no more windows xp?

cursedpsp

Reaction score
Hi incase you haven't realized yet but most of the main manufactures of pc's and laptops are not distributing windows xp with their computers - nor are they selling the os.

I dont think they realize it yet but windows vista is the slowest operating system on the market. My brother has a 3.5gHZ, 4CPU, 3GB of RAM running on vista home premium - it takes 2 mins to load! Also 1.5GB of his 3 that he has is be wasted at idle time.

Even laptops are preventing you from installing it!

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Laptops are not preventing anyone from installing XP, and you can still buy computers with XP if you know where to look. For example, Vigor Gaming still sells their gaming systems with a choice of any version of Vista or XP. As for the laptops not letting you install, just format your hard drive, and boot into the XP disk and install with your XP key and it will work. If laptops wouldn't let you run XP on there, then they most certainly won't like you running Linux.

As for that RAM, it's not "wasted." What Vista uses that for is whatever he uses the computer for. When Vista starts, it boots the operating system up, loads Aero (if he can take it) a Quick Find Service (to search from the start menu which I find very useful) and to load programs that he uses a lot such as Microsoft Word and Internet Explorer/Firefox into the memory, that way they open quicker. Besides, Vista utilizes RAM that would otherwise be wasting power having free space.

And Vista is a very fast operating system. The only reason it would be slow if it's because of your computer itself. One of my family relatives put Vista Home Premium on a Gateway laptop with 512MB of RAM, a 2.0GHz single core AMD Sempron, and an 80GB hard drive and it still boots up in about a minute. Heck, when I first put Vista on my gaming computer after I built it, and the thing is a beast, it started Vista up in 20 seconds and it still does 6 months later, having stuffing the system with over a terabyte of data (games, HD videos I've recorded, etc). It's all ready to go with all of my programs opened and ready to go in one minute. Vista, if you didn't know also can adapt to faster connections automatically, such as if you have a T3 line at 45Mbps. Vista will be able to tweak itself to use as much bandwidth as possible when downloading, rather than older operating systems like Windows XP which could only take if you are lucky 15Mbps of internet without optimization.

So honestly from experience and being a hard core gamer, I say that Vista is one of the best OS's there is, hands down, no matter what people say. If you don't like Vista sucking up RAM, by all means either get XP before they stop putting it on the shelves pernamently some time in June, or shut things like Aero, Vista's Quick Search off, ReadyStart (the software that loads your commonly used programs into RAM at boot, if that's the name, can't recall), and tell him to get a rid of all of that OEM crap that comes on the computer, such as those support centers and resource intensive anti virus monitors like Norton.

EDIT: Oh yeah, your hard drive speed is what counts as well. A drive with more capacity, that is SATA/SATA Type II/SAS/RAID 0 will work very well, especially if it has a lot of cache and a very high RPM. Also, the OEMs are not selling XP any more is because XP technically only has a few more years left of support, my guess is around 5 years.

Last edited:

Pi606

Reaction score
Agreed with Smith6612, Vista is a good operating system if your computer can handle it. But as for XP permanently leaving circulation, I don't think that's going to happen. (at least anytime soon)

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
Regardless of how well Vista would run on a high end computer, XP would run even better on that system with the exact same setup!

Yes the bloatware is here to stay, but this doesn't mean you can't stop by any university computer store and pick up OEM copies of XP.

Or you could switch to Linux

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
XP will obviously be in circulation for years, even after the support time frame runs out for Microsoft. What I meant was that they will not be as new copies on store shelves. They will be used copies.

kyledude92107

Reaction score
I have Vista and XP, and I find that I prefer XP...

Vista seems too much like a Beta to me.

kkenny

Reaction score
Regardless of how well Vista would run on a high end computer, XP would run even better on that system with the exact same setup!

Yes the bloatware is here to stay, but this doesn't mean you can't stop by any university computer store and pick up OEM copies of XP.

Yay Linux!

Vista is ok though. I don't know why people say it has slow loading times cause my friend has it loaded and in the login screen after 15~30 seconds. What I guess you should do is try to disable as many startup programs as you can in the beginning so the load time could be a little faster.

I don't know if it works or not really, but in my opinion it works for me. (If it doesn't work, at least it seems like it!)

Darasen

Reaction score
I still prefer 2000 actually. XP is better than the ridiculously bloat Vista though.

Zdroyd

Reaction score
All the "Vista Sucks" comments that we here, EVERY DAY are highly over exagerated.

Vista is not as bad as everyone says, the only reason it has problems is because it is a new system.

And every newb sucks at first! The only way to turn a newb into a skilled
"player" is to help him/her out... So people need to stop saying "Vista Sucks", just like everyone says "Stupid Newb!" and start helping the newb!

Also if you think it sucks so bad DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! Dont just sit around and complain, take action! If you think "Vista Sucks" why dont you make your own OS!

All in all, dont complain unless you plan to help make changes...

(Please note that this was not directed a any one person.)

tregtar

Reaction score

I've been thinking of switching to Linux, there are so many versions out there, which would be the best to use for someon who has never used/seen/installed Linux before?

hopper

Reaction score
I've been thinking of switching to Linux, there are so many versions out there, which would be the best to use for someon who has never used/seen/installed Linux before?
hmm i would say fedora, but thats just my oppinion, its almost as easy to install as windows and is nt much harder to use for just casual use.. Linux doesnt really get 'hard' untill you try and do something 'technical' in my experience, but then again so can windows be 'hard' at parts

Daniel S

Reaction score
I have got a computer that is more than capable of running vista i still think it is slow and their are lots of problems with it.

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
Vista will eventually 'take over' computers, so may as well switch now.

But saying this, there are people out there still using Windows 95.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Tretgar, your best bet would be Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com), there's some brilliant support forums with a knowledgeable community at http://www.ubuntuforums.org/.

I'm using it, running the latest release that comes out today with no issues (currently in beta, release is later today).

Last edited:

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
Hi incase you haven't realized yet but most of the main manufactures of pc's and laptops are not distributing windows xp with their computers - nor are they selling the os.

I know that Dell still offer XP as an option with most of their systems. I very much doubt that XP will disappear for a while yet. Vista's only about 1 year old, and XP SP3 is still to be released.