Old VS. New Removals Site

jayuk666

Reaction score
What do people make of the improvements?

Any advice or ideas for the new design?

OLD:

gallery_10833_93_96966.jpg

NEW:

YRLH2.jpg

Please note that the second design is a first, rough draft. Cheers

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
I like the improvements, as the quality of the graphics in the improved version are far better than the ones in the older version.

One thing that may pose a small problem in the second version is that the header image is massive. On a 1024 by 768 resolution screen that I'm using, the image goes off the edge of the screen horizontally, and nearly takes up all the space vertically.

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Nice improvements. It looks fare more professional.

One suggestion though, I'm not sure but I think you could move the navigation menu to the top and make it a bit transparent. I think it would look a bit better.

jayuk666

Reaction score
Thanks guys I will try your idea Leviathon and post here.

I do need to reduce resolution yeah! My bad lol

mjserv

Reaction score
looks good, like the bigger nav for older audiences which is a plus

jayuk666

Reaction score
UPDATE...

Adjusted Resolution;
Adjusted Sign Lighting;
Adjusted Sign Text Position;
Adjusted Banner Brightness & Contrast;
3 Different Link Bar Positions;
One 'Day-time' Banner & one 'Night-time' Banner.

Low Opacity Link Bar at Top:

FinalYRLH-TOP.jpg

Normal Link Bar at Day Time:

FinalYRLH.jpg

Normal Link Bar at Night Time:

FinalYRLH-DARK.jpg

What you think? Which Link Bar? Do you like the Day Time / Night Time Banner change which will be set on a script to change at certain times?

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Cool adjustments but one thing though. When you make a transparent link bar (like in your first sample) I suggest you use black link background, white text and 1px borders.

jayuk666

Reaction score
UPDATE JAN 2010:

Site is now LIVE - http://www.YorkshireRemovalsandLightHaulage.co.uk

Please Review it.

I can see a few things that are bugging me...
Services Page needs a larger image;
Site Map Page looks a little too empty;
Loading times not great;
IE7 - No Padding shows in Divs;
IE6 - No Padding shows in Divs & No PNG's;
IE5 and Below - No Padding, No PNG's and all round CSS and Layout is wrong.

P.S. How come I cannot find the EDIT button for my other posts?

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
It's a little odd that you have date and time instead of a logo but the rest of it compensates for it. It looks professioanl mostly because everything is in it's place.

And yes, don't you think that your domain name is too long?

It looks OK in Opera 10.

jayuk666

Reaction score
It's a little odd that you have date and time instead of a logo but the rest of it compensates for it. It looks professioanl mostly because everything is in it's place.

And yes, don't you think that your domain name is too long?

It looks OK in Opera 10.

Thanks yes but my client already had that domain

mac173

Reaction score
From the F.A.Q.'s page

"
Will my each and every item be placed where I would like them to be placed?
Yes! Each and every one of your items and goods will be placed precisely where you would like them to be placed, hassle free. Our staffs will do everything necessary to make sure your entire move is trouble free."

"Will my" sounds odd to me, I would say "Will each and every..."

"Our staff" in the singular sounds better to me.

"call or try out online quoteation service to get an accurate quote." My suggestion...
"call or try out our Online Quotation Service to get an accurate quote."

"Do I have Arrange parking for" should be "Do I have to Arrange parking for".

"
ask neighbours for visitors permit to use" should be "permit's"

on Help page "if your after a quote." should be "if you are after a quote": your is being used in possesive and that is not appropriate there.

Of course, I am looking at this using American English, not The Queen's English, so if my observations are just differences in dialect, please ignore me.

I notice that the company offers single item moving, but the Online Quotation Service gives no options for single items. I would suggest adding at least an option for large single items like Piano's or furniture, and a statement to call for quotes on smaller items.

Overall I like that site. The graphic with that wooden sign is great! Very eye-catching and unique. And I think the site map is fine as it is. This is not a 123 page corporate site, it does not need a massive site map.

The company comes across as very customer oriented and friendly. I would use them based on that site.

Nice job.

jayuk666

Reaction score
From the F.A.Q.'s page

"
Will my each and every item be placed where I would like them to be placed?
Yes! Each and every one of your items and goods will be placed precisely where you would like them to be placed, hassle free. Our staffs will do everything necessary to make sure your entire move is trouble free."

"Will my" sounds odd to me, I would say "Will each and every..."

"Our staff" in the singular sounds better to me.

"call or try out online quoteation service to get an accurate quote." My suggestion...
"call or try out our Online Quotation Service to get an accurate quote."

"Do I have Arrange parking for" should be "Do I have to Arrange parking for".

"
ask neighbours for visitors permit to use" should be "permit's"

on Help page "if your after a quote." should be "if you are after a quote": your is being used in possesive and that is not appropriate there.

Of course, I am looking at this using American English, not The Queen's English, so if my observations are just differences in dialect, please ignore me.

I notice that the company offers single item moving, but the Online Quotation Service gives no options for single items. I would suggest adding at least an option for large single items like Piano's or furniture, and a statement to call for quotes on smaller items.

Overall I like that site. The graphic with that wooden sign is great! Very eye-catching and unique. And I think the site map is fine as it is. This is not a 123 page corporate site, it does not need a massive site map.

The company comes across as very customer oriented and friendly. I would use them based on that site.

Nice job.

Thank you very much!

The F.A.Q's page was not written by me it was already on the old site before I revamped it. However, I should have double checked the grammar and spelling.

But I will make these changes immediately. As for the 'Single Item Moving' I will indeed add this in now!

Great eyes for spotting these simple errors and thanks very much for the help and support.

I always think that a great, clean, fresh design and very friendly & clear information goes very far in attracting potential customers.

This is my first major LIVE site that I have worked on which has been in the pipeline since Sept.

I am now working on my portfolio ;)

jayuk666

Reaction score
@MODS - Please delete thread

Links Broken so Going to recreate one thread with all my updated work :)