Option 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cynical

Reaction score
@ cetutnx1: This Thursday (Nov.24) is Thanksgiving here in the States.

Phil

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Starskey said:
You guys are still making backups right? Because me and my brother aren't able to get to cpanel to make backups.
Can you connect by FTP and download all your files?

MicrotechXP

Reaction score
YAY. I can't wait till this happens. All members that are inactive....Bye-Bye!

I hope all goes well!

Jake

Developer
Contributors
Reaction score
yes, and you have to create a ticket for US to backup your account but you can ALSO beack it up yourself if you can get into CPanel/FTP

two4one

Reaction score
i have a question here...
will the "under construction" members comes under inactive members?? asking becz i am regularly logging but i lost control over the cpanel for the last few days.. so how you differentiate us?

theblazingangel

Prime Account
Reaction score
mattspec said:
theblazingangel said:
Corey, how practical would it be to create an image of the disk drive, or even replace the disk drive itself and use it as the backup? It would solve the time problem of processing a full backup...?

not very, he only wants to keep the bare minimum so that the staff doesnt have to sift through all of the crap unused accounts

It would only have to be kept for a couple of months, and they wouldn't have to sift... let me try to explain the idea again...

When the choices were given, someone suggested making a full backup of everyones accounts so that people away on holiday dont miss out and can still have there accounts restored after corey wipes the server.
Corey, however, pointed out that it would take over a week for the system to complete the backup procedure.

My suggestion is this. Rather than have the system perform a backup, simply image the servers hard disk, or start afresh on a new hard disk. Doing so provides a complete backup in hours or even minutes.
When people requests account restoration via the ticketing system, it can be done by simply pulling the account from the backup.
This also means Corey doesnt have to wait for people to request backups before beginning the wipe, and no-one will loose their data.

Positive aspects of this method:
- no-one would loose data
- full backup will only take an hour or so rather than a week+
- server can be wiped imediately
- restoration time shouldn't take any longer than it would with 'option3'

To me this seems like the best thing to do...

Last edited:

samtong

Reaction score
Hey, this is so far the best suggestion! Have hard of imaging hard disk but servers?

So is this possible?

somebody123

Reaction score
Corey said:
somebody123 said:
Corey said:
I will start backing up accounts Thursday evening after Thanksgiving dinner, I have no idea how many accounts will need to be backed up but we'll estimate it will go into Friday. Once this is complete I will have the server wiped clean with a fresh install of the operating system.

From there we will start restoring accounts... If all goes well I'd think we will have the accounts back up by Sat night or possibly Sunday depending how many.
-Corey

Where does this put me? You mentioned in one of the support tickets that my account had been wiped, but then a 2nd one said that you'd restored the dns, which made it so I could see the Cpanel page, but I couldn't log in. Will my account exist after the wipe/kill considering it's not in the current backups, and if not, is there a way I can re-register it?

My user account: peix10ho
subdomain: pei.x10hosting.com

Thanks in advance

I'm pretty sure I found your account, just put in a ticket to have it backed up.

-Corey

Thanks Corey - much appreciated.

Cheers

Cynical

Reaction score
samtong said:
Hey, this is so far the best suggestion! Have hard of imaging hard disk but servers?

So is this possible?
I don't see why not, seeing as to how a server has hard disk space anyways.

Starskey

Reaction score
Mr. Brownlove said:
Starskey said:
You guys are still making backups right? Because me and my brother aren't able to get to cpanel to make backups.

Nope, can't get to that either.

That's ok, if you guys are making backups, I'll make sure my brother puts in one of those tickets.

Phil

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Starskey said:
Mr. Brownlove said:
Starskey said:

Nope, can't get to that either.

That's ok, if you guys are making backups, I'll make sure my brother puts in one of those tickets.
Alright yea thats a good idea :)

komodolinux

Reaction score
well i still cant access cpanel or anything so cant backup my account. even with the new ip. and yes i have a ticket in the backup and restore section.

Jake

Developer
Contributors
Reaction score
then it will be fine... and the nameservers will be the same as they are now... so all domains will still work without changing the nameserver again.

Last edited:

Jake

Developer
Contributors
Reaction score
no, the day after tomorrow (thursday for me) and thursday for corey :)

komodolinux

Reaction score
a question re cpanel access in relation to backing up etc. i couldnt access c-panel even with the new ip so i asked it to change my password. it said it sent it to my email address but when i checked nothing there. is the cpanel email address not automatically the same one your x10 account is set to? i know if i change my password in the forum it goes to my komodolinux email.

komodolinux

Reaction score
yeh nzguy. for us on the other side of the dateline friday morning is their thursday

bugz

Reaction score
corey plz man help me :'(
my acount got deleted after the cleanup for "inactivity"
isn't there a way to get a backup of my acount?

Status
Not open for further replies.