Over Helping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
There seems to be an issue with people constantly reiterating information that has already been said in help threads. If someone has already answered DO NOT respond with the same answer again, even if worded differently. I'm going to start giving infractions out about this and if you have attained a certain rank it will be jeopardized. People do not need to hear from 5 others that they will not be unsuspended, one person is enough. This is called spamming and is against the rules.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Thanks, you said it with authority, and can back up with the threat.
Now I've done the other thing I hate, and replied in News/Announcements... I guess I'll have to have a beer and think about what I've done.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Can we start tapping report on NEW replies that start having the same problems?

I'm not about to go back and start doing it for all of them or I'd get blocked as a spammer by the ISP, but is it now considered okay to hit report on any to bring them to staff attention quicker? And if we're okay to hit report, do we need to link to this topic in the report, or should it just be "Spam" or something similar for the reason for the report?

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd say it's enough to put "double answer" or "spam", although my personal preference would be the former

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
There seems to be an issue with people constantly reiterating information that has already been said in help threads. If someone has already answered DO NOT respond with the same answer again, even if worded differently. I'm going to start giving infractions out about this and if you have attained a certain rank it will be jeopardized. People do not need to hear from 5 others that they will not be unsuspended, one person is enough. This is called spamming and is against the rules.

It's good that this was publicly mentioned, but sometimes, I'm afraid I'm one of those overhelpful people :eek4:

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
It's good that this was publicly mentioned, but sometimes, I'm afraid I'm one of those overhelpful people :eek4:

We've learned to accept this :lol:

This is a good policy. I think it reinforces the value of the post count and rep based community helpers system. I don't think by and large we have a problem, but I think some people are tempted to do this because there are rewards involved.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm sure this will keep the help threads short and clear... or at least hope it will.

GamingX

Executive Team
Reaction score
Although please remember that if you think the answer is wrong, then you can absolutely feel free to correct the answer. We don't want users to refrain from posting if they think its already been answered. The answer needs to be correct. :p

Last edited:

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Although please remember that if you think the answer is wrong, then you can absolutely feel free to correct the answer. We don't users to refrain from posting if they think its already been answered. The answer needs to be correct. :p

Which is the other half of the reason I'm not digging up old threads to start hitting Report on - a good number of them are either adding little things that were missed in a previous reply, OR are correcting outright incorrect info :)

I'd also recommend watching the post times and allowing some leeway - if it's a reply within like 5 minutes, chances are they were typing it when the other user posted the answer. If it's 5 HOURS, not so much :)

masshuu

Head of the Geese
Community Support
Enemy of the State
Reaction score
yeah I'm gona have to agree with livewire, ive posted a response several times, and was either beat by someone else by a couple minutes, or someone posted a couple minutes after me.

Though anything above 10 minutes should be a warning, anything below can be reasonable if there post is of sufficient length, since they may spend a minute or 2 looking up info.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with deleting your post if it contains the same info as the one by someone who just managed to post quicker. There's a Delete Post button if you go to edit the post.

masshuu

Head of the Geese
Community Support
Enemy of the State
Reaction score
how did i miss that, not used to VB i guess

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of deleting post though. I prefer editing my post, telling that the answer was already given.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
But... what purpose does that show other than effectively just spamming the support thread and trying to keep your post count up? If the answer is already given, it doesn't need someone to say that now, does it?

Status
Not open for further replies.