open source tools

anirtak143

Reaction score
hi all...
im currently looking for excellent open source tools for development.. also, if possible, a full featured open-source object oriented language. a language that creates binaries for one specific platform.. cross platform languages please.. ^^ required recompiles are okay.. ^^

this is for open source development and for my self tutorial... its kinda clear that im an open source fan..

c++ does count, and i also use one open source compiler..
what i need are more options since c++ is still too advanced for me..

thanks in advance..

welch

Reaction score
I'd say shell scripting is open source since the operating system is lol.

But yea

python
ruby
perl
php
java for the most part is open source if my google search is correct

That's what comes off the top of my head and a quick little google search.

marshian

Reaction score
I'ld say Java, it's cross-platform, for almost every platform is a JRE.
Open source doesn't have to do a lot with the language, compiled C++ isn't revertable to the source, but if you just put the source online, it's an open-source program. In Java you can actually decompile the program from bytecode back to source using some 3rd party programs.

anirtak143

Reaction score
how about languages that dont require virtual machines/runtime environments? but still cross-platform which may requires recompile? ^^

thanks

PS - i cant narrow down my search with google. talking with people works better...

Last edited:

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
how about languages that dont require virtual machines/runtime environments? but still cross-platform which may requires recompile? ^^

thanks

PS - i cant narrow down my search with google. talking with people works better...

Well PHP is cross-platform but it needs the server, and you can't really make real programs for it. I'd go for Java then since it works on mobile devices aswell as on windows/linux/whatever

anirtak143

Reaction score
java requires a virtual machine. but yes, added to my options. ^^ thanks

Scoochi2

Reaction score
Probably the best options are C/C++ or Python.
It really does depend what you're wanting to do with it. However, the two above are suitable for most tasks. All you need to do is to find a compiler suitable for your system :)

EDIT: I've run VB apps on Linux, but maybe that's just me? Meh. Removed anyhow.

Last edited:

xmakina

Reaction score
I'd take VB off that list, it's MS only last I checked.

Why the "no virtual machine" limit? Seems very odd as it's the easiest way to cross-platform code without dozens of recompiles. C and C++ are probably the most supported languages when it comes to the differen't OS' in the world.

natsuki

Reaction score
C/C++ for development. It has the most support and a lot of sources and resources you can find on the net. Java is used by enterprises and for mobiles and is usually good for web. But C/C++ has the most GNU GPL and opensource and lots of free compilers.

anirtak143

Reaction score
I'd take VB off that list, it's MS only last I checked.

Why the "no virtual machine" limit? Seems very odd as it's the easiest way to cross-platform code without dozens of recompiles. C and C++ are probably the most supported languages when it comes to the differen't OS' in the world.

because less experienced people might not find it useful if they still have to download a large virtual machine for a small program to run. ^^

xmakina

Reaction score
Just hopping back to a question that's gone unanswered so far:

im currently looking for excellent open source tools for development..

There may be a few IDE's but invaribly, as nice as open source is in theory, quality products are usually few and far between. If you don't need a full IDE, my strongest recommendation is Notepad++. It's colour coded, supports dozens of languages and is really quick and easy to use. That no actual IDE's have been mentioned is testament to this theory.

mephis

Reaction score
Just hopping back to a question that's gone unanswered so far:

good point xmakina...

I've been using Aptana Studio lately and I quite like it. It's free, open source and cross-platform (Linux, Mac, Windows) which makes it perfect for me.
You can run it stand-alone or as an Eclipse plugin (you might want to check out Eclipse as well).

anirtak143

Reaction score
so now, what language should i write in? ^^ (current options:C, Python,Java).. any more?

natsuki

Reaction score
I'm not sure if Python can compile though, I have python but I know it's a scripting like Perl and Lua. The compilable languages I know of are: C/C++, Java (can be compiled as well as interpreted), Pascal (dunno if still exists), VB/BASIC, LISP (hmm), assembly (not cross-platform at all). For open-source you can use linux it has a built in compiler in it and some packages for development. Everything is open-source. The only other thing to consider will be the complexity of the languages: assembly > LISP > C/C++ > Java > Pascal > Basic (i think..)