Playstation 3 outsells XBOX 360 in January

Status
Not open for further replies.

MicrotechXP

Reaction score
For the first time in a long time the Playstation 3 outsold the XBOX 360 in units sold in the month of January 2008. gaming-ms-nintendo-sony
The PS3 sold 269,000 units against 230,000 for XBOX 360. However, both units was beaten by the Nintendo Wii which had 274,000 units.
Microsoft has said that shortage of machines may have impacted the numbers. “Our retailers are telling us that Xbox 360 is selling as fast as they can restock,” “but due to this high demand, Xbox 360 is experiencing temporary shortages. We are working as quickly as we can to replenish inventory.”
If you compare spending the winner was the XBOX 360 with 297 million followed by 244 million on Wii and $219 million on PS3. $159 million was spent on Xbox 360 games alone in January compared to $131 million on Wii and $80 million for PS3.
To date an estimated 17.7 million XBOX 360’s has been sold, an estimated 10.4 million PS3’s and more than 20 million Wii consoles.

News Source: MicroTechXP

Hazirak

Reaction score
Shortage of Xbox 360s or not, I'll be highly surprised if this is the last time this happens. It might've been a flop in the beginning, but the PS3 has a couple big things going for it now. First of all, that price drop that everyone's been waiting for, but more importantly blu-ray is finally catching on. While the former is what many people (including myself) have been waiting for, the latter will give it staying power while everyone else continues to sell their games on DVD.

enraged

Reaction score
It's probably because everyone got their 360's beforehand.

Last edited:

imaran

Reaction score
ps3 also won in christmas season sales (global, not sure on the US totals)

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
Enraged is right, this is only because there are so many 360 owners that sales are decreasing overall. Majority of people don't own a PS3!

The real news is that the Wii may soon beat TOTAL sales of 360s

Last edited:

kkenny

Reaction score
ps3 also won in christmas season sales (global, not sure on the US totals)

Correction, the Wii beat PS3 in global, and in US.

I think the shortages was the reason why my friend tried to buy an XBox at our local Electronics store, and they said they were sold out -.-

Xemnas

Reaction score
I'm not really affected yet, I don't intend to buy a PS3 until Kingdom Hearts 3 eventually is released for it (though I have heard rumblings of it coming out on Wii; I'd kill myself if that happened).

imaran

Reaction score
Correction, the Wii beat PS3 in global, and in US.

I think the shortages was the reason why my friend tried to buy an XBox at our local Electronics store, and they said they were sold out -.-

Sorry, I meant PS3 vs 360, I wasn't including Wii. My apologies.

Wii has outsold everything for consoles, but not for game sales. Their game sales have been pretty bad outside of mario from the reports I've seen. Mario has been Wii's saving grace.

Wii shouldn't really even be considered with ps3/360 as it is a completely different type of console. It's sales can't continue as they are for too long. I see it having a good 2-3 year run but after that it will go the way of the gamecube (which I still love mine, but you hardly heard anything after Metroid Prime).

Browser

Reaction score
Thats good news, lets hope that the gamers open there eye's again and see how much 360 sucks(although i like it),
also the wii is trashing the competition, ps3 and 360 are hopeless, i hate you wii

MicrotechXP

Reaction score
Enraged is right, this is only because there are so many 360 owners that sales are decreasing overall. Majority of people don't own a PS3!

You got to be kidding me? The XBOX 360 did not even have 10 million sales in its first 1.5 years and the PS3 has already achieved that and +1! Also 20 million is not alot of people that own a console, the PS2 is owned by over 200 million people, so not a lot of people have the X360. :lol:

Archkronos

Reaction score

Everybody knows that Sony count PS3's shipped as PS3's sold.

FalseHope

Reaction score
And you're saying Microsoft doesn't do the same thing? Once they're shipped they're gone. Unless recalled or something default about them.

Clinton

Reaction score
NDP released those sales numbers NOT Sony and they are of consoles SOLD.

Either way, sales go up and down. People try to downplay a good month for Sony yet proceed to smack talk them when they have bad months. :nuts:

Foxhound

Reaction score
It is rediculous to say the reason the Xbox has stopped selling it is because too many people already have an Xbox. The Wii came out around the same time as the Xbox and is still facing shortages. The reason people don't buy the axbox is because they are being swayed to buy the Ps3 because it cost the same amount of money that the xbox360 elite costs and quite frankly I like the new Metal Gear game coming out and since it is ps3 only well I don't see my self buying an xbox360.

Status
Not open for further replies.