget to log into the fershlugginer forums every two weeks and get suspended. On the gripping hand, first, an RSS feed of important updates means less need to log into the forums for the news, and second, that's their own dang fault. :biggrin:

(Yes, Fate, that's your cue to make me somehow unable to log in for two weeks....)

BTW, I experienced just this very morning another example of why locking the announcement forums would be so great. I read Corey's announcement of the domain giveaway, went to look for details, and did not relish wading through pages of "oooh, that's great, i wanna win, pick me, pick me!" :rant2:

In summary: :lockd:

deadimp

Reaction score
I agree with what nearly everyone else has said.
Lock the main announcement topic to keep the crap out, and have a related topic for comments / troubles.
If that's too much, maybe a filter to only show replies by an admin or moderator. That wouldn't be as perfect, but probably more helpful.

what the hell would be the point in that? you'd just get people groaning for server down messages, and people just saying it's about time. with all these groanings and complaints, it would just bring some poor server down even more
It may seem counter-productive in relation to completely locking the topic, but it'd keep a somewhat more defined area for those topics to be placed, kind of an advantage for admins / mods / users looking for similar answers.

Last edited:

Vijay

Reaction score
:lockd:I was wondering why the Admin is not locking the Server Upgrade Announcements Thread.
All for it. :lockd:

Thumbs UP

It will be such a help to not have to sift through pages of useless complaining by ADHD members to read what the admins have to say.

:hyper: For the regular members a link to Member's Response [:rant2:bickering? pardon me I guess I too am not above it all:rant2:] can be placed at the head of the announcements for those who can't just keep it in and have to just say something.:rant2:

karhukat

Reaction score
I would really like to see a News & Announcement forum that has only official staff announcement so that I can subscribe to it and receive email updates of official news/announcements without all the responses. Even if you don't want to subscribe to it would make finding info easier. Open a discussion thread somewhere else for all the complaints and "thank for a great job" responses that ultimately ensue.

Galdhrim

Reaction score
Yes, there should be an announcement thread, and a link to a discussion thread. In that other thread, the first post should have a link to the announcement (read only) thread, that way we wouldn't lose the track of things....

Christopher

Retired
Reaction score
I vote for read only with a feedback with discussion thread.

For those of you who asked about a rss feed, I might be starting a rss feed. You can also install my toolbar. It notifies you when there is news.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.