PC Building help...Again (no really, maybe I'll actually build it this time)

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
K so anyone who remembers my old topic about this, basically void it from memory cause nothing matches anymore. Like how it usually goes, life intervened and I still dun have the cash for a new pc (for about a week and a half - PAYDAY!)

Here's the interesting part. I recently discovered that in my plans for a dual core pc, I could actually replace the motherboard with one that supports the quad core AMD Phenom (I won't do intel, no offense).

Problem is I have no idea if a quad core 2.2ghz cpu is any better than a dual core 3.0ghz. It seems like it would be, but having that lower GHZ concerns me. Plus the whole "new=shiny" thing, I'm worried about jumping head first into the pool and finding out I'm on the shallow end and regretting it.

So which is the better one? Should I stick with a dual core if I'm doing gaming, or should I jump to quad-core and just not upgrade the pc for a while?

For further reference these are the two I was picking from:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103773 <---dual core
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103226 <---quad core

The motherboard I just saw I might slip into the design regardless (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130162) cause it runs either cpu, and it doesn't really seem to have any major downside compared to the other one (2 memory slots instead of 4, same maximum, and 1 ide port instead of 2 - just means I need to get a 2gb stick instead of 2 1gb sticks to start with 2gb).

And finally the last question: Whether I go dual core or quad core, is there anything I really need to be aware of BESIDES the fact that it'll need a PSU with the proper connector, and a motherboard with the proper socket? I'm so new to dual/quad core I just wanna cover the bases BEFORE I blow my paycheck at newegg :)

Last edited:

brutetal

Reaction score
If you do go AMD quad core, I suggest the 9050's series, they have the error fixed.

HomerJ

Reaction score
Most games these days are single-threaded, but in the future they will likely be targeted at dual or quad-core processors. So, with that you would be better off with a higher frequency dual-core processor.

I would go with the dual-core one. Unless you are doing lots of things that can take advantage of the four cores (video encoding, compiling complex software), you'll be better off with the dual-core one. It will also be much cheaper.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
For right now the most complex thing I might do is run a VMWare machine so I can program for linux (I can barely code for windows though it seems, been a while since I've messed with it).

It's sounding like I should just go dual, which is probably what I'll do. Advantage at least is the board I want should support the Phenom once it gets further along in its life span so maybe I'll jump to it later :)

Dual core it is!

So now I just gotta find a video card in my price range :) Thanks folks!

zeusius

Reaction score
Quad core Phenom Black. OC capability on top of the 4 cores makes it pretty much future proof...for a few years anyways. The most any software out now can take advantage of is duel core to my knowledge. If you want to be cheep and upgrade for the now go duel but plan on having to upgrade again next year. Just my opinion, plus a Spider MB will support the next 2-3 generations of AMD chips so when you do decide to upgrade the Phenom, it should just be a chip instead of the whole platform.

Zangetsu

Reaction score
my opinion is why go duo if you can go quad

oke

duo core
core 1: 3.0ghz
core 2: 3.0ghz

quad core
core 1: 2.2GHz
core 2: 2.2GHz
core 3: 2.2GHz
core 4: 2.2GHz

thats 4x 2.2GHz

Dan

Reaction score
If your not doing enough stuff on your PC that could fully use Quad Core I say go for dual. Also doesn't waste your Paycheck quite so much...

kkenny

Reaction score
Most games these days are single-threaded, but in the future they will likely be targeted at dual or quad-core processors. So, with that you would be better off with a higher frequency dual-core processor.

I would go with the dual-core one. Unless you are doing lots of things that can take advantage of the four cores (video encoding, compiling complex software), you'll be better off with the dual-core one. It will also be much cheaper.

Other things you could use a quad core for is if you want to use it as a test/temporary Webserver, a LAN party gameserver or maybe something that needs to use as much processors as it can. (It's like 2.2GHZ x 4 VS 3.0GHZ x 2)

Other than that if your just going to use it for everyday use I suggest you get the dual core unless theirs a quad core with higher frequency :p