PHP vs. ASP

apcristo

Reaction score
I work with PHP, but i would like to know your point of view about this.

so... What's the advantages and disadvantages of PHP and ASP?.

xmakina

Reaction score
I've no experience with ASP, but I do know this would probably be better placed in the Programming board.

Jake

Developer
Contributors
Reaction score
Well, technically this isn't programming help... and would be placed in crossfire if its a discussion between the two. We would be debating if PHP or ASP is better than one another.

Anyway I know that they can both do most of the same things, matter of taste I guess... I've never used ASP but I have seen some code of it, looked messy to me :)

scottnj

Reaction score
Well, technically this isn't programming help... and would be placed in crossfire if its a discussion between the two. We would be debating if PHP or ASP is better than one another.

Anyway I know that they can both do most of the same things, matter of taste I guess... I've never used ASP but I have seen some code of it, looked messy to me :)

Wow, just looked up some and it does look very messy.
I really haven't seen ASP used that much recently anyways, and I really haven't had a problem with PHP, so I will be sticking with that for a while.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
I've already coded in ASP, since my vista came with it, and there is a lot of backhand code that code be resumed in one line in php. Also, it doesn't output clean html/javascript/css, it's all messy and unclear. So much that you need to include a file that says that when for instance a html validator comes to check, the parser should remove all the AJAX code, which is extremely messy...

jillcatrina

Reaction score
Both programming languages PHP and ASP are used to develop dynamic database oriented websites. Active Server Pages (ASP) is normally from Microsoft and is used only with Internet Information Server that runs on Microsoft Servers also. But on the other hand you can say PHP is platform independent programming languages and can connect with several kinds of databases.
----------------------------
jillcatrina

Message marketing

GBH187

Reaction score
this is definately not the place for this thread

also seems that no-one that has posted yet has ever used asp yet they all have an opinion.....

Asp is quite good if your trying to do something with a database and you have little experience because you can use access databases which is a nice compromise between flat files and a large footprint of running an sql server

if you learn to code in asp php is easy to pick up and vice versa

Dan

Reaction score
I personally hate ASP. I find it messy and much harder to use than PHP.
I'd say PHP is easy to use, it connects easily with a variety of databases and is simply perfect.
PHP is also not created by Microsoft and so can run without problems on any Server whether it be Microsoft or Linux.

ramj1

Reaction score
In my opinion, and as others have stated, I think ASP is very messy. While I haven't worked with it extensively, the little exposure I have had to it hasn't exactly made it one of my favorite languages.
I definitely like coding in PHP much more, not only due to its conciseness, but also to the fact that it seems more logical in my head =D

xPlozion

Reaction score
that and php is alot like C, so it's naturally easy to program in ;)

tittat

Reaction score
I will vote for PHP for the reason i dont know ASP.PHP is well known with its integration with MYSQL.
But many Banking Web applications are written in ASP, i dont know why they prefer ASP instead of PHP.

F

Fahad

I assume by ASP we mean ASP.Net. ASP is obsolete.
That said, I know both languages, and while ASP is the easy choice, PHP is faster, cleaner, more efficient, and easier to read.

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
PHP is easier to understand. The first scripting language I ever learned was JavaScript, and I still like PHP better. PHP is cleaner, easier to code and understand. The only thing ASP has is good database management, but PHP has about the same level management, cross platform, and generally easier coding.

NaHoW

Reaction score
I think ASP is better and more designed and dynamic, but PHP is just much easier to write and understand...

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
PHP.

Reasons:
Cross-plattform
Asp would work on linux with mono, but asp.net doesen't as far as I know. PHP works on both windows,linux
ASP is made by microsoft = bad

Last edited: