Please review my site as well...

uplinked

Reaction score
Hi

I have been working on a web site on my free time and now have
* an old version (http://www.uplinked.x10hosting.com) running
* and an improved version on which I currently work (http://www.laviniaswebpage.co.cc).

Please tell me your thoughts about the new one... as I will soon finalize the functionality improvements and change to this version (on which the mail works but is not yet configured to the domain). Your posts here on x10hosting have been of tremendous help in its development, especially about GoogleApps!

Looking forward to any advice and opinions! =)

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm finding the font size to be a bit on the small side for comfortable reading, especially against the texture. No offense intended, but that's the sort of size we used when we expected people to be running screens at 1024x768, and most netbooks have higher-resolution screens than that these days. Whether or not you'd want to change it would depend a lot on your target audience -- youngsters may be okay with it, but old farts like me are going to have a problem.

There's a big disconnect, too, between your header area (the site logo and menu bar) and the rest of the page. You should probably extend the width of the header to cover the entire content area OR (and this would be taking a design risk that just might pay off if done well) raise the top of your right-hand sidebar area to the top of the page. Having the menu bar suddenly stop in the middle of nowhere (relative to the rest of the page) with the logo centered above looks like a mistake, but having it go full-width or stop for a reason would make it look like it was designed all-of-a-piece instead of just as a bunch of pieces.

I didn't have a particularly slow page load, but it might be a good idea to reduce the size of the canvas texture if others are having a problem. You may even be able to reduce the colour depth significantly while keeping the pixel dimensions -- the idea is to make the file size as small as you can. Canvas, though, is by its nature a repetitive texture, so I'd imagine that you could create a smaller tile size quite a bit as well without it looking funny. I'd make the page background outside of the canvas darker, though, if all of the content is going to appear over the texture -- the stark white is a bit of a draw for the eye.

Keep plugging, and we'll keep looking.

uplinked

Reaction score
@cybrax and @essellar: Thanks a lot for your advice... =) I will see what I can do! Yes, it is a huge background image...

@monwap0730: maybe that was just temporary...???

sankalpgarud98

Reaction score
Hey there,
good to begin with loading. I have read the previous posts about the huge image, but personally that seems okay, isnt taking a hell lot of time. another thing is the navigation. I think the upper navgation might be stretched horizontally to fit the background image. It would give a more pro look. Rest things are optional. You may want to improve the color scheme, typography and so on.
All in all, a good site to be made in free time :)
cheers,

uplinked

Reaction score
@sankalpgarud98 :smile: Thank you for your feedback!

I will think of the typography and so on, I use stylesheets so that might be possible...

sankalpgarud98

Reaction score
And also you may want to check out HTML 5, and the new web fonts which allow you to use any font (not necessarily a web font).
cheers and toasts,

uplinked

Reaction score
Thanks, I will fix my style sheet more professionally. The current one was great for the site's development... =) Rather amusing if I may say it myself. But I understand that you guys think that the design, the feel and the graphics can be tweaked further.

Will do! (",)

uplinked

Reaction score
@amiekweb54: Big thanks! (",)

@kaushal.aniket26: If the site is not loading, maybe it is just temporary...

Also, I fixed some of the layout suggestions and hopefully, the site looks more coherent now.

Thanks a lot for all the comments and views! And if there are more, I am more than glad to hear them!

Darkmere

Reaction score
Your Web Page looks like it has separation alignment. Your Head Image and Nav Bar is Left oriented and the Body is centered. I personally would center the Image and then either center the Nav Bar or span the Nav Bar across the entire width of the active body area

Darkmere

Reaction score
The only thing I really dont like is the Powered By ... in the title

---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

Oh and the Fav-Icon just has to go too

uplinked

Reaction score
@Darkmere and @cateringsensei78: Thanks! (",) I am still working on the minor details!

uplinked

Reaction score
Thank you... Still working on the minor details... the details make the whole. =)

Murphy65

Reaction score
Hi

I have been working on a web site on my free time and now have
* an old version (http://www.uplinked.x10hosting.com) running
* and an improved version on which I currently work (http://www.laviniaswebpage.co.cc).

Please tell me your thoughts about the new one... as I will soon finalize the functionality improvements and change to this version (on which the mail works but is not yet configured to the domain). Your posts here on x10hosting have been of tremendous help in its development, especially about GoogleApps!

Looking forward to any advice and opinions! =)

If may ask what that page present?