Noob Web Designer Needs Help

zeusius

Reaction score
I'm using Frontpage 2003 and trying to make a website to help out the tech support people at my job. They don't let us install anything but IE6 on the work CPU so troubleshooting other browsers can be a pain. My question is how do I make a portion of an image file a link? My site is at browsersim.pcriot.com and you can see where I just did a hack job placing buttons near the actual selections in the screenshots I took. Ideally a user could just click on the actual selection in the image. Could it be simply that I'm using old software and the option just isn't there?

zeusius

Reaction score
Could someone maybe direct me to a good web site for learning web design?

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Well, I forgot what the setting in Frontpage is for this, but you can use Frontpage to make clickable regions. As for a site, try W3 Schools.

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
I think what you want is a "Image Map". W3School has an article about them here. There will be software out there to make it easy to create an image map, and there must be a way to do it in Frontpage (But I don't know how).

swirly

Reaction score
You would have to do it with code, I haven't used frontpage but I don't think theres a way to do it there.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
TechAsh above is right, you'll need to use code to do this and yeah, it's called image mapping.

W3 Schools and the W3C Validator will help you here.

Last edited:

kkenny

Reaction score
Yep, what they said. Image Mapping.

And I checked and FrontPage 2003 has practically no support (if any) for image maps. Either you could get something like GIMP/Photoshop to help construct your image map (you have to hand code but the image editing software helps you get pixels correctly) Or I know Dreamweaver CS3 has Image Map Support but the program is very very pricy.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Dreamweaver supports image maps? Goes to show how far ahead Adobe seems in comparison to Microsoft with regards to the Internet.

Microsoft's always been a step behind with FrontPage (now Expression Web) and Silverlight.

Last edited:

tregtar

Reaction score
I believe Photoshop does Image Mapping...not sure if you have access to that program, but I'm 99.99% sure that's the one that can help you.

kkenny

Reaction score
Photoshop I confirm has image maps.
Dreamweaver I recall in CS2 you could put an image on their thing and split it up into objects where when you click/mouseover something happens (basically an imagemap)

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
I have found an online image map creator here, I haven't tested it but it looks quite good.

kkenny

Reaction score
*Moved to graphics & webdesign because it seems more suitable there*

Anyways, that was a good image map creating link techash gave as an alternative if you don't have access to photoshop or any other professional program.