Paid or Free Hosting

FalseHope

Reaction score
I bought that package, I couldn't let the deal pass, it was just too good. Sure you get 500mb of disk space, but you get 20gb of bandwitdh. It is on one of the paid servers too, so another upside!
But anyways, paid hosting for the win!

Dan

Reaction score
Free hosting at first when you hardly get any visitors because there is not point paying money every month for a site nobody is looking at. If you get a lot of visitors definitely paid, more bandwidth, more reliable (usually) and virtually no downtime (usually!).

chisaku

Reaction score
It's awesome to have free hosting! No doubt about it! But I surely would sometime when I get older to buy paid hosting at x10... it sounds awesome. Still, for this time, the free one is enough for me. :D But then I'll have to start making money as well... I'm just a mere European pupil. xD No jobs or anything yet!

tittat

Reaction score
tittat: That's what the dev package is for. $20/year for 500mb of space, 20gb of bandwidth per month, it's pretty much a good package. I too was hesitant when I saw the Static price and size until I heard about the dev package.
but how many addon domain and databases are therefor this package.

FalseHope

Reaction score
You get:
Email Accounts
0/25
Subdomains
0/10
Parked Domains
0/10
Addon Domains
0/10
Ftp Accounts
0/25
SQL Databases
0/10
Mailing Lists
0/10
From the developmental package. :) It is a great package :D If you think about it, it's less than two dollars per month. So $20 a year, is, like the ideal price, and another good thing about paid hosting :) Pay next to nothing and get the good stuff!

winlux

Reaction score
Well like most people say if you have a small site free is good, but limited. Another way to get small sites going is quite simple actually, unless you have uncle scrooge running your ISP. Another things is that you can grab all those old spare computer parts, get rid of the cob webs and run your own server. The downside to this is that you must ensure that you have a public ip and that you have a static ip, other wise it just creates a pain in the bnehind setting things up. The nice thing about it... well you can have as much freedom with stuff like php configuration etc, mysql configs etc. If it's your first try... DON"T PUT PRIVATE MATERIAL OR IMPORTANT stuff on the site. If you are not very familiar with linux intrusion prevention and configuration... chances are that you WILL get hacked or used for spam but that just teaches you how to better protect your server in the future. It is really a great deal of fun.

FalseHope

Reaction score
Running your own server isn't that easy. You need to have a good connection, so the site doesn't take 5 minutes to load. Your computer needs to actually be half decent. It's probably cheaper and better to just buy hosting. I don't see why you would need to do this just for a website. It's quite pointless. If it was an old computer with like less than 300k ram, the site would run really slow and you would run into a lot of problems. Just as well, you use your money for something good and buy hosting, or even just get free hosting, and save yourself the hassle.

mbhramar

Reaction score
guys, dumb question. but can you give me the link to the paid hosting site of x10hosting as I have spent hours trying to find it.
BTW, paid hosting is the way to go for serious web sites.

easykey

Reaction score
Running your own webserver is actually very cheap. You don't need a high spec PC to run a site even with PHP/MySQL etc. - an old PC that can't run Win XP/Vista very well can be wiped and re-installed with something like Ubuntu Server which costs nothing. It will easily run a complex website and has all the features of any paid hosting package available for nothing.

It's ideal for developing a new site but the problem comes when traffic builds and your ISP starts to notice the odd traffic profile for a home user.

If you're running a commercial site or a site that is relied on by it's users then of course there is no substitute for paid hosting.

Scott B

Reaction score
I bought paid hosting a few days ago, it is great. I have more resources that I need and I haven't noticed my site being down yet :)

Last edited:

kkenny

Reaction score
I would go paid if I could, but it seems that I cant ;)

componentwarehouse

Reaction score
Development package rocks! Theres no downtime, and the support is great, and the price is little more then free. I mean, at less then $2/month how can you resist it? You get much better support and uptime, along with the other features.

Alex

dwd2000

Reaction score
I was using the free service for a few months until I built up a trust with x10. It didn't take long for the trust level to rise. I then took advantage of the "Newsletter Special". More hosting companies should learn from this.

The free service is great when you're starting out and testing the waters. If it doesn't work out, you only lose some time, rather than money.

Sohail

Reaction score
It depends on the amount of resources you need to me. I don't use that much, only two databases and 100 megabytes... If you need over 5 emails, 300 megs, databases and bandwidth then it might be worth paying. I stay with free for now as my business isn't that large at the moment.

Daniel S

Reaction score
I agree with sohailamir52 but also if you are on a paid server the server has more uptime and has no spam or abuse from users so your site will have better uptime and may run slightly faster.

guypants

Reaction score
Free, because say young kids cant pay their way because they cant exactly get a credit card and able to pay over the net right? because when i was younger i had money, but no credit card :(

neelk

Reaction score
If I had money to invest in a paid service then definitely, I'd have chosen a paid plan. Bacause the paid one assures instant support, more features like free domains. More space and there is less trouble. But, now as i am restricted with monetary problem, i am chosing free hosting plan,and well, finding it adequate to my needs.

One more line: "some of the best things in the world comes free, like humanity"

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
If I had the money in my paypal account, I'd take paid hosting. (Or even better, a VPS :biggrin: )
Although, right now I think free hosting is fine. (I am currently developing my site)