Open Source graphic design

digitalfarm

Reaction score
Hey do any of you all use open source tools such as GIMP ,Inkscape?
I know many of u use photoshop ect.I use them as my photoshop alternative as I am not willing to shell out that amout of $$ .I think they can do the job fine.I will share some of my creations later.

Last edited:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I use the Gimp. I can afford Photoshop, but I find that Gimp can everything I need to do. I'd suggest at least giving gimp a try before buying any graphics editor.

zapzack

Reaction score
I use the Gimp. I can afford Photoshop, but I find that Gimp can everything I need to do. I'd suggest at least giving gimp a try before buying any graphics editor.

If you have Gimp, maybe you should get started on the new site ;)

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I don't cos I don't really have time to learn it and I don't think I really need somethimg like GIMP when I have Photoshop, Fireworks and Corel. But then I'm a professional web and graphic designer and I can afford those tools.

Last edited:

priapus

Reaction score
I used to use photoshop in the past, but I find Gimp now to be my editor of choice, I can do with it almost all of the editing I did in photoshop but with a fraction of the resources that photoshop takes and that without mentioning that Gimp is free.

sindustry

Reaction score
I've used photoshop and illustrator for about 11 years, never could get adjusted to the way gimp works.

If your not as picky as I am, they do have an interface modification for gimp to make it more like photoshop, you can get it at http://www.gimpshop.com/

From what other designers I've talked with in the past say, it's just as capable as photoshop ;)

There's also Paint.net if you dont like the gimp: http://www.getpaint.net/

If your looking for a good alternative to gimp and photoshop on OSX, check out pixelmator.com

Granted paint.net isnt OSS, and pixelmator isnt free, they are still good atlernatives to consider ;)

Last edited:

digitalfarm

Reaction score
Yea i agree Photoshop is the standard.But if you are now learning and not willing to pay ,Gimp is the best. What i find great the fact that you can use photoshop brushes and almost all file types that are supported on photoshop such as psd files on gimp.