Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
PHP is a great language when you wish to create a website, a web interface or something that links to a database. PHP is a very web-oriented language.

Perl is a sometimes messy but otherwise great language. I hack up little perl scripts now and then, mostly when I need to play with files, as it is one of perl's greatest asset, the speed at which it deals with files.

Python is a more complex language, but has many more features. It is slower than perl with files, and slower than PHP on the web, but has a lot of power. Also the built-in interface to "talk" to code written in another language is pretty good. I ain't using this language a lot since the type of work I do doesn't generally involve cross-language code or any other really complex stuff.

ASP.net is in my opinion, a big fail. I could go on for ages but I'll summarize by saying that there are far more better languages on the net, partly because of the non-existing line between what is client-side and what is server-side. (and everything gets re-compiled to javascript anyway)

devstr

Reaction score
All languages have their advantages and disadvantages. So, I suppose if you were doing some project, you would look at the best ones that you think would be suitable for whatever it is. I do not like Javascript, but I know that it can come in handy. I will probably be more adapted to it when it get's more better OO support.
I have been studying Javascript, as I quite like the idea of AJAX.

I do not like ASP.NET; primary because it is a Microsoft technology.

PHP is probably the most used language for any type of major project. I will always use PHP, as it works great with the open-source database, MySQL.

You cannot really choose your language, since they all have advantages and disadvantages. It depends when it comes down to what you are asked to do/or what you want to do. And it takes a good programmer to understand every language, so he/or she will know which one will be best for the project.

Status
Not open for further replies.