No audio with Flash Player 10, & Vista- Any [polite] suggestions

frankfriend

Reaction score
Hi,
I have no audio with apps which use Flash Player 10 [or 9], I am running uder Vista Ultimate.
For example with BBC iPlayer, no sound. But I have full sound with Channel 5 On Demand, or ITV .com. No souynd with You Tube videos, or with MSN's MSNBC.
Obviously I am in the UK.

Any suggestions? I have updated the sound driver.

Best regards

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
sure you didn't press "mute" on the videos, and that you have the speakers turned up when you go to youtube?

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
If the volume settings are fine, visit Abode and make sure you have the latest flash player. If that doesn't work, uninstall and reinstall flash. If it still fails, make sure you have Vista Service Pack 1 installed, all updates along with the latest driivers.

compwhizii

Banned
Reaction score
I agree, checking the volume settings and updating flash are good things to do.

Wystery

Reaction score
There are a lot of reasons why there's no sound in flash player. One of the most common issues is the mapping of wavemapper in registry. I believed this is most probably your case and I hoped that you are confident in doing some simple editing in Windows registry. Here are the steps:

Click on the Vista Start button> type "run" in the Start Search and hit Enter. Type "regedit" and hit ok. On the left, make your way to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32

Right click on the blank space in the right panel> New> String value
enter "wavemapper" (without quots of course) as the name, then hit Enter again and use "msacm32.drv" as the value data, hit ok. Close the Registry Editor window.

If I remembered correctly, you do not need to restart your computer. If this is indeed the problem, this method will fix the issue and you will be able to hear sound in flash video straight away.

frankfriend

Reaction score
Hey there Wystery,

Thanks very much for your suggestion, which has worked! I now have sound. I hope there are no side effects!

Many thanks