Office 2010 for Students

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Still no 2010 here, and you need to attend university (Y).

Dreamspark is better.

krofunk

Reaction score
I would agree with Wongers, it is good that they offer office at a reduced price but I think most students would go with open office etc as ultimately they both do the exact same thing.

wongers

Reaction score
for what a student is actually going to use Office for, the Microsoft is just a waste of money when OpenOffice does everything for free ^_^

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
for what a student is actually going to use Office for, the Microsoft is just a waste of money when OpenOffice does everything for free ^_^

Does OpenOffice writer got Header and footer support? Does it have math and equation support? Because I haven't found them yet. Also OpenOffice is so boring grey...

blitzkrieg

Reaction score
I tried both Office and OpenOffice and I must say that for a lot of people OO is enough but if you get further in the Office suite (or only for OneNote) you'll find out some functions in Office that isn't in the freeware counterpart. So just listen to your needs, but I use Office. ;P

wongers

Reaction score
Does OpenOffice writer got Header and footer support? Does it have math and equation support? Because I haven't found them yet. Also OpenOffice is so boring grey...

your argument is because its boring grey!? your willing to pay for software so you can do a simple math calculation even tho Windows comes with a Calculator built in, hell Google will do the majority of math problems for you that you search for! and the best you can come back with is, its boring grey?!

you make me sad :(

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
It doesn't do math calculations. It puts in the math as it should look like, as in my math book and everywhere.

((x*b+c)^2/(5+2*3)+Pi(45*e^x)^2+alpha+beta+gamma)/(5x+e^(3x)-32*42+45x)

or

lDJQ8V.jpg

in the first example I can't even see if it is variable e or base e. This is a made up problem I just made, but I've done much more complicated things in school, in both math, physics and chemistry than that. It was even faster and easier to type the equation in word than it was to write it by hand.

Hmm, poor teacher that have to read all those text-equations in students homework which uses OpenOffice... Reading that all day is not fun.

Last edited:

krofunk

Reaction score
i am actually pretty sure its not that hard to skin OO 3.2 so...not so grey? I don't know the differences between mac/windows versions but I have access to all its recourses (being open source and all :rolleyes:) and by equations you mean maths? like 1 + 1 kind of stuff? because the spreadsheet program handles those in the exact same way as excel.